The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dealbreakers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's the hypothetical:

You and person X have diametrically opposed political beliefs. Beliefs that not only shape your respective world views, but your respective actions as well. Which of the following relationships could you not have with Person X:

1) Friend
2) Girlfriend/Boyfriend
3) Spouse
4) Co-worker
5) Boss of Person X
6) Employee under the direct supervision of Person X
7) Blind Date

Answer as many or as few as you wish. I just thought it was interesting given some of the recent back and forth here.

For me, 3 and 6 would be out. There'd have to be a lot of other good things happening for 2. The rest I'm fine with.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I would kind of depend on how adamant I was about my beliefs and how adamant they were about theirs. And how much those beliefs drive their everyday lives. Also, how vocal they are about them, and how often. The more extreme a person is, the harder it is to deal with them on a continuining basis.

Basically, if they are cool I could probably deal with a person with diametrically opposed political viewpoints in any of those situations. If they are just knee-jerk extremists who never shut up about their political beliefs, they are almost impossible to be around. It's more about how people act than what they believe.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, not exactly the diametric, but my wife considers her self essentially a "liberal," also, not exactly political, but she is also catholic.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
2 and 3 only. The rest are not a problemo.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glenn-

I'm a liberal and also a Catholic. Most Catholics I know are liberal so I don't understand why you're balancing your wife's liberalism against her Catholicism.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic

4,5,6 are all necessities and uncontrollable save for leaving your position.

The rest all are titles that assume you are already in a position to know and appreciate enough of the other person to have established a caring relationship in which case you'd be poorly representing your half of said relationship by not respecting the other persons opinion.

The blind date is a clean slate - were opposing politics to come up it'd be difficult to move forward into any of the other roles.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
As long as I don't talk politics with them, I could have any of those relationships. Honestly, I'm not really sur just how liberal or conservative my wife is. (although she knows I am pretty darn conservative!)

Mike
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
2 and 3 also. My wife was mildly religious when we first met. But over the years I think I've managed to pretty much deconvert her by showing her all the advantages of secular humanism.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 18:53, mastermindreader wrote:
Glenn-

I'm a liberal and also a Catholic. Most Catholics I know are liberal so I don't understand why you're balancing your wife's liberalism against her Catholicism.

I don't understand why that is what you thought I was doing.

The thread is about those who have opposing views to your own. I was pointing out how different my wife's and my own views can be, as I am an atheist, and a libertarian/voluntarist/liberty minded/whatever you want to call me.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I would say 2 and 3. I have one very close friend in particular and we're both well aware that we have very different political views, so we just don't discuss politics. We're both Christian though she's far more conservative than I am, so while we can discuss religion, we won't get super deep into it. We know the boundaries and have a fantastic friendship Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
James Carville and Mary Matalin seem to have worked it out.
Personally, I'd go bonkers if I was in a room with either one of them.

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/09......age.html

Ain't love grand?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 21:23, gdw wrote:
The thread is about those who have opposing views to your own. I was pointing out how different my wife's and my own views can be, as I am an atheist, and a libertarian/voluntarist/liberty minded/whatever you want to call me.

I wouldn't call you an atheist.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 22:05, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 21:23, gdw wrote:

I wouldn't call you an atheist.

Why's that?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, I don't know what you think of a god, but it's clear that you believe in a devil and are set in a specific dogma. Seems a religion to me.
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I can understand the "dogma," of course I would argue principled, but what devil?
Also, atheist doesn't mean one can't have a "religion." There are many atheist Buddhists, as well as raelians.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
You don't know who (what) your devil is? I don't think this is going anywhere.
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I am politically liberal and non religious, yet for 6 months have been travelling and working with someone active in conservative politics and a practicing Catholic. We spend 14 - 16 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week together and get on very well. We only occasionally decide to abandon a conversation before it becomes too heated.

It's much more interesting than being around people who agree with you all the time and I have rediscovered that there is not always only one truth.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
I've had several good conversations with a Catholic priest who I would consider a friend. Father Patrick (I think it was O'Brien or McReynolds but I ain't sure)
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Forgive me going off topic but a Catholic priest here who the heirachy threw out of his church, St Mary's, for being too liberal, now leads a congregation known as St Mary's in Exile. I saw in an interview last week he now believes God doesn't exist, is not sure Jesus ever lived, and doubts the power of prayer. While I don't disagree with him on any of that, I wonder that he still calls himself Catholic. I would have thought a belief in God was necessary.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 23:53, Destiny wrote:
I am politically liberal and non religious, yet for 6 months have been travelling and working with someone active in conservative politics and a practicing Catholic. We spend 14 - 16 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week together and get on very well. We only occasionally decide to abandon a conversation before it becomes too heated.

It's much more interesting than being around people who agree with you all the time and I have rediscovered that there is not always only one truth.

Have you read Graham Greene's Monseigneur Quixote? Sounds like you are living it.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dealbreakers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL