The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow the DOW. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 02:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
Seems like just yesterday, sage advice was "Buy quality and hold"..... not so simple nowadays!

That advice is 4% better than it was just yesterday.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 02:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:
That advice is 4% better than it was just yesterday.

I plan to laugh at this once I'm done crying at this. My portfolio ain't lookin' too pretty this evening.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 17:01, Dannydoyle wrote:
So what now? Lets hear all the spin guys tell us why this is not such a bad thing.

Here are the facts:

G.W. Bush took office when the DOW was at 10,587. When he left office, the DOW was at 7,949 - a 25% decrease.

In order for the DOW to behave similarly under Obama (i.e. drop 25% from when he took office), it would have to go to 5,962 when Obama leaves office (whenever that might be).

In fairness, Bush had 2 terms to effect his policies and for the market to react. So a true comparison would be to see the results of the DOW after 8 years of an Obama presidency. And only if the DOW goes below 5,962 after 8 years can you say that the Obama years were worse for the market than the Bush years. Time will tell. But I think it's premature to be hitting the panic button right now.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Can you even form a sentence without blaming Bush for something? What ever happend to the hopey changey guy?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5712 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It's Bush's fault he's in office. Smile
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
LOL Tom!

Ron, considering the repercussions of 10 - 7.5 and 7.5 - 5 would be quite different your statement isn't exactly applicable. Additionally, I don't think it's worth another 4 years to find out.

Any chance we can kick them ALL out in 2012?
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:30, MAKMagic wrote:
LOL Tom!

Ron, considering the repercussions of 10 - 7.5 and 7.5 - 5 would be quite different your statement isn't exactly applicable. Additionally, I don't think it's worth another 4 years to find out.

"Any chance we can kick them ALL out in 2012?"

If only.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 17:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
Can you even form a sentence without blaming Bush for something? What ever happend to the hopey changey guy?

Where was he blaming Bush, not that he doesn't deserve it?

He was comparing Bush's numbers, with what may or may not occur under Obama.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
What ever happend to the hopey changey guy?

Whatever happened to the "Mission Accomplished" guy? The "Let's create jobs by giving tax breaks to the wealthy" guy? The "Give me a surplus and I'll turn it into a deficit" guy? I'll take Hopey Changey guy over him any day.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:30, MAKMagic wrote:
LOL Tom!

10-7.5 and 7.5-5??

I share your disgust of politics in general these days. Good thing the world will end in 2012 anyway. Smile

Ron
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Its quite tough to create economic growth with all the tax breaks go to the "job creators" (the people who create jobs in China, India, and Japan) and the U.S. doesn't make anything anymore.

I read somewhere that our 2 top imports are crude oil and passenger cars. There is plenty of oil to go around, and cars have been able to get 100mpg since the 1950's (seriously). And of course companies like Shell hold all of the patents and refuse to make those sorts of cars. I say we start making cars that get 100mpg, stop buying oil from the middle east, and start exporting high efficiency cars.

Maybe I'm dreaming too much.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 08:57, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Whatever happened to the "Mission Accomplished" guy? The "Let's create jobs by giving tax breaks to the wealthy" guy? The "Give me a surplus and I'll turn it into a deficit" guy? I'll take Hopey Changey guy over him any day.

Ron

BUT THAT GUY YOU HATE SO MUCH IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is even MORE irrelevant each and every day! You can not win an election or run a country based on your irrational hatred of another president. Why can't you get that through your hea? Your messiah has made things far worse.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 12:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 08:57, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Ron

BUT THAT GUY YOU HATE SO MUCH IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is even MORE irrelevant each and every day! You can not win an election or run a country based on your irrational hatred of another president. Why can't you get that through your hea? Your messiah has made things far worse.

To be fair Danny, its the Bush policies that are STILL keeping this country in trouble (his tax breaks to the wealthy, wars, etc.). And for some reason people are still defending them even though they work against their interests.

As for Obama, this weekend he truly showed how weak he is. For someone who claimed to hate Bush's policies, he sure isn't doing anything to overturn them. I should have voted for Nader!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 11:55, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Its quite tough to create economic growth with all the tax breaks go to the "job creators" (the people who create jobs in China, India, and Japan) and the U.S. doesn't make anything anymore.

I read somewhere that our 2 top imports are crude oil and passenger cars. There is plenty of oil to go around, and cars have been able to get 100mpg since the 1950's (seriously). And of course companies like Shell hold all of the patents and refuse to make those sorts of cars. I say we start making cars that get 100mpg, stop buying oil from the middle east, and start exporting high efficiency cars.

Maybe I'm dreaming too much.
I'd be interested to know the source of that information.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Not just avoiding over turning them, but renewing them.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Here's a clip from the documentary Gashole. It shows people who have claimed the technology in the past and what Shell used to admit about their ability to gain efficiency in engines. This clip shows a water injected carburetor, but I don't think it covers the gasoline vapor engine (which is in the documentary, and you can see people on youtube replicate).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJerAkLhuY

Here's a 376 mpg car that used to be owned by shell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1_Vg8dP64&feature=related

I'm not trying to make this thread about gas efficiency, it just seemed relevant to the fact that the oil companies control our economic growth. They want to sell oil at high prices, its that simple.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 12:48, Close.Up.Dave wrote:

As for Obama, this weekend he truly showed how weak he is. I should have voted for Nader.

Hey Dave, I hear you, but I disagree. Obama is not weak at all. It takes an incredibly strong man to resist the will of the majority of the American people. Every poll is quite clear that the vast majority of Americans want the the rich to pay more in order to solve any budget deficit. And it certainly takes a strong and wily politician to put Social Security on the chopping block, an action which even his so-called political opponents didn't dare to bring up first. Again, that's a policy that the American people are strongly against, and therefore it will take someone like Obama to make sure it gets passed.

Yes, you should have voted for Nader. With any luck that might have led to a McCain victory. He would've espoused the same policies as Obama, but there would have been far more activists mobilized actually fighting for progressive change, rather than being stupified and co-opted by Obama's vague promises.

Me? I'm voting for Romney or Palin or Bachmann or whoever they try to scare us with next time. I'll take that dare. It's a slim hope, but four more years of this bi-partisan s**t is more than I can bear.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 13:08, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Here's a clip from the documentary Gashole. It shows people who have claimed the technology in the past and what Shell used to admit about their ability to gain efficiency in engines. This clip shows a water injected carburetor, but I don't think it covers the gasoline vapor engine (which is in the documentary, and you can see people on youtube replicate).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJerAkLhuY

Here's a 376 mpg car that used to be owned by shell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1_Vg8dP64&feature=related

I'm not trying to make this thread about gas efficiency, it just seemed relevant to the fact that the oil companies control our economic growth. They want to sell oil at high prices, its that simple.

It's not quite that simple. They want to sell oil high, but that alone isn't enough. They are able to because they have a cartel. They also have been able to regulate, patent, etc out competing alternatives.

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 13:41, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 12:48, Close.Up.Dave wrote:

As for Obama, this weekend he truly showed how weak he is. I should have voted for Nader.

Hey Dave, I hear you, but I disagree. Obama is not weak at all. It takes an incredibly strong man to resist the will of the majority of the American people. Every poll is quite clear that the vast majority of Americans want the the rich to pay more in order to solve any budget deficit. And it certainly takes a strong and wily politician to put Social Security on the chopping block, an action which even his so-called political opponents didn't dare to bring up first. Again, that's a policy that the American people are strongly against, and therefore it will take someone like Obama to make sure it gets passed.

Yes, you should have voted for Nader. With any luck that might have led to a McCain victory. He would've espoused the same policies as Obama, but there would have been far more activists mobilized actually fighting for progressive change, rather than being stupified and co-opted by Obama's vague promises.

Me? I'm voting for Romney or Palin or Bachmann or whoever they try to scare us with next time. I'll take that dare. It's a slim hope, but four more years of this bi-partisan s**t is more than I can bear.
Oh yes, please let Romney put another conservative or two on the Supreme Court, landmark. Our grandchildren will be dealing with that mess, if we haven't accidentally poisoned all our land by then or been forcibly deported to China.

Look, it's not all about the President. We need more effective members in the House. The whole House is up for re-election every two years, and in some cases, just a handful of votes can win a seat. So leave hopey-changey be for now and get good people into the House.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow the DOW. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL