We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The definitive American rock & roll band is... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
The Carpenters.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 14:01, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:56, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I was gonna say Sly and the Family stone. But are they a rock and roll band? I don't think so.

But just to be a disturber, I'd like to note the race, gender and linguistic gradients of these discussions.

John

I think Jimi had a little of every race in his background. I say we add Heart, too; they rock. Please forward qualified nominations of other underrepresented groups to Magnus.

Just noting, not soliciting.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 14:05, Marlin1894 wrote:
The Carpenters.

Good one. That was pretty much America right there for a while.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
Good one. That was pretty much America right there for a while.

lol! And boy did they ROCK!!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
And did anyone mention America (I don't really believe that one, but thought I'd mention them).
And what about The Eagles? I think a case could be made for them.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Carpenters... songs of madness and obsession! LOL Anyone remember that line from Anger Management movie? I can never not think of it anytime The Carpenters are mentioned now. It's so wrong!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 14:13, landmark wrote:
And did anyone mention America (I don't really believe that one, but thought I'd mention them).
And what about The Eagles? I think a case could be made for them.

Eagles were probably a glaring omission from my original list.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
... Band we forgotten, hmm. I will take a stab at it and suggest Allman Brothers (don't remember them being mentioned)?
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Others would include the geographical bands:

Chicago
Kansas
Boston

My wife used to have an album entitled "The Best of Bread".

I thought it should be called, "Crust".
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Fleetwood Mac is British and American, so let the debate begin!
Mister Mystery
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Very hard to choose one. Lobo made a great list, and I do agree that Billy Joel should be up there (Billy himself considers himself a band, though he didn't adopt the moniker). Going just by the original list provided, I'll have to go with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

There are many, many great American bands and I don't have my iPod handy to give more suggestions.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No love at all for The Doors.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 02:00, LobowolfXXX wrote:
No love at all for The Doors.

It hits me when I'm in a certain mood, and that's all.

Back in my "philosophy of art" mode: perhaps the greatest artists manage somehow to miraculously push their mood onto YOU. Michel Foucault be darned.

I've told this story before, but only MagicSanta remembers our stories, so I'll tell it again. I went to see Springsteen at the Cotton Bowl during his Born in the USA tour. I wasn't a fan. It was just the big event in town--the one you have to go to whether you are interested or not. So I went, along with 80,000 other people.

And he convinced me that his music was mine, to.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
I'd have to go with Aerosmith as my pick.

Here's a few I don't think were mentioned that should be.
Ted Nugent
ZZ Top
Montrose
Soundgarden

Really more funk/soul, but since Sly was brought up I'd throw in Parliament and Funkadelic.

I'd add Steppenwolf in with the American/Canadian bands mentioned.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:54, critter wrote:
Since rock & roll was originally just blues (and sometimes country) played badly I'd like to add Muddy Waters Smile

And Robert Johnson.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No no no no no no.

Rock and roll was not blues. Blues is blues and remains blues. And Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are GODS, and it would be totally and completely and entirely and destructively disrespectful to them to put them in the wrong box. Blues are blues and remain blues. Long live the blues, and may those GODS of the blues be eternally remembered. God bless them. God bless the GODS.

But blues is NOT (NOT!) rock and roll.

Rock and roll is what we got when Elvis grabbed the blues and took it somewhere else. Word up, homes. That's what really happened, in real life.

The blues understands that there is no hope in this world, period. Rock and roll lies to you and says that you are gonna be saved.

That difference is clear to anyone with ears to hear.

Go watch a movie like "Black Snake Moan" and you'll see the blues on screen (if that's possible). As for a rock and roll movie, I'll have to think about it.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

I pretty much agree with you. I just figured since blues were brought up in a rock thread, the man himself should be mentioned. He isn't referred to as the Grandfather of Rock & Roll for nothing.

Regardless of what one thinks of the R&R Hall of Fame, Johnson was inducted as an Early Influence in their first induction ceremony in 1986 for good reason.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/robert-johnson/bio/
"Though he recorded only 29 songs in his brief career, including his first and most popular, “Terraplane Blues”, Johnson nonetheless altered the course of American music. In the words of biographer Stephen C. LaVere, “Robert Johnson is the most influential bluesman of all time and the person most responsible for the shape popular music has taken in the last five decades.” Such classics as “Cross Road Blues,” “Love In Vain” and “Sweet Home Chicago” are the bedrock upon which modern blues and rock and roll were built."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Next to Elvis, Robert Johnson may be the most important musician in the history of rock and roll. I agree.

But African American music took a lot of interesting turns, didn't it? If you were young, black, poor, and in the south, you could have played the blues...or you could also have played jazz, like Louis Armstrong did. Or you could have just gone to church and sung all night, like in the church that Elvis used to visit when he was a kid and craving music.

One of the greatest ironies of American life is that the "race thing" still plagues us and defines us at the same time. There is no "Americanness" that doesn't somehow include, somehow, both "white" and "black" America, and the remarkable tension between the two that still remains.

America is a really big place, and a really big idea, and simply defies any attempt to really describe it. And this is the point I've been trying to make for at least a week here at the Café: nothing describes America better than its music. No movies or books or philosophy or paintings or whatever can even come close to describing what America means. Rock and roll can't do it, either. But it comes closest, I think.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 05:20, stoneunhinged wrote:
Next to Elvis, Robert Johnson may be the most important musician in the history of rock and roll. I agree.

But African American music took a lot of interesting turns, didn't it? If you were young, black, poor, and in the south, you could have played the blues...or you could also have played jazz, like Louis Armstrong did. Or you could have just gone to church and sung all night, like in the church that Elvis used to visit when he was a kid and craving music.

One of the greatest ironies of American life is that the "race thing" still plagues us and defines us at the same time. There is no "Americanness" that doesn't somehow include, somehow, both "white" and "black" America, and the remarkable tension between the two that still remains.

America is a really big place, and a really big idea, and simply defies any attempt to really describe it. And this is the point I've been trying to make for at least a week here at the Café: nothing describes America better than its music. No movies or books or philosophy or paintings or whatever can even come close to describing what America means. Rock and roll can't do it, either. But it comes closest, I think.

:applause:
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 12:55, stoneunhinged wrote:
HA!

abc, you obviously didn't read my total diss of Bon Jovi over in the Beatles thread, or you would have said something.

Everyone else on your list is cool. But Bon Jovi? AAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Different list different discussion. They've sold millions and influenced many bands whether successful or rubbish. People pick up the guitar to learn a Bon Jovi song. Never said I liked them but this thread isn't about bands I like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The definitive American rock & roll band is... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL