The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts Seminar Recap (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
This past weekend I was able to attend the Thoughts Seminar in Michigan led by the fertile minds of Rick Maue and Patrick Redford. As one might expect it was insightful, educational and just plain fun.

Saturday was an all day affair that began with lectures by Rick Maue and Patrick Redford and culminated in a talk by Ron Bauer. Bauer's presentation focused on how to stop thinking about a routine as a collection of effects and start thinking in terms of theatrical presentation. After a short break there was an open-to-the-public show which started around 8PM. Very nice to see the guys at work.

Following the show a small group of us hung out in Rick's hotel room and found out that he can tell some hilarious jokes and some... well, let's just say less hilarious. ("What is that...corn?") Right now, somewhere 6 guys are cracking up.

Sunday was an all-morning small session where Rick and Patrick got into the real nuts-and-bolts of whatever effects/thoughts that we wanted to discuss. Very illuminating. "Prevaricator" co-creator Ben Blau also offered some unpublished thoughts on the routine. It was a lot of fun picking his brain as well.

A very nice time was had by all. And speaking as someone who doesn't attend these types of functions often, it was worth the trip. Especially considering that as Maue is winding down, this was one of the last opportunities to hear him speak. Very glad I got the opportunity.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Living in the Detroit area, I was upset I wasn't able to attend this local event, but the timing was not right for me. One week later (this weekend) would have been perfect.

It's ok though, because I still plan on attending Richard Osterlind's Detroit area lecture later this month.

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Sorry we missed you, David. Hopefully we'll do it again next year!

-Ben Blau
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
While I'm not sure we'll be doing it again next year (certainly not with the same line-up) it was a great time. The feedback I've been getting has been overwhelmingly positive and I'm very happy to have been able to spend the time with everyone who came out.

Thanks again, everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts Seminar Recap (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL