The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Greatest Rock or Metal Ballad(s) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
First one that came to my mind was "Beth" by Kiss.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Off the top of my head, I'm leaning toward "Still Loving You," by The Scorpions.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm partial to Michelle and I Will by The Beatles.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
How 'bout Purple Rain?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
From the Fab Four, I'd nominate "And I Love Her."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 22:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
From the Fab Four, I'd nominate "And I Love Her."

Another good choice.

I prefer "Michelle" and "I Will" primarily because they're in second person, not third person; they seem more . . . well . . . personal that way.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was thinking of 'power ballads' but I couldn't think of the word at the time. My bad Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
But everyone knows "Yellow Submarine" was the Beatles' greatest ballad. Oh, how Ringo loved his submarine.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Pantera: Cemetery Gates

But actually, I have a new #1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M687f5m6QZw&feature=fvsr

Great White's "Rock Me" would be up there, too.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

When did we start calling these songs "ballads". For most of the past 600-700 years ballads were story-songs. How the heck did this happen?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Ballad has entered the lexicon to mean "a slow song done by a band that is generally known for rock music". It's not correct, but that's what it has come to mean.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:17, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
When did we start calling these songs "ballads". For most of the past 600-700 years ballads were story-songs. How the heck did this happen?

We could ask Stone...he's the one with the OED.

Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
You See Me Crying - Aerosmith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWVgukqi78

Nazareth's version of Love Hurts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gue2Yj8VPSc

Dream On - Aerosmith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlXcJDtDwM
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:26, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:17, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

We could ask Stone...he's the one with the OED.

Right. Well, the entry is very long, and I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to post for copyright reasons. But relevant should be this:

Quote:
Etymology: < Middle French balade song for dancing (late 13th cent. in Old French; mid 13th cent. in Old French as barade), lyric poem consisting of three strophes, each ending with the same refrain (c1341: see ballade n.), Middle French, French ballade (16th cent.; 1836 in sense ‘piece of instrumental music’ in the title of a composition for piano by Chopin: see ballade n.) < Old Occitan balada dance, song for dancing, sung poem (early 13th cent.; late 12th cent. as ballada; 1288 as balade; Occitan balada) < balar to dance (see bale v.1) + -ada-ade suffix. Attested earlier in the specialized senses which are now distinguished in form as ballade n. Compare Old French balete, balaide, ballaite song for dancing (c1320), Catalan ballada dance, dancing (c1400), Portuguese bailada dancing, dance, lyric poetry or song of the troubadours (13th cent.), cognate with Old Occitan balada. Compare also post-classical Latin ballada form of dance music (1326 in a British source), Catalan balada (medieval) lyric poem or song (13th cent.), popular narrative poem or song on a historical or legendary subject (1857), Spanish baladaProvençal poetic composition (c1430, now obsolete in this sense), popular narrative poem or song on a historical or legendary subject (1834), Portuguese balada epic musical composition, poem on a historical or legendary subject, lyric poem consisting of three strophes, each ending with the same refrain, etc. (1890), Italian ballata popular lyric poem or song (of a particular metre) for dancing (1294; 1309 as balata), all < Old Occitan. Compare earlier ballade n. and discussion at that entry.

And the very first entry (including all pre-1600 examples):

Quote:
a. A light, simple song of any kind; (now) spec. a sentimental or romantic composition, typically consisting of two or more verses sung to the same melody with only light musical accompaniment.Earliest in ballad book n. at Compounds 1.

In early use difficult to distinguish from ballade n. 1a and perhaps in some cases comprehending this within a wider class.
1458 in J. Raine Testamenta Eboracensia (1855) II. 213, j librum vocatum unum Balettboke.
1492 in Michelet Scot. Lang. 218 For the singyn of a ballat to the King.
c1500 Mayd Emlyn in Anc. Poet. Tracts (1842) 16 We do nought togyder, But prycked balades synge.
1521 in State Papers Henry VIII (1830) I. 10 Mr. Almoner, in hys sermone, broght in the balates off ‘Passe tyme with goodde cumpanye,’ and ‘I love unlovydde.’
1568 Bible (Bishops') (heading) The ballet of ballets of Solomon.
1589 G. Puttenham Arte Eng. Poesie i. xx. 35 Ballades of praise called Encomia.

This may be the single best perc of my new job. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Beatles, I'd have to go with Yesterday. I like the other mentioned choices, but I'd also have to say "Anna."
BTW I just came across the Meet the Beatles again recently and was listening to Paulie on "Till There was You." A no-prize to the first person who can say who wrote that song and for what venue.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Alice Cooper:Only women bleed.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The Animals - "The House of the Rising Sun"
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My vote: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 08:26, landmark wrote:
Beatles, I'd have to go with Yesterday. I like the other mentioned choices, but I'd also have to say "Anna."
BTW I just came across the Meet the Beatles again recently and was listening to Paulie on "Till There was You." A no-prize to the first person who can say who wrote that song and for what venue.

I just heard it in The Music Man a couple of months ago...

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-10 07:30, stoneunhinged wrote:
... popular narrative poem or song on a historical or legendary subject (1834),

If this is right, then the 700 year old medieval ballads I was referring to weren't called ballads until 1834, some time between Bishop Percy and F.J. Child. Looks like I've got some readin' to do.

Thanks Lobo and Jeff.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Greatest Rock or Metal Ballad(s) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL