The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » First Time Out Tomorrow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Well after a couple of years of thinking about pitching, I'm finally taking the plunge. I have a booth at a flea market tomorrow. I have a booth set up. I'm starting at 8:00 in the morning. I'll be there all weekend...

I'm pitching worms and Svengalis.

I've been performing for years, but I'm actually a little nervous! I can perform the routines, and I think I have the pitch down, but who knows! I know I just have to get out there and do it.

Anyway, thanks to all who have put up with me over the past couple of years. In particularly Don, Sideshow Sam, and Pete of magic fuzzle fame. Pete spent a whole lot of time helping me get set up. Heck he practically set up my booth today with his stuff!

Well, it's time for the rubber to meet the road. I'll let you all know how it goes...

(say a prayer!)
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
No prayer needed, but I wish you luck.

I think your performing experience should help and there is no need to be nervous.

What area are you working? As I operate in fleas too, and don't want to step on
any toes.

Again, good luck...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Well things went a lot better than expected. I'm still not very good at it, but I did manage to sell a few today. I sold a little over 40 worms.

I'm still not great at it, but that was better than I expected. Everybody told me it was good for today because the flea was REALLY slow.

I know a bunch of people say "the worm is dead.". Well in TN it is alive and well.

Thanks again for putting up with me. This certainly is a new adventure! Let's just hope tomorrow goes OK too!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Patrick,

You are well on your way...keep up the good work.

All the best to you...

Don
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Thanks Don,

You really put up with me bugging you for a while. I just wanted you to know that it wasn't time wasted.

Now if I can just get the evil woman in the booth next to me to shut up and leave me alone! (she's mad b/c I did better than her today)
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
There is an acronym for woman like that " Can't Understand Normal Thinking " (smile)

Later,Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Hey, P, everybody's gotta start SOMEtime. If you've read any of my posts from when I started, not only was I terrible, I was also SCARED--even tho I'd pitched for 20 years prior to doing cards. And if you've sold 40 worms, you are so far ahead of me--I MAY have sold 4! So never give up.

And don't worry about your friend in the next space. Use your selective hearing. Smile

Jon
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Went back out today, and it was just kind of weird. Didn't sell nearly as much today even though there were a lot more people at the flea market. I several larger crowds than I had yesterday, but just couldn't get much money out of them. I only sold about 10 worms. On the flip side, however, I sold a little over 15 Svengali decks...go figure. I know my close isn't as strong as it needs to be for both the worm and the svens., but I'll keep working on it

Yesterday I was convinced to give up the cards and just stick with the worm. Today just the opposite

Oh and I'll add this...This pitching stuff is HARD WORK! My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurts, and my voice is about shot! I still like it...I just have to get better.

Thanks again guys. I'll keep you updated again tomorrow. Then I won't post as much. (Don't want to wear out my welcome)
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Pitching IS hard work, but it's also great fun and can be very rewarding financially. In my experience, the deck and the worm is a great combination.

Do you have a piece of scrap/sample carpet to stand on? Those concrete floors can be murder on your feet and legs after a few hours. Any carpet store should have a couple of small sample squares that they can give you for free (otherwise they would just throw them away).

If your voice hurts, once you earn a few bucks, consider getting a small wireless PA system; 25 or 30 watts is plenty. Saves your vocal cords, conserves your energy, gets you heard loud and clear in front of the joint, and also gives you more authority over the tip at the same time.

Congrats on your maiden voyage, and good luck to you! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Pslaughter, do you have any updates for us on your pitch?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Well, tomorrow took a little longer to get here than I thought it would! I also didn't want to bug everyone too much with my little adventure.

But here is the summary, sort of...

Well, I went back on Sunday and sold out of the rest of my worms by 1:00 in the afternoon. Actually let me correct that, Pete (of Magic Fuzzle fame) sold out of my remaining stock in just a couple of hours. He came over and worked my booth for a while. He is amazing! He sold more in a couple of hours than I did in two days! I learned a lot from him and just watching him pitch. He really was very kind to me. I know without his help I would have failed miserably. Still I watched his pitch and his close and have been practicing it religiously. After I sold out of worms I went with the Svengali for a while and sold just under 15 decks in two more hours. Then I packed up shop. The crazy lady in the booth next to mine was going nuts and yelling and screaming at me. I was tired and needed to pack up the booth.

All in all it was a very encouraging experience. I already ordered some more worms and am planning on pitching at local fair that is coming up. I have to admit that I'm not crazy about flea markets. I have a feeling that folks come to flea markets to save money, while people come to festivals to spend money. I could be way wrong, but I feel a little more comfortable at festivals and such. It is probably just my comfort level.

One of the most pleasant surprising things I discovered was working with the IT on the worm went a lot better than I expected. It really was manageable. Sure I broke a few, but not nearly as many as I expected. I think the key was to just have a bunch pre-tied so it was easy to grab another when one broke. By the end of the weekend I felt pretty comfortable with the gimmick. I'm sure working outside would make it more difficult, but I think it can still work.

I'm still planning on sticking with it. I'm not going to have quite as much time though. I'm also in law school and school is pretty demanding. So I have to fit performing/pitching in when I have the time.

So there is my update for any of you folks that are curious.

Thanks again for the encouragement! :0)
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Good for you PS! I bought my first supply from him for worms. Festival and fairs are where you make the money. Keep it up. Hopefully I’ll make it over to the TN state fair one day.

On a side note; some neighbors can be coal and some can be gold.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2011-08-18, pslaughter wrote: (snip) I have to admit that I'm not crazy about flea markets. I have a feeling that folks come to flea markets to save money, while people come to festivals to spend money. I could be way wrong, but I feel a little more comfortable at festivals and such. (snip)

Actually, you are exactly right about flea markets versus fairs. However, a flea or two is good place to start working your pitch. Then, when you have the pitch down pat and the knack of pulling in and turning a tip, you can justify paying the higher fees for fairs, sidewalk festivals and so on, because you will be ready to handle them. And don't forget the Xmas bazaars -- you can almost smell the money that is walking around and just waiting to be spent -- and the worms or the Svengali decks make perfect stocking stuffers.

I also learned the worm pitch from Don and Pete (via VHS tapes), and it has always proved to be a no-fail way to attract huge tips and sell tons of worms. You had a good teacher!! Best of luck to you.

BTW, having trouble with neighboring vendors is pretty rare, I have had only one problem in about five years. But if you do have trouble, don't hesitate to contact the show organizer or sponsor ASAP. They don't want unhappy vendors, and will usually try very hard to make things right, especially if you are polite and reasonable about it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » First Time Out Tomorrow (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL