The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Large stage Bizarre show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Forgive me if this question has been asked before.... but is there such a thing as a Bizarre show that is performed on a large stage. What I am thinking Bizarre magic is for the most part wonderful presentations in parlor sized venues. I notice most shows are fairly intimate. What I see most are Ouija,and Tarot and Seance effects. All being wonderful, and by no means am I lumping all of Bizarre into that catagory. But what I see are smaller sized effects. I have been trying to find larger scale effects. I am not sure exactly how to ask the question. But the larger scale Bizarre(at least that is what the people performing it are calling it) seems to be similar to sideshow magic. Piercing body parts, blockheads, etc. Those effects seem bizarre but not dark. So, does Bizarre Magick became a different animal when it loses the intimacy of the small venue. I would think maybe there are dark illusions for a larger show. I hope this question(s) make sense. I am not looking for spooky magic such as Bill Neff from the 1950's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all!
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
@veegates - What do you consider a "large stage"? I have any annual Halloween weekend of performances that I do at a local community theater with a couple of other magicians. I wouldn't consider it a "large stage", but it is quite a bit bigger than say, someone's living room. The theater holds about 105 people. Our show starts with Halloween themed comedy magic, the next performer does geek magic (needle thru arm, razor blades from mouth, etc), there is an intermission, then I perform the bizarre/spooky magic (a number of mentalism effects dressed up as contacting/communicating w/ the spirits).
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Thanks TH1, Around 100 or so, I would consider large. I have been searching and I did find a book by Michael Fraughton by the name Dark Waltz. I think that sounds interesting. I was just curious if you could create the same audience connection on a larger scale and keep the intimatacy that you have on a smaller scale.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
It is definitely a different level/type of intimacy, versus the parlor environment. I make ample use of atmospheric music for all my effects - the theater has a very good sound system. That helps greatly to close the "distance," maintain the intimacy. I start off my set with some humor to create a "bond" with the audience -- we're all friends here, working towards a common goal to contact the spirits...we succeed or fail together. Once I feel we are all on the "same side" (rather than a pompous performer about to "fool" the audience), I start the spooky stuff. I also walk into the audience in between every effect to pull out volunteers to help on stage with each of my "demonstrations." The audience definitely gets creeped out by the time I finish w/ Outlaw Effects' Luna and Banacheck's Psychokinetic Touches.
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Play Dead is a bizarre show.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
TH1
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
I love the idea of walking out and bringing an audience member up on stage, that would definitely help keep the connection. You mentioned giving the audience the creeps, that is what I am searching for. Creepiness on a larger scale. I was afraid most of the feeling would be similar to one of the spook shows from the 1950's
Harley, I will google Play Dead. Thank you!
TH1
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Thank you for the Play Dead link. I love the description...dramatic, unnerving thriller and performed in an abandoned theatre..Sounds wonderful! I actually live on the East Coast. Maybe I will get a chance to see it!!
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Wow, I guess I got my answer...it can and is successfully being done. Thanks so much!! And there is one in Chicago... I should have done a bit more homework, but all the help is greatly appreciated!!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I generally perform for audiences up to 200 people,
working up from parlor size to platform.
As Bizarre is often thought of as close-up,
I think my book may be one of the only, or the only one, that has a 90% stage focus.
Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Play Dead is currently on hiatus. The next incarnation promises to be verrrry interesting!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2130 Posts

Profile of RCP
More please........
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Play dead has actual large scale bizarre illusions...have no doubt.

I'm fairly certain that Harley and RCP would both agree that one illusion (Dorothy Bembridge) stood out as one of the most darkly beautiful theatrical magic moments possibly ever.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes. No fancy description works. Simply yes.

www.bladewalker.com
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1898 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Scroll down for some pictures we took at The New Cut Theatre in Halesworth Suffolk and The Milton Theatre in Huddersfield

http://www.todd-landman.com/?page_id=343

My audiences for this show vary between 60 and 95...

Cheers

Todd
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Eddie Garland, are you referring to Long Beach Dorothy Bembridge? I am close enough to New York when 'Play Dead' comes out of hiatus, I will attend!!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I did an outside street bizarre show for the past 2 years. The stage is not huge but the audience level has reached an estimated 250-350 per show in the street. I usually do it during Halloween for 2 nights (3 last year) and perform 2 shows a night. The street is blocked off from traffic so the place is full of people. People in line for a haunted house can still see the show and if you counted them you could easily add another 150 to the count per show. The method requires that your props be large enough to be seen by the size of the crowd, you exaggerate your movements (like pro wrestlers do when they wind up to throw a punch so the people in the back can see, and involve the audience members when possible. Would such a show work any time of the year? I doubt it. The Halloween season seems to be the drawing card for the street venue.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Weepinwil, I would love to see your show!! You mentioned props needing to be large enough. That is one of the bits I was curious about. Props (for lack of a better word) that I have seen used in Bizarre magic are for the most part small. Ouija boards, Books, Talismans and cards ...I can't figure out how they could be used. I understand exaggerating your movements, that is a very good point. But I cannot picture what props could be used. I mean maybe skulls and such, but I think the show would have to became more illusion oriented. There does not seem to be many illusions that are geared towards bizarre. I have used a Peppers Ghost (a variation) and some of the Satyrs heads are large enough, but I am having a great deal of difficulty coming up with larger illusions that have the spooky feel(or creepiness) without becoming a standard magic trick. It seems bringing audience members up on the stage does help, but do you feel the audience members that are not immediately involved have the same connection? I think the intimate creepiness that you can bestow on a small group of guests is what attracted me to bizarre magic.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Small grouping is always the best, especially for seance type shows but bizarre magic can be modified for the size of the audience. If you do the needle through the arm be sure to use the larger needles and not the short ones that are sometimes advertised. If you use blood make sure there is a lot of it not just a few drops or spurts, I do a razor blade swallowing effect and it is the person on stage that actually helps the audience interpret what they are seeing because of the size of the prop. If you do cards make sure they are super big. Being descriptive in your routine is also a big help. You can help the audience see the smaller stuff by being overly descriptive. And, of course, illusions will be helpful. Last year I did the bisection of an audience member for the group.

As for what the audience feels or thinks with the person on stage, consider this: Does a sport fan feel like they have won or lost a game even though they didn't actually play it? There is something about nationalism type things that connect us to the event even though we don't actively participate in it. When my football team wins, I feel like I have won.

Also, the last 2 years I did walk around bizarre magic from September 15-October 31st on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. That was my favorite (although the 6 stage shows was part of the contract.) The attraction had over 9,000 tickets sold so in that time I guess I entertained close to 5,000 of them in small group setting as they waited in line for as long as 5 hours to get in. Was sort of a captive audience. At the same time, also promoted my 2 books and did a Doug Higley display when people exited the attraction.

I guess I say all of this to say, any type of magic can be adapted for any size grouping with just a little forethought and planning. Is it always the best way? I don't think so, but it is doable if the occasion calls for it.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Large stage Bizarre show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL