The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In League with the Devil by Daniel Love (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
As many of you may remember, a while ago I wrote a glowing review of Daniel Love's book Dream Signs, because I felt that it was brilliant and unique work. I've recently had the enjoyment of purchasing In League with the Devil by Daniel and I must say that it is right up my alley. The book has four performances. I liked 2 in particular, but they are all very powerful and clearly have been tested and refined by Love. Additional note, 80% of the proceeds of this ($20 book) go to Green Peace through an arrangement with Lybrary.com, thus while I don't know where the 20% remaining is going, I have a feeling that Love isn't making anything on the book and is practically giving it away.

The first effect is 20 questions. Frankly, this effect is why I bought the book. It's very similar to some ideas that I myself have recently been playing with (even so far as to be under the 20 questions theme). It relies on a few clever methods and some logical disconnects. While to a degree it is psychological, it is almost sure fire thanks to an idea that Daniel put in that I've tweaked with a little bit. Essentially what happens is that a spectator thinks of a word, and the mentalist non verbally discerns the word and names it, with no questions asked. It relies on three different methods and is very difficult to reverse engineer. I've seen all of the methods before but never altogether. I really, really, like this effect.

The next effect(s) (Prime Machine), I didn't care much for, but then again, PK time effects have never been my favorite.

The last effect doesn't really need explanation. I don't care that much for it, because the idea is far from original and I've read it before, but it would definitely work.

The third effect in the book is, in my opinion, the best one of the four. The effect is called Psycholibri. I feel that this effect is easily worth at least twice the price of the book just by itself. It can be performed impromptu anywhere, any time, any place, for any group, with just a pen, pad and book, all ungaffed and can (and should, for impact) be borrowed.

What happens is this: A spectator chooses any book. The mentalist gets some page/line from the audience, and writes them down. Then the spectator only mentally chooses one of the numbers, and flips to that page, then goes down to the line. With no mathematical shenanigans, the mentalist reads the spectator's mind and names the word(s) on the line.

This one is equally difficult to reverse engineer as 20 questions, and it utilizes several clever methods. It would be almost impossible to mess this one up, despite the psychological flair and appeal that it shares with 20Q. This effect is absolutely brilliant, and may replace Hoy as my preferred impromptu book test handling as long as there is a small group of folks.

This book contains solid routines and effects designed and tested to work. 5 stars.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1777 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Green peace, no thanks
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 00:10, tboehnlein wrote:
Green peace, no thanks

Nice...
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Hmmmmm... no choice of donation could be a bit of an issue if you dislike the organization.

That said, Love's thinking (as it's similar to mine) has been quite helpful in working on my ideas and gives me another angle for both presentation and technique.

Regards,

DekEl
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In League with the Devil by Daniel Love (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL