The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Tony Cabral: The Usual Suspect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
It's my pleasure to let you in on a little secret that only a few have known about until now.

Tony Cabral is well known throughout the card underground; he's friends with and his work has been influenced by guys like Darwin Ortiz, Jack Carpenter, Michael Vincent, Steve Mayhew, Jason England and Andrew Wimhurst. He's also a reviewer for MUM magazine. Now, he's coming out with a DVD of his original work.

The DVD, "Tony Cabral: The Usual Suspect," focuses heavily on gambling and cheating. You can see some of his work at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBEfIgg8XC8. Fair warning: this stuff is not for beginners. You can't expect to spend five minutes on it, and be a card expert. But Tony clearly demonstrates how to do the work at every step of the way; Darwin Ortiz helps out as well, providing expert insight. And with some work on your part, you'll be able to master the 11 effects.

(Side note: I've been doing one of the effects on Tony's DVD for several years. I had the pleasure of sessioning with Allan Ackerman one night in Vegas and showed him the effect. He paused, and asked, "Do you mind if I take notes on this one?" He also asked me to do the effect for others at a TFD convention. Simply put, it's that powerful and memorable.)

The DVD is scheduled to ship in early September, but if you're at Magic LIVE in Vegas, you can pre-order it directly from Jeff Eline, who'll be there.

Tony is a friend, and his work is superb. I think after you see "Tony Cabral: The Usual Suspect," you'll agree. Besides, the author needs the money.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I will have to get this when I am able too. Tony is very good. He along with Lance, Jack,as well as a few others make me want to cut their fingers off when I see them do thing on the Pebble. Get the DVD you won't be sorry.

Steve are you going to Magic Live?

Randy
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Nope...although Jeff will be there, as mentioned above. I travel extensively for work, so my wife basically holds me to one magic weekend a year. I've just turned down an invite to the Buffalo 52 (cringe), and have to decide between next year's 4F and TSD/Pebble confab. This is what I'm referring to as a "gonzo whopper of a dilemma."
Cheers,
Steve

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1629 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Ran into Tony Cabral at the 52 in Buffalo about five years ago. He fooled the ap-cray out of me there. At Magic-Con his stock had risen tremendously because of his world-class artwork depicting Magic's finest. He still deigned to hang with an old acquaintance though.

Tony is easily one of card magic's true masters of gambling-themed card magic. If he's tipping the original work that's been acclaimed by Ortiz, Wimhurst and Behr, you really need to get this DVD.

I don't have the skill level to do this kind of magic. I'm getting the DVDs because Tony is one funny and charming performer. Having the DVD will allow me to finally make Tony repeat some of his fabulous work so I can buy a clue on how he does this stuff!

KG
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1629 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Ran into Tony Cabral at the 52 in Buffalo about five years ago. He fooled the ap-cray out of me there. At Magic-Con his stock had risen tremendously because of his world-class artwork depicting Magic's finest. He still deigned to hang with an old acquaintance though.

Tony is easily one of card magic's true masters of gambling-themed card magic. If he's tipping the original work that's been acclaimed by Ortiz, Wimhurst and Behr, you really need to get this DVD.

I don't have the skill level to do this kind of magic. I'm getting the DVDs because Tony is one funny and charming performer. Having the DVD will allow me to finally make Tony repeat some of his fabulous work so I can buy a clue on how he does this stuff!

KG
jeline
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore
150 Posts

Profile of jeline
The DVD has landed! Tony Cabral's Usual Suspect with special guest Darwin Ortiz is now available. The Magic Warehouse has it right now and other shops will have it next week.
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
This is an outstanding DVD by Tony Cabral.

Excellent effects and first class teaching

Highly recommended.

Michael Vincent

Review to follow
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
jeline
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore
150 Posts

Profile of jeline
Nice review last night on the Magic Sessions Product Show. Check it out!
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Very nice collection of effects. Didn't know what to expect when I first started viewing this but quickly started warming up to the material which is constructed very well. The sub-title of this DVD should be "What you can do once you have learned how to second deal." Several of the effects demand this as a skill set but are very strong as a result.

I really liked Dealers Choice and Sting-Too. Tony and Darwin tip a detail that have moved the tabled faro into the realm of being doable for me. The fact that this detail is in Erdnase was a bit embarassing to me. (As a result of that I'm paying more attention to the Erdnase.)

I wouldn't recommend this DVD to a newbie but if you have a handle on false shuffles, riffle stacking, second deals and table faros then this would be perfect.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Ronnie:
Your comments are on target and appreciated. Tony's work tends toward the advanced end of the spectrum, but is not impossible (far from it) for people with moderate skill sets, like me.

He's good, and his work is superb.
Cheers,
Steve

asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Mr. Michael Vincent did write the review but I have no right to post it here.
people search his(MV) blog can find his review easily.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Tony Cabral: The Usual Suspect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL