The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 66 year old grandmother held for 12 days over motor oil thought to be heroin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I disagree with the following quote that's in the article:
Quote:
“The appalling treatment of an American grandmother … exposes the problem of relying on fallible technology at the expense of common sense and human intelligence,” an editorial in the newspaper said.

I agree with the part about fallible technology, but not about "common sense and human intelligence." Very old people have smuggled drugs before and some were even grandmothers.

Grandmother jailed for smuggling drugs

Grandmother smuggled £1m cocaine in mobility car

UK: Scotland Grandmother used child to smuggle drugs

Grandmother jailed for drug smuggling attempt

Grandmother jailed over smuggling drugs

Agency arrests grandmother for drug trafficking

(I'm not sure if this isn't the same story as one of the stories above.
Drug-Smuggling Grandma

Perhaps they need a better drug test. Perhaps they could have expedited the second test. And, clearly it wasn't fair that this woman was arrested, but the idea that because she's a grandmother makes it unreasonable that she would smuggle drugs isn't a reasonable idea. (It's a form of age discrimination! Smile )
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
If she wasn't a grandma, would it make the news? And she was crossing the border which means better searches. I wonder how many 66 year old men were falsely arrested this year.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes Bill, you are absolutely correct. All kinds do get involved in such activities.

Unfortunately, and this is not to contradict that point, all kinds of innocents get caught up as a result of these wars, as is generally the case with all wars.

Not just by the state pursuing the wrong people, but by those driven to crime.
I don't want anything to do with heroin, or the people using it, but because it is driven underground, the price is ridiculously inflated, and it is dangerous to obtain, and so those desperate to obtain it are even more likely to resort to crime to fund do so, putting myself, and others in far more danger than necessary.

Mean while if it they could get it right along side aspirin, get their Bayer heroin at the pharmacy, then they would likely have a lot less reason to break into my, or your homes to get the money needed.

Image

Image
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 13:39, kcg5 wrote:
If she wasn't a grandma, would it make the news? And she was crossing the border which means better searches. I wonder how many 66 year old men were falsely arrested this year.


I imagine it would have, considering the screw up of mistaking motor oil for heroin, and, you know, locking someone up for 12 days for it, not to mention no apology or compensation for being caged like that. At least not that I've heard yet.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
The inventiveness of narcotics smugglers and traffickers could put conjurers to shame. It would not surprise me in the least to find that through experimentation they have found a way to mix heroin into motor oil and then extract it later. I think that if someone thinks grandmothers are all innocence and niceness they need to snap out of it. Those old birds are just as susceptible to greed or manipulation as anyone else of any age. There is no shortage of grandchildren out there messed up on this stuff who can wheedle and whine at the grandparents to bail them out of a jam (Please grandma! If you don't I'll get beat up, these guys mean it!") People are duped regularly and being a grandparent is no protection.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
They always get their Gran.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 15:54, tommy wrote:
They always get their Gran.


Ha! Very good!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 15:49, thorndyke wrote:
It would not surprise me in the least to find that through experimentation they have found a way to mix heroin into motor oil and then extract it later.

Nor would it surprise me.

What would surprise me is if they found a way to mix heroin into motor oil and then extract it later so that no trace of motor oil was left in the heroin. Unfortunately, the health and safety of their clientele isn't typically at the top of the drug dealer's priority list.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
Mean while if it they could get it right along side aspirin, get their Bayer heroin at the pharmacy, then they would likely have a lot less reason to break into my, or your homes to get the money needed.



Yes, because pharmacies give everything away for free!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 20:20, critter wrote:
Quote:
Mean while if it they could get it right along side aspirin, get their Bayer heroin at the pharmacy, then they would likely have a lot less reason to break into my, or your homes to get the money needed.



Yes, because pharmacies give everything away for free!


Who said anything about free? But it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. How much is aspirin?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 20:20, critter wrote:
Quote:
Mean while if it they could get it right along side aspirin, get their Bayer heroin at the pharmacy, then they would likely have a lot less reason to break into my, or your homes to get the money needed.



Yes, because pharmacies give everything away for free!


Who said anything about free? But it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. How much is aspirin?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
How much is Buspar?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 21:59, critter wrote:
How much is Buspar?


Is it given a monopoly by the government?

I'm pretty sure they haven't spent "millions" developing heorin, cocain, or pot, that they can convince the government to be their strong arm preventing others from selling it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Like an herbal or other traditional remedy?
Why don't you head on over to a naturopath and grab a bottle of Yartsa Gompo and get back to me on that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, seeing as how that's not exactly something most can grow in a field, making it fairly rare/hard to get in that respect, one would expect it to be much more costly.

If heroin was only able to be found in tibet, 4000 meters above sea level, then one might find it a bit more costly, and even more so in the black market.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
So, we are done here?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 08:56, gdw wrote:
Well, seeing as how that's not exactly something most can grow in a field, making it fairly rare/hard to get in that respect, one would expect it to be much more costly.

If heroin was only able to be found in tibet, 4000 meters above sea level, then one might find it a bit more costly, and even more so in the black market.


No, no. I said buy a bottle and then get back to me. You violated the rules and are therefore disqualified.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lol, ok then critter.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Personally though, I think with all of the tourism to Everest that if every tourist brought back a couple of bottles we could supply the world. Of course, that would probably lead to the extinction of the species. Speaking of, I'mma get me a bucket of fried Dodo.
Did you know that it constantly smells of human waste at the base of Everest now because of all the tourists? Nasty.
I used to want to check it out but I've heard enough horror stories now to turn me off.

Me, I'm just gonna' use this from now on:
Image
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 66 year old grandmother held for 12 days over motor oil thought to be heroin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL