The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yes, Facebook again: from the WSJ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
Why I deleted my Facebook profile some time ago (from the Wall Street Journal):
Quote:
...This fall, Twitter turned its popularity into dollars, inking lucrative deals to allow its users' tweets to be broadcast via search algorithms on Google and Bing.

Soon, Facebook followed suit with deals to distribute certain real-time data to Google and Bing. (Recall that despite being the fifth most popular Web site in the world, Facebook is barely profitable.) Facebook spokesman Barry Schnitt says no money changed hands in the deals but says there was "probably an exchange of value."

Just one catch: Facebook had just "exchanged" to Google and Microsoft something that didn't exist.

The vast majority of Facebook users restrict updates to their friends, and do not expect those updates to appear in public search results. (In fact, many people restrict their Facebook profile from appearing at all in search results).

So Facebook had little content to provide to Google's and Bing's real-time search results. When Google's real-time search launched earlier this month, its results were primarily filled with Twitter updates.

Coincidentally, Facebook presented its 350 million members with a new default privacy setting last week. For most people, the new suggested settings would open their Facebook updates and information to the entire world. Mr. Schnitt says the new privacy suggestions are an acknowledgement of "the way we think the world is going."

Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg led by example, opening up his previously closed profile, including goofy photos of himself curled up with a teddy bear.

Facebook also made public formerly private info such as profile pictures, gender, current city and the friends list. (Mr. Schnitt suggests that users are free to lie about their hometown or take down their profile picture to protect their privacy; in response to users' complaints, the friends list can now be restricted to be viewed only by friends).

Of course, many people will reject the default settings on Facebook and keep on chatting with only their Facebook friends. (Mr. Schnitt said more than 50% of its users had rejected the defaults at last tally).

But those who want a private experience on Facebook will have to work harder at it: if you inadvertently post a comment on a friend's profile page that has been opened to the public, your comment will be public too.

Just as Facebook turned friends into a commodity, it has likewise gathered our personal data – our updates, our baby photos, our endless chirping birthday notes— and readied it to be bundled and sold.

So I give up. Rather than fighting to keep my Facebook profile private, I plan to open it up to the public – removing the fiction of intimacy and friendship.

But I will also remove the vestiges of my private life from Facebook and make sure I never post anything that I wouldn't want my parents, employer, next-door neighbor or future employer to see. You'd be smart to do the same... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB12608463......pop_read
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Which is why I've tried to pretty much always only put things online that I wouldn't mind the world seeing, and being out there forever.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah I try these days not to make any posts that a potential employer or APA review board might misinterpret somewhere down the road.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
When I worked at NBC I would occasionally see my boss checking the profiles of various applicants. Honestly, it SHOCKS me what some people will post - even things I wouldn't want just my friends to see.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I bet there is a market there to exploit. Create a FB account just for presenting a positive image. Add some fake friends, community support, and sprinkle with some Photoshop pictures and serve at room temperature.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I think Landmark has taken the right approach - Facebook just gets worse and worse.

So much of it provides a faux life for those apparently without much of a real one.

I am constantly astonished at the BS I see 'friends' spinning other 'friends' who don't know them as well as I. The fake outrage at things I've never known to bother them before, the herd mentality in howling down the latest media villian, the incredible stupid rantings of people who know nothing about the subject they are ranting about but gather all their 'friends' in condemnation of a fake premise.

And worst of all people playing bloody Mafia Wars and Farmville etc - my favourite ever Facebook post was whoever first posted that if they recieved another Farmville request they'd be round to burn down the barn and kill all the livestock. Zuckerberg alone knows who posted it though because anything original you put on Facebook is quickly copied and pasted by a zillion morons who can't think of anything interesting to say themselves. In the future studying the minds of the copy and paste personality will be a lucrative career.

I'm glad I was aware from when I first used Facebook that people who see my shows would be looking at whatever I posted - and tailored my postings with that in mind. I have far too few friends to require Facebook to converse with them. I feel not far from copying, but not pasting, Landmark, and deleting my account.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4732 Posts

Profile of landmark
For those who say they protect themselves by only posting safe material, I say that's almost besides the point.

The point for me, is that Zuckerberg and Co. are just the lowest of the low in their business practices. The cynical, regular, intentional, churning of default settings is so incredibly insulting, and such an abuse of his customers, as to be almost beyond belief.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
608 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I've read Google+ is supposed to be better in this regard, but I haven't tried it yet.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 22:51, landmark wrote:
For those who say they protect themselves by only posting safe material, I say that's almost besides the point.

The point for me, is that Zuckerberg and Co. are just the lowest of the low in their business practices. The cynical, regular, intentional, churning of default settings is so incredibly insulting, and such an abuse of his customers, as to be almost beyond belief.

Yeah but you can "like" the new photos of your former plumber's cat.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yes, Facebook again: from the WSJ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL