The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow the DOW. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:52, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:42, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:21, critter wrote:
"If you love somebody, set them free"

Ah, yes...a classic error in subject/pronoun agreement from the former English teacher.

I don't think so. Rather, it is an artifact of a difficult time in our transition away from overtly sexist language.

John

Whether or not it's happened now, at the time he wrote it, political correctness hadn't yet thrown subject/pronoun agreement under the bus. It was the awkwardness of attempting to force a single (and singular) pronoun into the equation of a general statement. Regardless of the reason, though, it's still a grammatical error. If one doesn't wish to be considered sexist, he or she could write "him or her" instead of "them."

Of course, that would disturb the meter of the song, and you're allowed to break a few grammatical rules if you have a currently valid poetic license.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Neologism.

"The bigger they are, the harder they punch"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"There's always someone who can beat you up."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, yes...a classic error in subject/pronoun agreement from the former English teacher.

I don't think so. Rather, it is an artifact of a difficult time in our transition away from overtly sexist language.

John

Whether or not it's happened now, at the time he wrote it, political correctness hadn't yet thrown subject/pronoun agreement under the bus. It was the awkwardness of attempting to force a single (and singular) pronoun into the equation of a general statement. Regardless of the reason, though, it's still a grammatical error. If one doesn't wish to be considered sexist, he or she could write "him or her" instead of "them."

Of course, that would disturb the meter of the song, and you're allowed to break a few grammatical rules if you have a currently valid poetic license.

But what makes it an error? It was becoming common usage at the time. That makes it correct in my books.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"Third time's a charm"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 14:07, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

John

But what makes it an error? It was becoming common usage at the time. That makes it correct in my books.

John

Then we'll agree to disagree. Should I ever have children, I hope that the fact that "Me and Jimmy went to the store" is common usage at elementary schools everywhere won't deter their teachers from marking such a sentence as erroneous on their homework.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is it possible for the market to go down when they have told everyone that they can't sell only buy for 15 days?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 15:27, tommy wrote:
Is it possible for the market to go down when they have told everyone that they can't sell only buy for 15 days?

You can sell all the shares you have. You can even sell some of the ones you don't have. Which is good news for anyone who might want to buy.

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 15:27, tommy wrote:
Wouldn't that freeze the DOW entirely? I thought in most cases, there must be a seller for there to be a buyer.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow the DOW. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL