The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cybershells...Shells for the 21st Century? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have had my set of Cyber Shells for several weeks but have not had time to really check them out until last night... my first impressions are... very high quality props and Bri has put some thought behind these... “A great twist on a classic,” as they say.

As to traditional walnut shells verses Cyber Shells... I believe each to their own; in my opinion those that I would be performing for would be more drawn to the Cyber Shells. I can’t wait to learn the full routine.

Good job Bri!!!

Thanks,
Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-10-07 09:13, MagicJuggler wrote:
As much as I think this is a nifty creative theme for a shell game-ish presentation, anyone notice that the trick's already slightly out of date as no one makes computer mice with track balls anymore?

If you can't figure out how to use that in the routine, then take up macrame. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2011-10-07 09:13, MagicJuggler wrote:
As much as I think this is a nifty creative theme for a shell game-ish presentation, anyone notice that the trick's already slightly out of date as no one makes computer mice with track balls anymore?

Thanks for your kind words MagicJuggler. Actually the innovative aspect isn't just the theme and the design. There are several cunning features hidden right there in plain sight that relate to handling, ease of use and performance that make them absolutely bang up to date. These (together with the design and routine) make them truly unique.

Donnie, Lee, Dr_J_Ayala, Michael, Bill, Bruce, Duaut, Eric etc thank you for your kind words and support. Everyone (without exception) who has actually handled and used these has given nothing but positive, glowing feedback and love them. That's enough for me.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
They look and feel great... Even though I have never used shells before the ease with which I was able to pick up the moves can only be down to the well thought out design, and the years of experience Bri has collected and presented in the wonderful accompanying booklet. The routine as it is described is a great springboard for creating your own story, the tips and psychological explanations of the triple kicker finish allows you to concentrate on your presentation. This is not another hype or scam... This is a professional toolbox ready to put your individual stamp on a classic... Although one of the stories talks about the 3 shell game brought into the twenty first century, I see computer mouse with a ball the pinnacle of the twentieth century, and this is what happened to them...

At the end of the twentieth century the computer mice started loosing their balls... Only one in three had a ball... The rest were optical... Or as we called them "eunuchs"... Having balls was very important to some so they started stealing from each other when they weren't watching... It didn't matter where you looked, the balls always ended up in the place you least expected... Again and again, the balls were stolen... and stolen back... They even ended up with no balls at all... so I started carrying a spare so they wouldn't argue... "We want more transparency" they said... But that would not do... There was one who stole the most and so we imprisoned him and I took all the balls away... One retired with as much cheese as he could eat, the other one was assimilated by the Borg...! Somehow the little sneaky fellow managed to hold on to his balls in the end...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Tim you made my morning! My mouse has no balls! I wondered why he was sooooo unhappy! Great and whimsical take!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Tim, that is hilarious! Well done!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
As Michael Baker is fond of reminding me; the immortal Johnny Carson once said “"If they buy the premise, they'll buy the bit." Good premise here!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Tim, that is hysterical. Thanks for turning a negative into a positive. You're gifted.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Thanks guys... It's all in the story...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks Tim! When Tim emailed me some stuff the booklet that the shells are supplied with had alreeady been printed. I am getting together a little space on the site for Mora Wand Spin and Cybershell users etc (along with a couple of other pending items too.)

Bri
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Great story Tim! That brings it all to life.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
What are the dimensions of theese?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

PM'd you.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
My comment was not intended to criticize as much as point out an amusing irony. I like these shells, and the fact that it opens up a new avenue for presentation is something that appeals to me. It's also very nice to hear that they're well crafted, and not just a novelty item.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks MagicJuggler Smile I did notice that you said you liked it Smile

Incidentally, if you wanted to omit the ballt and call the "pea" a laser dot from an optical mouse I do have a few red ones available...

Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Those mice are so sick.
I'm gonna go with out on a limb and say these are the coolest - 21st century piece of magic recreated.
With today's peeps so comp oriented, these mice will be a friggin blast to work with...
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
First of all I think they're nice looking. They remind me of those desk toys business people have.

The problem I have is the fact they're called 21st century shells. Computer mice were late 20th century. 80s and 90s things. The 21st century is the time of touch screen, things with no buttons at all. Smart phones and tabs (iPads etc..) are where it's at.

In fact I caughy my 2-year-old nephew getting frustrated with the computer the other day because the screen didn't work. The whole concept of having to use a mouse was just alien to him. In fact since getting my new 4S I've not typed a single message. I just tell my phone what I want written and who to send it to and it does the rest.

So for me a mouse is already dated.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Which shows that you clearly have not read the info on them and discovered WHY. Yeah, it's been updated to a mouse design but (at the risk of repeating myself again) it's the hidden features and updated secrets built into them that make the 21st century shells, not simply the fact that they are in the shape of computer mice.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2011-10-19 15:36, Roslyn wrote:
The problem I have is the fact they're called 21st century shells. Computer mice were late 20th century. 80s and 90s things. The 21st century is the time of touch screen, things with no buttons at all. Smart phones and tabs (iPads etc..) are where it's at.

Here is a hair... let's split it! Seriously, no one should have a "problem" with any prop they didn't buy (unless the design was stolen or something). Its just a neat idea for a 3 shell game. I just don't get the negativity and problems people have with this. Either they are over thinking or I am under-thinking. As long as the spectator is enjoying it, you can hide a pea under a dot-matrix printer for all I care.

-Lee
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-10-12 11:32, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
Incidentally, if you wanted to omit the ballt and call the "pea" a laser dot from an optical mouse I do have a few red ones available...

To add on to that beautiful idea - you could put a laser pointer into play and use that as the 'source' for the red ball - such as the red ball either materializing from, or be a remnant of, the laser beam. Maybe it only works in my mind, but at least in my head it works and is a cool idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cybershells...Shells for the 21st Century? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL