The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » What is your simplest, most effective close up trick? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7129 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Brad, I know ya want simple and effective, so I'll do my best.

#1. Reality Twister is GREAT! It's now marketed as Lubor's Lens. If you tell the right story...woo!

#2. The Amazing Jumping Arrow. I carry it with me everywhere! I explain it was found in a pile of junk supposed to part of a crashed flying saucer...

#3. Sponge Balls. Brad, learn a good routine with those! Penguin has 'em! Not expensive.

#4. Cards. Stay away from "pick-a-card" stuff. Do something different. Packet tricks are great, the best is Color Monte. If ya go for trick decks, learn a switch. You will get challenged eventually, and it's always good to have an "out".

#5. Rope magic. Learn a good cut & restored. Then learn Professor's Nightmare.

And Bella is right. An ivisible deck is invaluable! And TT's! Miracles seem to happen with a TT!

Stay away from the hype. Once in awhile a good effect comes out. It's usually priced way out my range, so I cannot recommend anything new...

Myself, the AJA and the Reality Twister are my two most effective. Smile

Doug
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Powerball 60 never fails to get a favorable reaction!
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I go Scotch & Soda. Easy, fast reset, does not require a surface, can get accidentally wet (bar situation) and does not take up much room in your pocket. Only advice I would give is keep it seperate from other change. I have given at least 2 sets to salvation army santas by accident, which is about a $30 mistake.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
897 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
If simple yet impactful is the goal the Scotch & Soda suggestion is great.
Goochelvermaeck
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
6 Posts

Profile of Goochelvermaeck
For me;

- A good vanish and production of one coin (Joshua Jay teach a good vanish at his dvd 'Method in Magic - Live in The Uk').
- (sucker) Torn and Restored napkin.
- First to vanish a pencil behind your ear, after three taps with the pencil on the coin in your hand. Then vanish the coin with a 'strike vanish'.
- CMH (how original....!?)

You can entertain an audience for sure with this material!!
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
CMH and Touch
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
My sponge ball routine is by far my simplest, most effective close up trick. Some might disagree as to whether or not it is simple once they've seen it.
Are you watching closely?
edshern
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 15:35, Dougini wrote:
#1. Reality Twister is GREAT! It's now marketed as Lubor's Lens.
Doug

Both of these items are available for sale. Does anyone know how they differ? Or are they the same?

Reality Twister =http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Twister-Lubor-lens-Harris/dp/B008Z24YAM/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1368104629&sr=1-2&keywords=Lubor%27s+Lens

Lubor Lens = http://www.amazon.com/Lubors-Lens-Gimmic......27s+Lens
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
Greg Wilson's On the Spot has some really great, fully fleshed out promptu style effects.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1267 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
- TT (Osterlind's Sweet N Low - or anything you want .. best thing to have)
- Stealth Pen
- Bite Off Coin
- Double Back (Jon Allen)
- Balloon (Pressure)

Those are just what I carried today and I performed all over the place. I set Double back on top of the deck and open with it then perform a bunch of impromptu card stuff (if Im having a "cardy" day)
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
The Balducci Levitation
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vanishing salt shaker!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Alexander Pope said it very well:

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drink deep or not at all from the Pyrhean Spring.

There, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, while drinking largely sobers us again."

Your FIRST sentence in your OP, concerns me. At the risk of sounding a trifle harsh, you appear to be a little like the young man who asks a doctor to "teach me a little about brain surgery!" -or- "What instruments do you use to do an appendectomy?"

Your job or profession (take yer pick) is a highly technical one. How much respect would you have for an associate who only wishes to "dabble" a bit?

Please do not misunderstand me! I'm a retired professional magician--but, "professional" is not just about money! "Professional" is about ATTITUDE!!!

For me to recommend a particular EFFECT (not TRICK--"tricks", like music, only exist while they are being performed. might be compared to a doctor offering you an aspirin and a Band-Aid for cancer of the brain!

Ken Weber wrote "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT" a few years ago. It might help you gain a slightly different perspective. THERE AINT NO TRICKS IN IT! I've never met Mr. Weber, but, to use the old cliché: I WISH I HAD HAD THAT BOOK IN 1945, WHEN I WAS 13!

Mark Wilson's "COMPLETE COURSE IN MAGIC" is not really a complete course (the title, like the banner line on an old circus side show, is intended to get you "inside") but it does give a neophyte a very good start. (I don't remember for sure, but, I think it was ghost written by Walter Gibson (who probably wrote more books on magic than anyone!) The effects explained are good examples of my favorite acronym: KIS MIF. (Keep It Simple Make It Fun)

When you read it, you may begin to realize that magic is not inherently entertaining. The performer is more important than the prop! The performer, and his presentation are what make the performance of the trick ENTERTAINING!

I am sure that you didn't learn what you do for a living, by dabbling. (Look back to Pope's "A little knowledge" above!

A real AMATEUR MAGICIAN, L O V E S "MAGIC". (see definition of "amateur"--it is from the Latin: "I LOVE"). I have many amateur friends, and I have utmost respect for them -- not just for their performing ability, but also for their philosophy regarding "magic". --Believe me, THEY AINT DABBLERS!

I sincerely hope that you will invest some of your most precious "possession" (TIME) in LEARNING about what CAN be a wonderful hobby.

You OWE it to those friends who invest THEIR TIME in watching your performance!!! (In watching, they aren't paying you with cash, but with THEIR most precious possession!)

I'll "wrap this up" with a story that I've told many, many times. It may help you to understand!

A ship is heading out to sea. An old sailor, and a very young sailor are standing at the ship's rail. The young man remarks, There's a lot of water out there!" The old man replies, "What you see is just the TOP OF IT!"

Yours, 'til the curtain closes~

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebank!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
What Dick Oslund said!!!

Here's my suggestion:

Get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.........Then devote some SERIOUS time to mastering what you will see inside...and you will ALWAYS be ready to PERFORM AT A MOMENT"S NOTICE anywhere...at any time....

Making it entertaining, however.....well........that's a whole different story!
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Aquarius cap in bottle
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1696 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Sponge Balls Kills:)
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
http://rasmusmagic.ch
AngeloAces
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn New York
54 Posts

Profile of AngeloAces
Ring-thing by Garret Thomas. Simple, effective, and I could easily move into a routine that utilizes there ring if they want to see some more magic.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7027 Posts

Profile of bowers
Coins Across
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'd say for simplest and most effective it's S&S for me. It's too easy and people really are stunned.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Now that I have "Skycap", I have used the pen thru card/cap version a couple of times followed up by "Re-capped" after explaining that its all done with the magic pen!

Re-capped remains one of the funnest and simplest impromptu routines that I still frequently perform.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » What is your simplest, most effective close up trick? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL