The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The United States has lost its AAA credit rating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
The United States has lost its AAA credit rating, at least according to Standard & Poor’s (S&P).

Monday should prove to be another rather interesting day in the financial markets.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5733 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
How much weight should one put in a financial institution called "poor"?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 02:37, Tom Cutts wrote:
How much weight should one put in a financial institution called "poor"?

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Cutts,

A lot.

Phil
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
They're the same group that gave a triple a rating to Fannie & Freddie Mac. A week later they collapsed.

If this hope and change, the country has had enough.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Also just a day after their offices were raided by a foreign government.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Rim shot!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 15:22, Kevin Connolly wrote:
They're the same group that gave a triple a rating to Fannie & Freddie Mac. A week later they collapsed.

You have to admit, it is change.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 18:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 15:22, Kevin Connolly wrote:

You have to admit, it is change.

... and we HOPE it will get better...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Hand of The Gnomes of Zürich is afoot.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? so they don't like the Smurfs movie?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
S&P are acting tough after miss-calling the credibility of certain assets pre credit crunch. It will be interesting to see if the other agencies follow suit.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just saw where the United States has been pre-declined for every major credit card available.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm curious why no one really wondered why being in increasing debt for 235 years lead to a triple a rating in the first place?

Then again, what country doesn't have a similar track record.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
I just heard that the Tel Aviv stock exchange opened and crashed and they shut it down for a while.

Tommy
Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
AAA rating isn't as big as you think. If the goverment can pull their fingers out everything will jest be fine
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Canada and Australia both lost their triple A rating (in 1992 and 1986, respectively).

Both won it back. Today, both are said to be among the economically strongest and soundest nations in the world. Canada's economy and finances are routinely described as the best in the Western Hemisphere.

It is a total mystery to me (and probably everyone else here) as to whether the politicians and the people of the United States are willing to make the same sacrifices and work together to restore the S&P rating of the U.S. ... time will tell.

Related reading:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Could-the-......002.aspx
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
Goverments are not as big as you think they are just Bernie Madoff on steroids.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One reason we lost it was due to what can be thought of as a "debt to income ratio". It is symbolic to be sure, it is a pain to be sure and it will make a wonderful campaign distraction for each side to spin. In the end it is little more than that.

It gives people someone to join, or someone to blame. For this reason it will keep the real problem from ever being addressed much less solved any time soon. Each party is at fault in my view.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well the fat lady has started singing http://www.goldprice.org/

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The United States has lost its AAA credit rating (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL