The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My first show :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Excellent! I’m very glad it went well for you. You’ll never forget your first!

Now, don’t wait a long time before you jump on another; you learn something with every performance.

Congratulations!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
Post here the video from the show
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Congratulations.

You've taught me an expression I'm going to use frequently: as regular and reliable as a slutty girls period.

Are you willing to write just another fine report on your second gig?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Congrads man,im glad it went well for ya!

Kieran
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Seems doing your first show has been a great learning experience. I hope to perform soon and as a keen amateur I am trying to get out of consumer mindset. I invest time and money into clever method (such as which hand), when my first thought should be. What am I trying to convey to the audience, does it have a strong plot. Is there a clear and natural climax? Only then should I worry about the mechanics. Then I realise I am far from ready: -)
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I feel sick...
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 23:04, steven-gibson wrote:
Congratulations Thomas! I posted the following in Spooky, maybe it will be of some benefit here as well :

I believe I have something to offer here. Jon asked how do you get prepared for that first show, and that is an excellent question. After all, a seance, bizarre presentation is not just a parade of tricks presented one after another. At least a good one is not. So practicing effects is necessary, not really enough. As many have mentioned, it is a good idea to COMPLETELY script your show. I couldn't agree more. Here is what I do:
1) Write an introduction and an outline of effects that will be used.
2} Flesh that out to include every word you plan on saying in your presentation. As a point of reference, every typed page should take about 2 minutes to perform (That works for me as a rule of thumb). IE, for a 1 hour show, my script is usually 30 pages (well spaced). Do this on the computer, so you can make changes without starting over.
3) Next, record yourself performing. I have a great mic hooked to my computer. I use a Blue Yeti ($100ish) and the program is Audacity (free download). Play your background music and have all your props handy. Read the entire performance and concentrate on your vocal performance.
4) Burn to CD and play it in your car as you drive around. Also keep a small digital voice recorder in your car. You will hear things that you don't like in your performance. Make a quick note on the recorder.
5) Take you recorded notes and make changes to your script to improve all the weak spots.
6) Do the recording again and make a new CD. I will do this up to 10 times before I get a perfect script. And guess what, by the time you have done all this, you have that script down COLD!
7) Assuming you can perform all your effects, it is time to move on to video. Record yourself on video with full costume, lighting, effects, etc. Have a friend be your spec for every routine.
8) Watch the video and see what is weak and fix it.
9) You are ready to invite a group of friend for a free show. If the response is strong, you have a show! If not, work on it and keep trying! This is a good deal of work, but if you really care about your art, the rewards are far greater than just money!

Or you could just go out and do shows, like us pros do.
By the way, well done Thomas.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Thanks for all the great comments guys, it really means a lot to me! Smile

Sadly I cannot be sure when my next gig will be, it could be weeks, months or years for all I know! Which is a scary thought! However on the same day I performed for the first day I met an old friend, a very close old friend. He is my age, but he comes from the single richest family in the north east of England; he did say that party entertainment at the family mansion was not out of the question - and he seemed impressed with the effects I showed him Smile

And sorry Ken Dyne, if it makes you feel any better I usually don't cover my WHOLE body in it, just the bit which needs it when the guys are around. Anyways, because I am more or less dead inside emotionally it would be nice if people could suggest ways in which I link my show together. I'm really no good at that. :/

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Do you like films? comedy? tv shows? what your favourites...see how they begin and finish, then watch even more closely as to how they link up those two points throughout the middle...

yes its hard, but worthwhile...

watch the differences between the over-arching storyline, and then all the segues and moments between start and finish that add drama, pathos, fun, and whatever else...

simple premise:
two people fall in love - beginning
two people overcome insurmountable odds to be together and are happy - ending

what they overcome/go through in the meanwhile?
a challenge
a way of falling deeper in love
a misunderstanding that threatens that love
overcoming that misunderstanding
temptation?
threat?
the big finale

go watch some films thomas...watch some stand up comedy...(someone really good, richard pryor, billy connolly - someone with a bit of heart about them)...listen and learn...

and scripting magic by peter mcCabe as I said...

then its about testing it out, getting yourself filmed, or have people there you trust to watch you and feedback...build, go from there...

that's my advice at least...
I've asked to be banned
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Congrats Tom and as was mentioned earlier, enjoy the rush. At this point for the most part, it's about word of mouth so if you're impressing them, shows will hopefully follow. One thing that has really helped me as far as scripting goes are books on how to give speeches. There are some great books out there with some great little secrets of how to listen to your audience and how to hook them with personal stories and how to even go about writing different approaches on those stories. As per usual though, listen to Ian as his advice I always find to be golden and if you get the chance, in the future I would suggest getting his book AEIOU as it will really add to some of the effects that you may be performing. It's easy to learn and allows you to touch on a personal level when doing certain reveals such as a name or what not.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Congrats on your success, keep it going.

I agree with Darren, AEIOU is a slick little thang to have in the back of your mind...use it anytime you want as a stand-alone OR as a fill during other effects.

I'll have to say, you sure seem to be performing advanced effects and methods...you seem to learn at light-speed while most of us plod along taking years to advance....

Keep us posted!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
How many phone numbers (from the ladies) did you get? Don't tell here! That is the true measure of your success.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Thomas,

Congratulations. Enjoy the success and then back to work on the problems you've identified.

Regards, Steve
Bastien
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Bastien
May we all meet untimely ends as a result of drowning in boobfat. Although, in my case, that prophecy may turn out to be a self-fulfilling one.

Well done sir!
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 01:09, Decomposed wrote:
Good one Eric, hey Thomas. Did you really hypnotize the girl or was a psuedo stunt? Just curious.

Decomposing after Midnight

It was pretty much a psuedo stunt to be honest, but it worked well. I just claimed she was in a light state, which allowed her to bend the coin. Hence during the evening once I had bent a signed coin at my fingertips, and once she had bent one in her hands.
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My first show :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL