The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Has anyone seen this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Looks kind of cool...I just got an email from them. I have never heard of the person before who made this, if he is reputable or anything, but it looks like a new twist on an Origami

http://vimeo.com/27542103
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Saman Zerin was a fixture on the Café several years ago. The first thing I remember was a thread comparing and contrasting one of his creations, The Intruder Box, with Origami. Since that time, I have seen several of his illusions on various video sites, and he seems to be a pretty accomplished performer.

Here's a "history" of his time on the Café:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7172055
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Where is he based...

Also, your link doesn't work for other users.

Although I do think this is similar to the Origami, it is also different and I wouldn't classify it as a knockoff...not sure really - its cool looking that's for sure.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I like it better than origami. However, I know the crutains are neccessary I don't like them at all, especially how they roll out when he picks up the main curtain. I think that it draws too much attention to them and they (in spectators' mind) don't play a part in the illusion. It almost looks like he wants to hide something.

PAtrick
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 16:11, Rada wrote:
Where is he based...

Also, your link doesn't work for other users.

Although I do think this is similar to the Origami, it is also different and I wouldn't classify it as a knockoff...not sure really - its cool looking that's for sure.

Michael,

Based on his name and the Magus before it, I would say that he is based in or around Persia. However, he just might be persian but performing somewhere else.

Patrick
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Still on the Origami subject...anyone has avideo of Greg Frewin's version?
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Seems like Saman Zerin is from Ukraine.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
The curtains are awful.
That is the first place where the spectator assumes the hiding place.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
The curtains might not be that bad, because it is supposed to be presented with the front facing the audience...the back flap is obviously to help camouflage any 'drop' of in the base.

Its a cool Idea, but I wonder if adding deceptive sides frames (similar to Origami) would be better...it would be something I would have to consider if I was to ever buy this, which I likely wouldn't - but hey, you never know.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yeah, I like the art direction of the base but that's about it. Jim came up with a great way to justify the movement detail with the mirror. This guy just drops a cloth. Hard to think that doesn't go unnoticed.

Also the black drop downs on the sides as well, hardly subtle.

I won't get into the credits, costumes, mask and everything else as it really doesn't matter.

As to whether it is a rip off or knock off of an Origami... I can only say that without Jim's Origami illusion, this prop would never have been made. You describe the effect to someone and it has most of the same beats in it.

I can't honestly say it is an "improvement" on Jim's idea. It's slightly different but again, you wouldn't want to put it in the same show as someone doing an Orgami so it doesn't pass the base test for originality.
Ray Pierce
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I prefere his Pannon Illusion, which looks a little bit more magical...

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTc0MzEzNjk2.html

Oliver.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Beware,

Look at the original poster picture and watch this video from the Hungarian Phenomenon show. Is not the same guy? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagVoryPQ9c&feature=related

Well this guy from Hungary as well as Saman Zerin alias Serdult Gyula and the masked guy (Lui). They are all friends.

Here is Lui's video with rip off props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjBTGX5LZw

Years ago Zerin told me that he asked Jim blessing for the intruder box illusion but Jim told him no. From that time Zerin hate Jim and try to ripp him off. You might remember couple years ago Zerin was booted from the Café. Now he is trying every way to contact magicians and sell his crap so he asked this guy to start this thread. Zerin also friend with Dominikmagic the rip off artist.

Best,

Las
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
If this magician wants to innovate or make improvements, first he would ask permission of the creator of Origami, because is a knock off!

However, in my opinion, some ideas have potential:

- The movement of the cube in tissue is a good point of misdirection and it is more organic(the audience can "see" and "felt" that she is there) than the original static cube (the audience "think" that she is there).

- Instead the behind tissue falling, it could be part of the structure of the spears as a solid portion that would be put like as the original mirror of the Origami without arousing suspicion.
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Hi Laszlo Csizmadi

I dind`t know the information that you gave us! . . .oh! Dominikmagic (the sucking talents and incorrigible swindler).

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 21:09, Laszlo Csizmadi wrote:
Beware,

Look at the original poster picture and watch this video from the Hungarian Phenomenon show. Is not the same guy? LOL

Well this guy from Hungary as well as Saman Zerin alias Serdult Gyula and the masked guy (Lui). They are all friends.

Years ago Zerin told me that he asked Jim blessing for the intruder box illusion but Jim told him no. From that time Zerin hate Jim and try to ripp him off. You might remember couple years ago Zerin was booted from the Café. Now he is trying every way to contact magicians and sell his crap so he asked this guy to start this thread. Zerin also friend with Dominikmagic the rip off artist.

Best,

Las

LOL, I can assure you I am not the same guy nor do I have any ties WHATSOEVER to this builder; Sorry Lazlo, you are trying way to hard to connect the dots on this one, when there are no dots to connect. This is the first I have ever heard of Saman Zarin. I got a random email from him asking me to check out his video. How or where he got my email from, I have zero clue... I thought I would share it hear because I thought it was a different take on the Origami...Oh, The guy in that video doesn't really look like me, sorry.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
The prop looks cool, but I think the effect sucks. I don't think that its nearly as good as the original Origami.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
L-A-M-E. I'll stick with the Wellington Origami.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
There is action in the illusion. Origami has your assistant being folded up. They see her get in the box and you make it smaller. This other one just has you raising a curtain.

The prop looks cool, but I agree about the flaps going down the sides.
-Matt
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
It really seems that Saman Zerin really likes the Origami effect, since nearly all effect he "created" and that you can find on different internet videos, have the basic idea of Jim Steinmeyer's Origami, a squared cube on a table with two or more objects being pushed through.

Anyway, I have to agree with Matthew, nothing beats the original Origami illusion wether it would in action or in meaning. The only thing I like are the designs of his tables, where the box is placed on, except for the cloth flaps of course.

Oliver.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 23:44, Rada wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 21:09, Laszlo Csizmadi wrote:
Beware,

Best,

Las

LOL, I can assure you I am not the same guy nor do I have any ties WHATSOEVER to this builder; Sorry Lazlo, you are trying way to hard to connect the dots on this one, when there are no dots to connect. This is the first I have ever heard of Saman Zarin. I got a random email from him asking me to check out his video. How or where he got my email from, I have zero clue... I thought I would share it hear because I thought it was a different take on the Origami...Oh, The guy in that video doesn't really look like me, sorry.

LMAO,
He must see the world a little more differently than the rest of us. That doesn't even look like you. Besides having hair, two eyes, a mouth, nose, two ears the similarities end there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Has anyone seen this? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL