The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In your opinion, what is a GOOD mentalism card effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Daniel has some nice work on card forces too, the verbal kind I mean...
I've asked to be banned
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
Three card Canasta and its variations.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I think my own FARSIGHT is an excellent mental card effect.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I think Derren Brown's smoke is NOT a mentalist effect. It is evidently a trick.
But OOTW is simply beautiful... if well presented.
ACAAN rocks. BUT... I strongly feel that the greatest mentalist effect of all time is being able, and having the balls to, ask someone to simply think of a card and then tell them what it is. I do it as a part of my live show (assuming the conditions are rightof course).
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Still looking for the trick. There is Mentalism in the trick.
Sting
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Sting
Can't believe no one has mentioned Osterlind's Miracle Thought Projection and Radar Deck.
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
I believe that any effect with cards ceases to be a "card trick" when the cards are no longer the focus of the effect.

This applies equally to mentalism as it does to, for instance, a gambling demonstration.

In the latter example, the effect that you're performing is not a demonstration of centre-deals and the like, but instead you are selling the idea that you can (or have... ) used these skills under fire and in heavy company, perhaps scamming some very suspicious customers with your abilities. This fantasy is far more interesting than the act of watching someone deal seconds.

Likewise with mentalism, the cards have to be secondary. The trouble with ACAAN effects are numerous - it's a prediction (which is always hard to play as convincing mentalism), it inevitably involves a lengthy and boring process (dealing the cards), and it's completely impersonal.

I imagine that it's not impossible to create a meaningful, entertaining and interesting ACAAN, but I haven't seen one yet...

If you're after one good example, then Bob Cassidy's card memory routine is perfect. It looks exactly as it would look if he was genuinely performing the feat (whilst still being highly impressive), which is about the most succinct definition of "mentalism" that I know.

Incidentally, I know a chap who can perform this completely legitimately, and at the same speed. He normally just memorises Red/Black order, but I've seen him do a full deck before now... it's amazing.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
The ID is one of my favorites, it all comes down to the way it's presented. I also like to use it with a pendulum and a little electronic device to create a nice routine. Richard's BCS is also something I like to use from time to time as well. Now I know that these aren't really effects yet more less tools but they can make great effects. Also, I can't waite for Ian's Kollostomy killer, sounds like an explosive effect.

I personally don't use cards that much but I do feel that they have there time and place in mentalism.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I like Numbers---hands off
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
I really enjoy card-magic and spent quite some time on learning all the "classics".
However when it comes to mentalism most effects with cards feel like mental magic to me.
As soon as I have to hold something in a dealer-grip-position I feel like I am performing magic.
Of course the reason for that lies in my background with card-magic and is my personal view on things.
But this feeling has a big influence on how I look at card-effects in mentalism.

For me it is really important how you need to handle the cards in order to archive
the result.
If the cards are manipulated by myself too much... it feels like card magic.
If someone has to "pick a card"... it feels like a magic trick to me.
If there is any other procedure involved that doesn't mirror what a lay person would to with a deck of cards... you can guess Smile

That said there are only two effects I am aware of, which totally satisfy my needs when it comes to cards in mentalism.
For some reason they both use a mem****** deck.
1. "Do you want to continue" by B. Richardson
2. And a beautiful routine by Juan Tamariz from Mnemonica where the cards are shuffled face-to-back by the spectator as long as they wish.
In the end you know exactly which cards are face-up and which cards are face-down.

Both effects are brilliant in their structure, premise and method.

Best,

Lexa
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
7 but you heard this from me the last few times you asked this question!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
One that tells the truth of you.
(In reply to the topic)

I did a thing just a few days ago for a doctor who pulled my chest tubes.
He said he never saw anything like it.

The nurses were interested and one could not even respond she was so shocked.
(Just sat and listened for about five minutes)

Note: he was a person with an interest in magic and knew who I am.

He went to the gift shop and bought some playing cards and I showed him
something people have paid over $1,000.00 to see me do in a corporate venue.

It was the first impromptu performance I have done in two years.

But it was not a trick or effect it was a reality that they became part of.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That sounds great Jim, hope you will release it.

For me BCS and other "just think" of a card effects.

Decomp
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:22, Decomposed wrote:

With respect, I think you miss the point.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:

For me BCS and other "just think" of a card effects.

Decomp

BCS is a tool in my opinion.

And if I had to go with such a thing I would use what mick Ayres came up with.
The one presentation he came up with is worth at least $500 in my opinion.
But mick it sold it as part of his last act series.

But we all choos e the tools we use to build.

Best wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:28, Ted wrote:
Quote:

With respect, I think you miss the point.

Point? Smile Perhaps I should have sent him a private PM? Just a (trying to be funny) comment after the fact. J/K Albeit, OT.

You really think Jim would release a card effect he is being paid $1000 to perform?

(For me BCS and other "just think" of a card effects) The meat and potatoes of me post.

With respect also,
Decomposed Smile
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Numerous effects with a S*St*****s stack.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I know it might sound out of place but theres a great effect in mark wilsons complete course in magic where a spectator puts an X on the back of one of the cards behinfd their back and another spectator does the same for the face, at the end they have both signed the same card.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 18:22, SimonG-97 wrote:
I know it might sound out of place but theres a great effect in mark wilsons complete course in magic where a spectator puts an X on the back of one of the cards behinfd their back and another spectator does the same for the face, at the end they have both signed the same card.

Did Mark Wilson really release that as his own? Isn't it in the 13 Steps? Or a very close variation.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Yes, if my memory serves me right he did. I haven't read from his book in a while now. Might be good to dust it off.

EDIT: Just checked it, it's on page 38, Double X Mystery.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » In your opinion, what is a GOOD mentalism card effect? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL