The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book of Destiny preview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
I ordered The Book of Destiny in the leather edition. It's supposed to be available Oct. 10. Larry Barnowsky just posted a pdf of the table of contents on his webite: http://barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

The table of contents lists effects with cards, coins, balls, rings, and apparatus.

I asked him if he could send me any sample chapter to review before publication. He said he couldn't do that but he did send me instead the performance of A Curious Type of Arithmetic. This is on the companion DVD. The explanation is also on the DVD which he didn't send me. This is a delightful balls in the hat routine with rhyming patter which is beautifully performed with many surprises along the way.

Anyway, can't wait to get the book and DVD in my hands.

BJ
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Larry, how many tricks require special items like few tricks on the previous book? I am not referring to sponge balls or a double backer but really boxes or brass props that are unique for the trick
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Hi Pabloinus,

All the card effects use regular cards or in some cases gaffs that you already have or can easily obtain.

In the coin section, sleights and gaffs are used together. For Penny-wise, I show you how to make the unique gaff yourself. For those who don't want to make it, I will soon offer it already made at a nominal price.

For Coins From Shanghai, there are gaffs that you may already have or can buy from a magic shop.

No unique props needed in the balls and ring sections. i.e. cups, linking rings, sponges etc.

In the apparatus section, one of the items, The Treasury Vault, is a fairly complex woodworking project. I give all the details and dimensions for anyone to make their own. Most people will enjoy learning the mechanics of this unique magic box.

The Psychology Experiment is a small close-up piece of apparatus which requires some wood working skills. Again the mechanism behind this will delight most readers.

The other three items in the apparatus sections can me prepared or constructed easily from materials you have at home or found in a store like Staples.

There are 44 chapters, 368 pages, with 762 sharp b/w photos. The more complex routines and sleights are performed and taught on the two hour companion DVD. There are no impossible moves to learn. All these routines are from my performing repertoire.

To update, the book and DVD are complete. The DVD master has been sent for replication and the book is now in the hands of the printing company.

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I just posted on You Tube the performance clip of "A Curious Type of Arithmetic" mentioned by BJ. There are also some short random clips from the Companion DVD to The Book of Destiny as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LLSP4Km7c

Larry
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Larry, for sure I will get your book, is any advantage to pre-order?
Pablo
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Those who pre-order the book/DVD will get TWO BONUS items.

I have a limited number of old dollar size Chinese coins left. These are milled with no hole and similar to the bonus ones I provided with Kingdom of the Red and 21st Century Coin Mechanics. They are from the early 20th Century when Britain controlled parts of China. These coins are also ferrous so they will be attracted by a magnet. Most of the coins have a dragon on the back. One of these coins will be included with every pre-order. When I run out of the ferrous coins, I'll supply the more common non-ferrous coins. In addition, there will be another small prop used in one of the effects given away as well.

The pre-orders of course will be the first shipped.

Larry
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Great, I will pre-order then

Pablo
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks Pablo.

UPDATE:
Looks like we are a little ahead of schedule. The DVDs have been replicated and I will be receiving them next week. I received the digital proofs (galleys) and have approved them so we're in the queue for printing. Still shooting for Oct 10 or sooner to ship out the first books and DVDs.

Larry
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I can't wait to get this also, I have Larry's previous books and they are all great reads with some wonderful magic in them. His newest offering here, Book of Destiny looks very interesting with all types of magical effects. I'm mostly a coin guy but have the deepest respect for magicians like Larry that can do it all and do it all well in creative fashion. Many of the vignettes are quite capturing of your attention. Larry weaves the magic well with a song of poetry & rhyme and amazement happens with every beat. Smile He is a tremendous contributor to the art and well versed in its history and variety, full of showmanship and mystique. When this guy works on a book project he does real work and gives you loads of good, well thought out magic & amazement with cards, rings, coins, balls and rhyme. Great writing with tons of beautiful photography...Just real good stuff and I can't wait to curl up in bed with it. Smile It looks like it's coming with a DVD as well so it's quite a package the Good Doctor brings you yet again.

If it's anything like his other offerings, I suggest you make room on your magic bookshelf for it right now. I certainly will. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Dr. Larry Barnowsky is a very old friend of mine. He is truly a lover of magic and has developed a unique style over many many years. The use of rhyme is not everyone's cup of tea. I have seen a number of magicians try this and been most unimpressed. In every case, the performer seemed to take themselves and their patter far too seriously, as though they were performing in a Shakespearean play. I think that detracted from the magic. My opinion.

In contrast, I find Larry's work engaging, natural, and fun. Larry sets an example for how to present rhyming story magic that is understated enough to support the magic, yet compelling and interesting to watch. I would recommend any of his books to someone who is pursuing this particular genre, or who benefits from exploring diverse approaches. His books are always beautifully produced, as befits their contents.
Michael Kamen
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks Marion and Michael for those kind words.

Just so everyone knows, of the 44 chapters in The Book of Destiny, there are 10 that have scripts or patter in verse. The other chapters have scripts and patter with the more traditional conversational style. In either case, my scripts are what I use; but they can be used word for word, changed to fit your style and venue, or replaced completely by your own words and ideas.

In my prior book, Kingdom of The Red, 2 of the 28 chapters had scripts written in verse.

On the DVD, you'll get a chance to see and hear how many of the scripts sound and whether they will be appropriate in your act.

Larry Smile
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I don't use rhyme except for the ring and rope routine I learned in Kingdom of the Red. Wedding Ring Redux is a perfect routine IMO. It tells a story in rhyme and acted out through the magic.

I'm looking forward to reading The Book of Destiny. I ordered the leather edition. That Curious Arithmetic hat and ball effect is something I can see performing at my kid shows. If the quality of the book is anything like Kingdom of the Red, it's going to be a wonderful book.

David
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

UPDATE:

For all of those you who have pre-ordered the book, thank you again for your support.

At this time, the pages of the book have been printed and today will be bound in cloth for the regular edition and leather for the limited edition. We expect delivery of the pallet of books next week.

Larry Smile
The Book of Destiny
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

UPDATE:

I have received today the complete shipment of books. I will begin shipping the pre-orders beginning tomorrow with most going out Monday Oct 10.
Keep an eye out for my ads in MAGIC and Genii as well as a banner that will soon run on the Magic Café.

Larry Smile
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I just ordered Larry's Book of Destiny.
EVERYTHING Larry puts out is top notch.
I purchased Kingdom of the Red when it was first released and purchased all of the gaffs and apparatus Larry had to go along with it at the same time. It is by far one of the top magic purchases I have every made.
Wonderful, wonderful material.
Can't wait for my new book to arrive.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Hello Larry,

Is the Janus Prediction in your book related to the Ray Grismer effect that was written up in the Spectacle book?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hi motown,

Janus Prediction is different from the Ray Grismer effect. His effect is done with coins. Mine is done with playing cards only. The effect is probably the easiest one in my book. The title of the effect does refer to Janus the Roman god of entrances and exits that could see the future and the past. I give the effect 1 diamond out of 3 diamonds which is how I rate the effects in my book according to difficulty.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book of Destiny preview (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL