We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » To include change work or not to include change work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ostler
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ostler
Hopefully this doesn't break the forum rules. I'm looking at picking up a street hypnosis course such as Streetnosis or Hypnosis Without Trance. I really like the idea of doing sort of miniature shows, possibly as a way to generate traffic to a stage show. I also don't know of anyone in my area doing anything like what Reg is doing so I'd have a good market, at least for a while. And then, the copycats arrive. Just need to save a few more pennies...or maybe they will have a sale....

Anyway! I was wondering if anyone actually puts any real change work into their hypnosis performances. The only stage hypnosis show I've seen either did not include anything or did something not likely to produce any real change. ie "when those of you who said you wanted to quit smoking when you wake up you'll hate cigarettes and not want to smoke, those of you ...."

I'd like to actually help people in part because that's who I am, and in part to thank them for volunteering and providing entertainment to others?

If this isn't allowed to be discussed here (I seem to recall there was something in the forum rules about therapy) please let me know.

Thanks!
Ostler
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Actually, I think that SHOULD be discussed here.

I see no problem with including VALID changework as part of a show.

However, that requires the performer knows what he or she is doing. For example, saying "...when those of you who said you wanted to quit smoking when you wake up you'll hate cigarettes and not want to smoke..." is the antithesis of hypnotherapeutic protocol and is far more likely to have either no effect or be bothersome, have a deleterious word-of-mouth effect on your performances.

If you want to do changework, LEARN CHANGEWORK. Take some training. Read more books than Hypnotherapy for Dummies.

I have seen several shows where the hypnotist says he or she is going to give all the people who come up "a gift," and before he sends them back he or she gives some basic changework to the people on stage. In talking with some of them I have been told that hypnosis shows is excellent advertising for their hypnotherapy practices.
RichDash
View Profile
New user
Northern California
13 Posts

Profile of RichDash
I really can't give any input on the topic other than the fact that I have seen Reg's course and it's good stuff, you will no doubt get quite a bit for the little price tag. To top it off he is quite a nice guy and has helped me quite a bit... Can't go wrong there in my opinion.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi I've never met Reg, but I do believe we all love him in here so there's no need to sell him to us. I'd suggest you simply lean on him and he'll keep you right.
To your question: I disagree with Dmcraig, but that just might be the mood I'm in today. Although he's perfectly correct in that there's no actual problem in including assumed (my word, not his) valid changework, and it does put you forward as a good guy, in my experience, and everyone else's I've ever talked to, it doesn't really work. Oh I KNOW you'll find me someone from somewhere who claims it did work, and they won't be lying, but that' s simply an exception to the rule. They came across a great somnambulist who simply exploded. I've had them. It's the greatest feeling in the world. In fact as I write this I'm changing my mind slightly. LOL!!!

But across the board, in general, it doesn't really work within the masses. At least that's in my book. But my book of course might be wrong. There is one guy among us who claims that he can fix all phobias in 15 mins. Interesting. I'm invited to be on his course in October and will be open to learn something new. Anyone else wanna come have a beer with me in Edinburgh?

To conclude; it's a great marketing ploy, and just as in mentalism and the psychic world, the good news is that no one will remember your failures, only your hits. So.........
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
There is absolutely no need for anybody to be a somnabulist for change work. In fact because someone is a somnambulist doesn't mean they will change. I serioulsy don't even know or care if any of my clients are somnambulists and that's whether its for stage or therapy. Ofcourse for stage you need good subjects that may well be "somnabulists" but then there are also whast you would call Somnambulists that make pretty crap subjects for a show. They just aren't funny etc..

Issuses can be straight forward and many people CAN be cured of phobias in a few minutes but again issuses are more often complicated and need additional work. Phobias are often linked to other phobias and problems and really you shouldn't be messing about with someone if you aren't trained to do so. In some cases you could make things worse if you don't know what you are doing. If I work with phobias or whatever I usually work with a lot of the other issues that are linked.

that's my view anyway feel free to pelt mud throw a tantrum and tell me I'm wrong..

Having said that I used to often get people come see me after a show and enquire about therapy and I never mentiond I even did any. And my shows could be pretty over the top. In the UK you will find withing the guidelines put forward by the home office that it state quite clearly no therapy should be carried out in a public demonstration/show setting.

Im not gonna get into an argument here about legalities - just ask yourself why they put that in place?
hypnomagic
View Profile
New user
UK
33 Posts

Profile of hypnomagic
This is just my opinion.

Entertain on stage.

Save the therapy for the office.

The two don't mix. You are more likely to get an abreaction during therapy work. This is a person you are dealing with and you have a duty of care.

David Bolton
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 15:17, hypnomagic wrote:
This is just my opinion.

Entertain on stage.

Save the therapy for the office.

The two don't mix. You are more likely to get an abreaction during therapy work. This is a person you are dealing with and you have a duty of care.

David Bolton

I agree completely; there is a time and place for each.
Also, a quick performance, or even a full show will likely not be enough to stop them smoking forever...

And, smoking ban rules? Could you even light cigarettes on stage where you are?

In addition, using changework will not be entertaining for people who want to see a guy simulate sex with a mop!

It is a thoughtful idea as a hypnotist though.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Good question Ostler.

That'll teach me to pay more attention to posts...
Thanks all for the kind words said about me and my training.

David's right about keeping the stage for entertainment.
I've never once experienced the desire or opportunity to do any changework during a show and I believe it would only be entertaining for a minority of the audience.

I've even ignored the occasional tongue-in-cheek request for "Can you make him that enthusiastic about <insert skit related behaviour here> at home?"
However I do believe there is a great opportunity for giving general positive, motivational suggestions during the wake-up procedure. In fact I'd say it's almost essential.

On the odd occasion I bump into someone I've hypnotised during a show, I've lost count of the number of times I've been told by a partner, wife or volunteer how much of an effect those simple, positive suggestions had.

Also, if it's a corporate event at the end of a business themed day for example, the clients seem to enjoy it if I tailor some of those suggestions to enhance the learning experience or whatever. I'll even go so far as to say it's even helped get me rebooked.

If you do therapy, just make sure you have a stack of business cards with you. I can't remember the last time I did a show and wasn't asked about it afterwards. (Some agents forbid such behaviour, but mine has given me a stack of business cards bearing my name and his contact details.)

No reason you can't make therapy entertaining though. Under the right circumstances, phenomena is a great convincer/reinforcer.

Reg
Ostler
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ostler
Ok, missed a few days (pesky day, afternoon, some evening day job). Let's see here...

dmkraig - Actually I am studying change work. It is just that the performer in me still seeks attention. Smile

bobser - You hit on an interesting part of my question that I didn't verbalize. "Does EFFECTIVE change work take to long?" I know Reg's blog page includes a link to someone that claims to do 15 minute change work on a variety of issues. Assuming that a portion of that 15 minutes in the induction and deepener, perhaps one could make valid, lasting suggestions for change?

mindpunisher - I'm in the US, but I think I understand your point about making sure I know what I'm getting into before I start. My thinking is that some of the "typical" things I hear people ask about ie. smoking or weight loss, could be candidates for some quick change work.

hypnomagic and EldonFowler - I see you point(s). Like I say, I'm thinking only "basic" most likely "simple" issues for change work.

quicknotist - Thanks for adding your thoughts. I'll make sure to keep plenty of business cards available. Just to balance out the good things said about you I'll say this. I bought your X-Way Pad. There's one thing wrong with it and that is that I didn't think of it! Smile You evil genius you!

Thanks everyone for adding to the discussion! Consensus seems to be to either not do any or do very little if it can be entertaining, but that it could easily backfire.

Ostler
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Thanks!
Glad you like it Smile

Quote:
On 2011-08-06 09:43, Ostler wrote:
quicknotist - Thanks for adding your thoughts. I'll make sure to keep plenty of business cards available. Just to balance out the good things said about you I'll say this. I bought your X-Way Pad. There's one thing wrong with it and that is that I didn't think of it! Smile You evil genius you!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Ostler, in my own experience stage hypnotism and hypnotherapy are symbiotic. The more you learn of one, the better you will be at the other. No, I do not mean that being a great stage hypnotist will turn you into a great hypnotherapist. Rather, I mean that learning the techniques of stage hypnosis--not just how to hypnotize quickly, but how to do things such as recognize who will become your stars and how to bring out strong responses--can help you in hypnotherapy and that techniques of hypnotherapy--such as a hypnotherapist's understanding of how the mind works, word choices, a recognition that trance remains for a few moments after a person emerges from hypnosis and that this state can be used--can improve stage hypnosis skills.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » To include change work or not to include change work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL