The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Scott Alexander on AGT Aug 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
I thought Scott did a terrific job with the vanishing gospel choir. Not sure it needed the double whammy though- I think I would have pulled the entire drape at once. What do you think?
Rich Hill
<BR>www.richhillsillusionshop.com
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I think he did well indeed. He showed his showmanship is up to par with his talent as an illusionist, which in turn shows the judges and america that he can be an all around great performer.

My hat is off to him,,,,,, and I'm not even wearing a hat Smile
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I thought it was great! I hope he makes it to the next round.
-Matt
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Any video links??
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Scott, It hasn't aired on our side of the coast yet...
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
I thought it was great! That was a lot of people to get moving!! Rich, I think he might have not pulled both curtains at once to give the choir some extra time to get into position. A few of those folks probably weren't the worlds fastest movers ;-)
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I agree, he showed exactly what he needed to appeal to the largest voting demographic. It was a very clever choice and he was great as always!

Yes, magically it would have been better for me if the curtains came down at the same time. I'm sure there was a reason. If it was as a "sucker" move it might not have been the best choice. Television compresses things front to back, more so depending on the lens. It makes the cabinet look even closer to the backdrop than it might have been. If it had been way downstage, you could have done the second drop as a sucker bit much like taking the drape off a table on "Where do the Ducks Go?" I always try my best to choose things that lead the eye away from the method. When the front curtain dropped... you're led to the back, then the back curtain drops and you're led to the backdrop. When it's THAT close, that might not have been the best. I would have created something where the entire covering came forward in one pass pulling the eye downstage.

The other real challenge for effects like this is the time kill. The tambourines were a good idea but it needed just one more bit downstage to kill that few seconds and take the heat off of the cabinet more.

Overall a great routine with wonderful elements that should have a broad appeal. Hopefully people will call in!
Ray Pierce
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I only caught the last half of it (45 seconds) but I liked his choice of setting, and though it's an "oldie" it's still a goody. I also like that Scott showed his true skill as a seasoned performer when ad-libbing responses to the judge's comments.

Of course, many performers adhere to the mantra, "There's no such thing as an ad-lib" - knowing the best luck happens to you when you're prepared. Toward that end I would have liked it if Scott had responded "Judge not... lest ye be judged"... but maybe that's just my sense of humor coming to the surface.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-08-03 00:36, w_s_anderson wrote:
Any video links??

Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPSqddXg55o

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thomas... thanks for the link. GREAT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I've never performed anything this big, so I could be ignorant to this, but even though I agree both curtains should've fell at once, I'm guessing the second dropped late to give everyone time to get to the balcony?

But again, I think it would've been better if both had fallen at once.
Mike
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I loved it! Great job Scott!! Very clever routine .... You got my votes.

I also enjoyed the video of seeing the cute kids that I've been helping put through college all of these years.

Dan.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
I didn't like this presentation at all. The curtain should come off once. Pete you might remember Julian who sold the PDF file for this illusion years ago. His dancer troupe were appeared much far and his timing and presentation was perfect. Sorry I just can't find the video of his.

Best,

Las
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I loved Scott's version. The effect was very similar to Julian, but Scott's was performed for an audience, some of whom were not "in the know".

Here is Julian's video: http://www.julianbondmusic.com/media/Jul......nish.wmv .
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
I think Scott bought the illusion from Julian. The link doesn't work for me.

Best,

Las
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It sure looks like Julian's PDF. I never liked the stooge option on Julian's idea but it does need something to sell the seperation from the back.
Ray Pierce
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-08-03 12:43, Ray Pierce wrote:
It sure looks like Julian's PDF. I never liked the stooge option on Julian's idea but it does need something to sell the seperation from the back.

Scott "sold" it by stating that "...the people in the balcony can see behind it...".

TW
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... yeah, I heard that one, too... not my favorite!

"And you can see there is nothing behind my other hand by the Goodyear blimp overhead"

It was better than nothing at all but not the best convincer!
Ray Pierce
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Great presentation. Scott comes across as a very likeable guy.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Thanks guys...had a few great convincers but couldn't do them for reasons beyond...
But like Ray said, better than nothin';-)

Love to say more but....
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Scott Alexander on AGT Aug 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL