The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chainlink fences are historic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Why oh why, do we even respond?

Because Glenn, we live in things called communities, and our actions impact on others, so we try to work things out so we can all share the community as happily as possible - but in life things sometimes go wrong - we (as we all share some responsibility for our government, even if by our lack of participation) sometimes get things wrong. When we do, we usually do our best to fix it. That is because most people, in my experience at least, are decent and just want to live a happy life, and wish the same for others. A minority are !@#$%^&*( and need to be guarded against.

Life is not perfect.

It never will be.

It will not be perfect under the system we in the Western democracies share.

It will not be under your idealised Utopia.

However the system we currently use has provided more happiness and freedom for more people than any other tried.

Your ideas, in my judgement, are never ever likely to get a run.

QUESTIONS: Do you seriously believe any country, anywhere in the world, is likely to try and implement your anarchist ideas any time soon?

If not, why bother with your continual search for the little hiccups in our system?

What single thing have you done to right any of these wrongs other than bludgening us with a daily diet of usually trivial shortcomings of the system?

Wrong as many of your examples are, they just do not compare with the failings of other systems of government now, and governments past.

I wonder how many African children starved to death today. I wonder how many people the Burmese military, North Korean personality cultists and Pakistani militants tortured and killed today. I wonder how many people died at the whim of the Libyan and Syrian dictators today.

But you are outraged by a f****** chain link fence.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
It might not be perfect but it's never been better than what we have attempted here in the "western world". I for one can't think of a better system and I sure as heck don't want to go backwards or revert to whats already proven to be a lot worse.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5709 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, like many of your links, the answer is right there in the article. But you seem to never read them completely.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
What did any of that have to do with "historical" chain link fences?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:23, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yes, like many of your links, the answer is right there in the article. But you seem to never read them completely.

Tom, your assumptions and ignorance never cease to amaze me.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5709 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
That would be because, as everyone here can plainly see, the assumptions and ignorance are yours.

Are you trying to claim that why chain link fences are "historic" in this neighborhood is not in the article?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Yup, it's in there... They're historic because they have total nimrods working In the Historical Preservation Department.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:37, Tom Cutts wrote:
That would be because, as everyone here can plainly see, the assumptions and ignorance are yours.

Are you trying to claim that why chain link fences are "historic" in this neighborhood is not in the article?

Yup, the justification is right there in the article

"As the historic preservation staff wrote in its recommendation: “While many feel that [chain-link] fences have negative connotations, this material has played an important role in the development of mid-century vernacular housing and their cultural landscape. . . . By eradicating this ‘simple fencing solution,’ the applicant would be removing an important contextual clue to the original occupants of this neighborhood.”

You might not agree with it. But their reasons for wishing to maintain chain link fences in this particular area are quite plainly laid out. Right or wrong they are trying to maintain and preserve the historic nature of this area and modern fencing styles and material detract form the look and feel they are trying to maintain.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Yup, it's in there... They're historic because they have total nimrods working In the Historical Preservation Department.

:thumbsup:

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Why indeed Destiny, but well said. Again.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:31, gdw wrote:
What did any of that have to do with "historical" chain link fences?

It was completely to do with the chain link fence you've erected round your thinking.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
A fence is a fence, chainlink or wood or iron... doesn't really matter.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:

They have mighty hunters before the Lord working for the government now?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
(Lower-case "n" by design)

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 21:20, gdw wrote:
Really?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/when......ory.html

Why, just, why?

Because if a section is deemed "historic," then it's historic exactly as it is, not as we would like it to be.
So yeah, if the chain link fence was there when the historical preservation was placed, then the chain link fence is part of the historical preservation.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Yes GDW, a chain link fence can be historic. Sometimes a rock can be. Pretty much anything can be historic. If you don't understand that, then maybe you are not as smart as you seem to think.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that very few of the people on the other side of Glenn in this one have owned real property that has become heavily restricted at the whim of a historical preservation society/staff.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't really have a strong opinion on this specific event but I was reminded of something:
Before the Davenport Hotel was bought by the awesome rich dude who restored it there was an article in the paper saying that even though the Hotel was listed as a historic site it could still be torn down because these things aren't legally enforceable.
I don't know if that article was right or not. Anyone know or want to look it up?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 00:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that very few of the people on the other side of Glenn in this one have owned real property that has become heavily restricted at the whim of a historical preservation society/staff.

I have seen the silliness of 'historical preservation' first hand. At home in Cairns a piece of prime real estate cannot be sold or used at the moment because the rotten derelict shell of the first hospital, actually just a large crumbling white ant ridden house, is regarded as significant heritage wise. It cannot be repaired - it's too far gone - and there seems to be some impasse where it can't be demolished. The current owner has put plastic over the whole thing, built a fence around it (chain link, I suspect) and put up signs warning noone should trespass, squat in, play with matches, or vandalise his valuable heritage property while he's away in England for 3 years.

So far it appears the local squattors and arsonists have been too dim to get his hint.

When I post to disagree with GDW, I don't see either my post or the thread in isolation, because every post he makes appears to be a contribution toward his broader agenda.

I am the first to agree with GDW that our system is not perfect, and as one apparently unable to see shades of grey, he likes to use that admission against me. Our laws and systems are not always just or sensible. I have suffered myself under what I thought to be unjust laws, and like most people, have usually seen the laws that affected me as more important than the ones that affect other people.

However while GDW seems to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I believe our democracies have evolved to the best system of government yet known to mankind. I do not believe his idea of a corporate anarchist society is feasible in any way, shape or form. We all yearn for greater freedom and it appears the greater our freedom, the more we desire. Just a couple of decades ago, gays in the Western democracies hoped that one day they would not be subject to prosecution for consensual adult sexual activity in private - now they want to make it compulsory (joke) - now they want to get married to each other.

Whatever the wrongs of our system of government now and historically, it has continually improved to the point most of us now have greater wealth and freedom than people could have imagined even two generations ago. Sadly many of us seem to take it for granted and (now I'll sound like a conservative) the degree of self entitlement is astonishing.

I am all for improving our system of government, righting it's wrongs, making sensible it's excesses etc but I won't any time soon be seriously considering a system which the proponent has never seriously explained, beyond constantly pointing out the usually trivial shortcomings of what we have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chainlink fences are historic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL