The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America, we are a FAT country. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I am in Ohio, visiting family. Maybe its that Ive lived in California my whole life, but I am amazed on a hourly basis by the amount of overweight people/overweight kids/and incredible numbers of fast food places. For instance, in one strip mall near where I am there is: burger king, mcdonalds, wendys, taco bell/pizzahut, KFC/long john silvers (those last four we just two buildings), Bob Evans (where sausage is a desert), popeyes, and a couple others I cant remember. (in Ohio, the KFCs sell liver and gizzard.......)

I know I cant say much, I eat horribly also-but I am quite skinny, just lucky I guess. Is it wrong to make these observations?

One thing I wish America would catch on to is that YOU ARE MAKING YOUR KIDS FAT AS H#LL, AND THEY WILL NOT LIVE AS LONG BECAUSE OF IT-they will be picked on more than other kids, have poor self esteem, it truly never ends when it involves kids.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Call me Pollyanna but I can see some positive element in most seemingly negative situations. The upside to the obesity issue is that future generations will not live as long and thus Social Security/Medicare will last longer! Of course I could be wrong.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Studies have shown that fat people who exercise (like me) live longer and stay active longer than skinny people who don't.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The web is full of contradictory information about who is how fat, so it's hard to be sure about these things. Here is a graph from an OECD report; it should be pretty reliable. If you link to the report you can get more detailed information for each country.

For those who care, I would be in the overweight (BMI>25) but not in the obese (BMI>30) group.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Let us eat and drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

For your convenience, here is a BMI Calculator.

Quoting the Isaiah, Tommy? This is an interesting development. Smile

John
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Why do you hate fat people so much?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks to Doc Johnson, I will outlive you all!
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
Allan Sherman, Hail to thee Fat Person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoa0-U8-Yw
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am so glad it isn't just me!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
6' 2", 255 lbs. Obese.

We can expect Aaron Curry to drop dead from diabetes complications or suffocate in his sleep any day now.
The BMI sucks.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-08 14:13, critter wrote:
6' 2", 255 lbs. Obese.

We can expect Aaron Curry to drop dead from diabetes complications or suffocate in his sleep any day now.
The BMI sucks.

It is imperfect. That's far from sucking.

John
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The average life expectancy of an NFL player is in the 50s.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The BMI is not a great indication of health. Sure it is a guideline, but definately an imperfect one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The BMI is not a great way to define obeseness. To defend myself, as I don't wish to offend-I was just surprised. I guess its a form of culture shock, I had not been back here in a long time. Its not that I have any dislike for people that are overweight, far from it. I just can see why this is happening to our country.

And the main reason is the children. They do not know what is being done to them, and how it will affect them later in life.

At the camp I used to work at, there was a boy who went there. He was a overweight for his age/size. When ever he did "well" at camp, or had a good day-his mom would take him to in n' out (a popular fast food place).
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Ain't no thang dude, I get where you're coming from.

Don't care what the average is for all football players because that includes all of the football players who really are fat or who get fat and (more importantly) sedentary upon retirement, and Curry fits niether category. Yet. I was picking one athlete, not one category of athletes, so the response was to an arguement I wasn't making.
Not that I think fat and unhealthy are synonyms, 'cause I don't.

A bit of fun (and this isn't to provoke a discussion on the source of the story)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149807,00.html

I stand by my opinion that the BMI sucks. Maybe in conjuction with other things it doesn't, but too many rely on the BMI alone.
The BMI and the polygraph are, in my opinion, anachronisms that need to be replaced or eliminated altogether.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
I actually like this article a lot better, it includes many of the things I hate about the BMI, plus a few others:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story......06268439
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
BMI scale is a rubbish indicator, as I personally don't think I am fat being 6ft and 198lbs, which puts me slightly overweight by the BMI scale. In saying that though I love it when people say yeah BMI is rubbish when they are 5ft 8 and weigh 400lbs.

USA is a fat nation but so is the UK, New Zealand, Canada and many more countries. We are turning in a fat world not just fat countries.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 16:05, critter wrote:

I actually like this article a lot better, it includes many of the things I hate about the BMI, plus a few others:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story......06268439

As the article notes, the BMI is a measure that was designed as a quick and easy way to measure the degree of obesity of the general population. But not for individuals.

As this thread was originally talking about the general level of obesity it seems that the BMI _would_ be an appropriate measure to consider, i.e. as in the OECD statistics Magnus mentioned. Again, if we are talking about the level of obesity in the overall population in different nations.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:

As this thread was originally talking about the general level of obesity it seems that the BMI _would_ be an appropriate measure to consider, i.e. as in the OECD statistics Magnus mentioned. Again, if we are talking about the level of obesity in the overall population in different nations.

I disagree. The thread was originally talking about FAT. And the BMI is a far less than ideal measure of fat for any sized population. All it measures is a height to weight ratio. That's it. It can not measure fat. It's impossible for the BMI to measure fat at all. Not in one person and not in a million people. It can only give a height to weight ratio which will tell you nothing about what that weight consists of.

It was my own addition to the discussion to say that neither weight nor fat should be the primary measure of health.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America, we are a FAT country. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL