The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » FOR THE SERIOUS COLLECTOR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
In the books for sale area of the Café, I have listed a hard to find copy of "Gems Of Mental Magic by Brown and Buckley 1947,

Only 125 copies of this rare HB cassic were ever printed.

Check on Amazon books to see what they are fetching,

watch for future listings as my large library is sold off piece by piece.

Kotah
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
125 copies only ? I have one of the copies, but didn't know that it was so scarce.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Yes 125 were printed. You friend curator have one of the few.

K
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I have a copy as well. Here is my question for you two either of you have the dust jacket or have ever seen a copy of this with a dust jacket? If some one has a copy with the dust jacket if it exists could some one post a link to a photo of it. My has no dust jacket and I would like to know what the thing looked like if it existed at all.

thanks
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Bill, according to our local SF Bay area magic book seller,(who was kind enough to respond so quickly), none of the books of the "Buckley Trilogy" had a dust jacket.
Mine doesn't either. That's 4 of 125 accounted for, then..
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
The value of mine seems to be steadidly diminishing, Not that in todasys economy it ever had a chance of selling.

I do have others which may.

How are you doing BIll ?

Kotah
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I am good Kotah,

You mentioned value for this book and from my research this book was one of only a few that, were or are, rare but rarity did not affect value, an example is a copy sold at on on line magic auction within the last year only sold for about 22.50. What I think is happing with this work is that it was overlooked by most and the fact that most have never seen a copy is holding it back. A shame really since the material contained is not to bad with some of the ideas being very good.

I would like to know who all here has a copy? I know of another in a private collection so that makes 5. I think many of the copies of this book may be lost at this point and this book could be much rarer than thought. I was talking with another collector a while back and he felt that the printer or publisher may have only printed part of the run of 125 do in part to lack of order upon first release. Without have any confirmation its hard to know for sure and that's why this thread is of interest and some importance to the book collector rare market.

Cheers
Bill
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
It is available through trickshop and lybrary.com which has probably decreased the value of the actual content to your average magician/mentalist. So it's value will predominantly be to collectors who want one of the few copies. Even with just 125 copies I was still able to locate one for sale at £15 inc. postage from US to UK.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Including postage? Now that is a deal.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
THanks one and all for the reality check.

K.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » FOR THE SERIOUS COLLECTOR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL