The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm going to ask this very very delicately. I'm genuinely curious and I don't wish to offend anyone's beliefs.
I'm trying to understand people of the cloth who do gospel magic, and their audiences.
Here's where it gets tricky, and again I don't want to offend anyone, I really want to know.
In my way of looking at things, I would think it would be blasphemy for a religious performer to imply that s/he had similar powers to a Higher Being. Isn't that being extremely prideful?
How and why has this form of magic become so popular? And why am I wrong?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wrong forum, and wrong assumption about what they claim.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I purposely posted here, as I thought it would cause less controversy here. As I said, I don't want to upset anyone.
I understand that if a Leader turns water into wine, that in some respects it is a lesson, a metaphor about what happened according to religious teachings. But it seems to me that since
1) they are not revealing their methods, and
2) creating a state of wonder in their audiences that is real, with the Leader as the will agent
then it is a strong possibility that there will be the attribution of supernatural power to the Leader by audience members. This sort of thing has happened enough in the past that I would think that scrupulous Leaders would avoid putting themselves into this kind of context.
Seems to me it's a lot different from just playing a banjo.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The ONLY outcome of posting here is hearing from the majority of people who don't engage in your intended subject.

BTW most f the gospel magicians I know are much closer to banjo playing than devious Anti Christ deception.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
While I don't do Gospel magic, I don't claim to have powers of any kind. I am an entertainer, not a shaman.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Landmark, the answer is simple, they don't claim real powers.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I have no idea what a gospel magician even is. What do they do? Do they perform for religious spectators?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I think gospel magicians perform effects that they can use as object lessons in propagating the gospel.

But I don't know, of course.

I'm curious about Tom's reference to the banjo. Tom, you know that for me the banjo is a rock and roll instrument, right?

My performance of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" on the banjo at the last department picnic had the crowd ROARING. Even the radical feminists were throwing their underwear at me. It was a huge success.

I followed it up with a sugary sweet rendition of "Tammy", which went over less well.

But what can I say? I'm an artist.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Stone, videos of you on the banjo?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 22:12, Tom Cutts wrote:

BTW most f the gospel magicians I know are much closer to banjo playing than devious Anti Christ deception.

Devious anti Christ deception? No, that wasn't on my list of possible reasons for gospel magic.
I am saying that it seems a fairly widespread form of gospel entertainment/teaching. Given the associations of MAGICK to western religion, it surprises me that this vehicle is so widespread. As I said, it seems different in quality than singing gospel songs on the banjo or guitar. Just trying to understand more about it and its origins. I could post in the gospel section, but I thought it more likely that some in that section, for whatever reason, might take offense at the question.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always been curious as to what a gospel magician is as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 21:42, landmark wrote:
I'm going to ask this very very delicately. I'm genuinely curious and I don't wish to offend anyone's beliefs.
I'm trying to understand people of the cloth who do gospel magic, and their audiences.

Have look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......16&16194
and see if your questions are already answered in their dialogs
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm still wondering why Tom, having made so many posts in this thread, including his very first one pointing out it was in the wrong section, hasn't used had it moved . . .
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Test
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Stoneunhinged is correct. See What is Gospel Magic?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I'd like to hear if the patter for their tricks differ from "regular" stuff
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember getting a "Buddah Temple Screen" at Lou Tannen's many MANY years ago. I sat there looking it over in a public area in NYC. (Not giving away the secret.) I looked up and saw two Asian gentlemen looking at me and whispering to each other. I looked at the prop trying to see it from their eyes. A screen with three Buddah's on it and three Chinese characters (which I found later said something to the effect of "Cigarettes Sold Here") I was uncomfortable with the prop and wondered how I would feel if an Asian magician was to use a device that had three Christs on it.

A few years later, I found a website that sold Temple Screens with three Jesus's on one side and three Satan's on the other!

Not exactly the same concept as obviously the screen would be used to produce items in regards to the pictures shown (Sinful things from Satan, Life and Grace (or whatever) from Jesus)

As to my own Buddah screen, I put together new covers for it that showed three exclamation points on one side and three question marks on the other.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I found your question to be a valid one Landmark.

Several years ago I played a character for a pilot Children's tv show. While I'm not religious the other cast members were. They performed "gospel magic" before becoming cast members on this show. They were very clear that they never claimed to have super natural powers but were entertainers who used the opportunity to speak about the gospel through stories and entertainment.

This explains in a nutshell what a gospel magician does.
Gospel magic is the use of otherwise standard stage magic tricks and illusions to promote Christian messages. Gospel Magic does not claim to invoke spirits or paranormal powers.
Gospel Magic is intended to present the Christian good news through "visual parables"; the trick or illusion in Gospel Magic is used to present theological points in an entertaining way with the intention that people will remember[citation needed].
Gospel Magic is generally presented as stage magic or platform magic, but it can be adapted to close-up magic or micromagic situations. It is uncommon for a Gospel Magician to use mentalism.

On an other note, the former magic magazine, Newtops, contained a column on Gospel magic which gave patter for existing effects that could be used to enhance gospel stories.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well now I know what to do if I want to ensure that a thread will be revived three years later...

Anyway, thanks Chrystal for your reply.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Was it god?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL