The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America, we are a FAT country. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It depends on a WHOLE HOST of things if you are healthy. BMI is hardly a factor.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well critter and Danny, you know how much I hold your medical expertise in esteem. Perhaps you should contact the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Medical Association to let them know about the error of their ways.

Granted both links I give are specifically about children and adolescents, but one suspects they are giving this bad advice to adults too.

Look at what the CDC says about BMI:

Quote:
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a child's weight and height. BMI is a reliable indicator of body fatness for most children and teens. BMI does not measure body fat directly, but research has shown that BMI correlates to direct measures of body fat, such as underwater weighing and dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA).1 BMI can be considered an alternative for direct measures of body fat. Additionally, BMI is an inexpensive and easy-to-perform method of screening for weight categories that may lead to health problems.

Terrible!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks, the condescending tone really makes me want to listen to every word after it.
How long did you work in the medical field and what did you do?

Enjoy:
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=48972

"Advisory Panel Cautions Against Exclusive BMI
A respected medical advisory panel in the US has cautioned doctors against exclusively using the body-mass index as a way of determining whether children are overweight. BMI cannot determine if the weight is fat or lean muscle."

Well I'll be ***ed if that ain't exactly what I ****ing said.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-08 19:10, critter wrote:
Thanks, the condescending tone really makes me want to listen to every word after it.

Sorry I was playing for comedy.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Another interesting point of view:
Harris, C.V., Bradlyn, A.S., Coffman, J., Gunel, E., Cottrell, L.
BMI-based body size guides for women and men: development and validation of a novel pictorial method to assess weight-related concepts. International Journal of Obesity; Feb2008, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p336-342
DOI:10.1038/sj.ijo.0803704.

It's not about the health aspects, but it's interesting nun the less.

Although, I probably misunderstood it because I'm so stupid that I don't know anything about biology or medicine despite an A average in Anatomy & Physiology and having worked in the field.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:

Enjoy:

A respected medical advisory panel in the US has cautioned doctors against exclusively using the body-mass index as a way of determining whether children are overweight. BMI cannot determine if the weight is fat or lean muscle."

In all seriousness, it isn't what you said. You said "BMI sucks"--twice.

But behind all that we likely agree that BMI is actually pretty good, but it is not the gospel.

John, now in humourless mode.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 19:56, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Sorry I was playing for comedy.

Missed this post before my last one.

Accepted then.
I'm a little sensitive about being called stupid or anything similar. People in my personal life who don't know me well have always underestimated my intelligence because I'm a little socially awkward so it really ****es me off faster than almost anything. Sorry if I overreact, it's my hot button.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 20:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Enjoy:

In all seriousness, it isn't what you said. You said "BMI sucks"--twice.

Well I also said:
Quote:
And the BMI is a far less than ideal measure of fat for any sized population. All it measures is a height to weight ratio. That's it. It can not measure fat. It's impossible for the BMI to measure fat at all. Not in one person and not in a million people. It can only give a height to weight ratio which will tell you nothing about what that weight consists of.

Which corresponds pretty well with:
Quote:
BMI cannot determine if the weight is fat or lean muscle.

So It seems to me like it is exactly what I said, though I used more words to say it.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I see so many grotesquely obese Americans on television.

It is gross and unhealthy and ugly and it is time you did something about it.

I, of course, am not grotesquely obese.

I am voluptuous, or perhaps rubenesque. Certainly I am not fat. Other people are fat.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 10:05, Destiny wrote:

It is gross and unhealthy and ugly and it is time you did something about it.

Perhaps you should simply stop watching television: problem solved.

Quote:
I am voluptuous, or perhaps rubenesque.

How about zaftig?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:

I take it you get the "Roseanne" show? Smile
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 10:14, S2000magician wrote:
How about zaftig?

I had to google that but, yes, I am zaftig. I am voluptuous, rubenesque, big boned and zaftig.

I am many thing, but thankfully, not fat, obese, or lard-a*sed.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 10:56, kcg5 wrote:

One thing I wish America would catch on to is that YOU ARE MAKING YOUR KIDS FAT AS H#LL, AND THEY WILL NOT LIVE AS LONG BECAUSE OF IT-they will be picked on more than other kids, have poor self esteem, it truly never ends when it involves kids.

And just where is the next generation of magicians to come from then? Without being picked on and\or having poor self esteem there is no reason to get involved in magic.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Well for the chicks. Obviously.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 11:05, Harry Murphy wrote:
Call me Pollyanna but I can see some positive element in most seemingly negative situations. The upside to the obesity issue is that future generations will not live as long and thus Social Security/Medicare will last longer! Of course I could be wrong.

Well said Harry!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 10:46, critter wrote:
Quote:

I take it you get the "Roseanne" show? Smile
I'm suddenly reminded of one of those medical docu-drama shows they have on Discovery Health- "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant", which is basically about women who go into the hospital with some medical complaint, and come out with a new baby. Or go to the bathroom and have a kid pop out. You'd think there'd maybe be enough material for a one-hour show. Unfortunately, it was a whole series. And the actor selection for the reinactments is kind- when they interview the actual person, you suddenly realize why they didn't know they were pregnant (sometimes with twins.) It's not the camera that's adding 70 pounds...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Reminds me of the old movies when the wife tells the husband she's pregnant and he's dumbfounded. He had no clue??
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Free BBQ at Famous Daves on Sun Aug,14 (up to $15.00) if your name is David, Dave, Davy or some varation thereof. 1/2 price if it's your middle name. Go get some free BBQ Dave, you fat ***.

http://www.famousdaves.com/
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 16:24, Marlin1894 wrote:
Free BBQ at Famous Daves on Sun Aug,14 (up to $15.00) if your name is David, Dave, Davy or some varation thereof. 1/2 price if it's your middle name. Go get some free BBQ Dave, you fat ***.

http://www.famousdaves.com/

Wow. My Grandpa, at least two of my uncles, and at least one cousin are all named Dave.
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America, we are a FAT country. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL