The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An idea... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
On my trip I was sitting around thinking, as usual. While I was thinking, I came back to an idea that has often crossed my mind.

What if you could write a number on the palm of your hand, and then close your hand. Then ask someone to name a number from 1 to 100/a playing card. Then slowly open your hand to reveal that number.

What if you could do it without a swami gimmick, with only one hand? I've thought about this problem for some time (much like I thought about how to read a number from the air). Then I hit upon a solution. I'm working on adapting it to the hand as I'd originally thought of, but at the moment it seems to work quite well on a small card (business card, index card, playing card, etc.).

It would be quite a nice thing to do. Someone asks you to tell them what number or short word that they are thinking of, you pull out a playing card and write a number or short word on the back... They name their word/number, and you show that you were dead on, without a swami gimmick (which I personally dislike using).

Curious if it sounds any good (in it's most primitive and raw form of about two paragraphs), I thought I'd send out the idea to say 5 or 6 people to have a look at. Not to review, but just to tell me what you think of it and if the idea could or should be taken farther then it's current state. PM me if you wouldn't mind taking a glance.

Regards,

DekEl
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
This does sound excellent. I have always wanted to do the "prediction on hand" effect, so tell me please how it goes :
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Looks like my edit didn't go through. I had meant to say that if you'd like a glance (at 2 paragraphs of glory 8-) then feel free to PM me, although I'm about to hit the hay. The other addition I wanted to make is that it works well with cards.

So far I've only performed it once, because I'm still working out the kinks, and the handlings. I did it for a predicted time effect on the back of a business card. Worked out quite nicely, actually.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Already exists and has been sold here on The Café. Contact Rob for further.
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
I tried to PM you, but you box is full. I would be very intersted in discussing your idea with you!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Same as sandman90

steve
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Same as sandman90 and steve...
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
I Also
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
Me too ...
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Same here.
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Just awoke and regret to say that it's not a new idea. Reg Blackwood kindly noted that it's already been created using the same method as the one I proposed. Glad I had it looked over before going ahead with it. That's what the Café is for. Smile

Additionally, I'm well aware of Rob's method, but as anyone who has it knows, there are some limitations that would keep it from working with words/cards/numbers from 1 to 100. Smile Although I do like it quite a bit, my method was very different.

While the performance that the other effect created with the idea was rather bland (in my humble opinion), it was indeed created before me and thus I would feel bad about releasing it independently.

Thanks for all of your interest.

Regards,

DekEl
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Sorry to be the one to break the news.
Somebody more well read than me will no doubt tell you who came up with it first.
I'll ask around at the next society meet and let you know.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Although different, I use a card written on my hand prediction using the method taught as Extraordinary Proof on the True Astonishment DVD. I let the spectator see me write a prediction on my hand but don't let them see what it is until the reveal.
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Quote:
While the performance that the other effect created with the idea was rather bland (in my humble opinion), it was indeed created before me and thus I would feel bad about releasing it independently.

Thanks for your honesty and the decision to not release already released material. It seems that in these days not everyone thinks and acts this way. I have bought too many times an ebook that contains material that was releases elsewhere...

Nevertheless a very interesting effect that is worth to think more about!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An idea... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL