The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anyone using an MP3 player? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Hi,

I've been using a Sony walkman for music in my magic shows, but would like to have remote access to music without any lag time. I understand that MP3s are digital and supposedly have no lag time. Plus you can store a ton of songs on it. Does anyone have suggestions? I know the Showtech is available, but too spendy for me.

Thanks
Cabrera
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
743 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I have noticed a lot of people saying here that the ShowTech is too expensive. It is very pricey. If you only want something to handle your music why not look at the MiniTech. It does a great job of controlling your music and costs half of what the ShowTech does.

As with all of these things it is not the player that is so important. It is the remote. An infrared remote just does not cut it compared to the functionality you get from a R/F remote.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1132 Posts

Profile of Eldon
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......11&7

Check this out. It works great!
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
148 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
For about $50 US I found an inexpensive portable CD player that plays MP3s from a CDR. It is not good for "mixing" because there is a short delay between tracks as it scans the next file. However, for individual tracks, it works great.

When I am doing a show where I can use my sound tech, I use a laptop. Winamp, XMMS and others have a built in cross-fade for switching between songs. I've been able to do some really nice stuff with this by preparing MP3 lists ahead of time and having the tech move to the next track on queue. I can go into this in more detail if you're interested.
"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our reality."

- William Shakespeare
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Joe Leskovar designs, manufactures, and sells a system which is similar to the MiniTech, called the StageCue, and it sells for $599 US dollars. It's also expandable to include power outlets and a large LED display.

http://www.leskini.com/stagecue.html
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Mp3's are great because of compression technology. If I were to suggest a format for performance though, I would stick with .wav or CD format. There was a great thread about using Winamp with a RF transmitter for really cheap...maybe someone can re-thread the needle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anyone using an MP3 player? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL