The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can someone please explain this to me? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 22:09, tommy wrote:
Well I guess they want to check if they are stolen and so on. Why wouldn't you have plates on a car in a driveway?

that's not a big deal, he just needs someone to be mad at..
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:27, gdw wrote:
As for the presumption of innocence, if the purpose IS to check if it's stolen, then it is a code which requires you to prove your innocence.

No it isn't. You don't have to prove anything. You don't even have to be there when the plates are run.
Let me put it in single-syllable words: "Cop run plate from street. Car in plain view, dig?"
And presumption of innocence applies to courts, not running a plate in your driveway. With a simple license plate check you don't have to waste your time and money going to court.

I doubt that'll get through, but it's as simple as I can make it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:30, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
As for the presumption of innocence, if the purpose IS to check if it's stolen, then it is a code which requires you to prove your innocence.

There are many codes that require one to prove one's innocence. Your comment about "so much for [the] presumption of innocence" makes it sound as if one has the right to a presumption of innocence under all circumstances. I'm not sure where you may have gotten this idea, but you should disabuse yourself of it; it's not true.

I'm well aware. I just like to point out how fast and loose they like to play with their own rules.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 13:08, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:30, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

There are many codes that require one to prove one's innocence. Your comment about "so much for [the] presumption of innocence" makes it sound as if one has the right to a presumption of innocence under all circumstances. I'm not sure where you may have gotten this idea, but you should disabuse yourself of it; it's not true.

I'm well aware. I just like to point out how fast and loose they like to play with their own rules.

It's not a matter of playing fast and loose with their own rules. The presumption of innocence applies in specific cases (as critter pointed out, in criminal trials).

Furthermore, your example has nothing to do with the presumption of innocence or of guilt: the situation is the determination whether a vehicle has been stolen, not whether any particular individual perpetrated the crime. The object of the police action is the vehicle, not a person.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can someone please explain this to me? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL