The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » True Story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
I have a story that illustrates in a small way the importance of image/attire.

I performed my first magic show at my daughter's 4th birthday party. The impetus for this was my wife asking me to dress up as a clown and maybe doing a few magic tricks. I agreed to dress up as a clown, but then wanted to do a separate magic show, which I did for 30 minutes or so.

For my show, I changed out of my clown outfit, but I had to keep on a few pieces -- the nose because it was glued on and the wig because my hair was a mess after wearing it for so long.

The show was a big success and the kids loved it. Later that evening, one of the moms prompted her son to tell his dad about the magician he saw. Even though he loved the show, the son responded by saying "mom, that was no magician ... that was just a clown doing tricks!"

No offense to the clown magicians on this board, but that stung because I was really hoping that the kids would think of me as a magician after doing the show.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
No offense taken. It is important to distinquish between being a magician and being a clown who does a few tricks.

My clown show is very different than my magic show. My clown show has some magic, but mostly traditional clown bits and skits. My magic show is a comedy magic show, but I am definitely a magician.

I wear my full clown gear for one and my tux or suit for the other.

Image is very important! Smile as opposed to Smile makes a difference!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
You did a show for four year olds?!?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have performed as a clown AND a magician and I have found that children DO NOT respect clowns in any way. They love them and they love being entertained by them but they do not, at the end of the day, give them any credit.

As a magician on the other hand I have children asking for my autograph, I have kids wide eyed when I arrive and I can EASILY control almost any group of children.

(also, I perform often for four years old. A good magic show should have maybe 6-9 effects in it and a WHOLE lot of business that ALL agges love!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wrappers talk very loud and clear. They tell us what to expect inside. And that is what we measure against for being satisfied or dissatisfied. Part of my youth was spent in the rodeo arena. One hot summer night a bull left a bloody gash on my lower leg. Since the beast had also put me over the fence, I was laying on a bleacher while my partner was trying to stop the bleeding. Meanwhile, a child spectator with his mom came by and stopped to look. The child's statement was "Look Mom, that's blood. He's real." I was in a clown costume. It taught me a lot.

We also do not expect to find a clown doing serious magic. If you do both, and why not, separate the acts and costumes. It will make both acts better. Most of the people who know me as Sander the dove magician, have no idea who the country comic Bubba Whodini is. They have never played the same show. They are both magicians. One is very traditional and the other very rustically untraditional. One saws a pretty girl in half. The other does cut and restored watermelon. But they don't belong on stage together. So, Bubba never calls on Sander's clients. Bubba's clients are safe from Sander too. They are for different audiences.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » True Story (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL