The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can things ever change? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 09:32, tommy wrote:
Yes things can change. Just look at history and see how Hitler changed Germany and so on.

LOL Thanks Rush Limbaugh
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 09:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Things could be worse where you are.

Look at Somalia.

Seriously.

Well of course things could be worse. That doesn't take away from the problems my country has. There are plenty of other places that would be nice to help. I think it becomes much easier to do that when you don't have problems at home though.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Tommy, I didn't mean that to be so rude, I just find it funny that the only leaders we reference as game changers are the ones who commit genocide.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

I don't think there is anything wrong with what America stands for. I would not let anyone change it and I think Americans have a duty to keep it that way.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 23:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Change that is meaningful takes place local levels.

:applause:
All politics are local.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 11:48, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 23:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Change that is meaningful takes place local levels.

:applause:
All politics are local and people vote their wallets.
- Albert Camus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 09:32, tommy wrote:
Yes things can change. Just look at history and see how Hitler changed Germany and so on.

Hitler point!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 00:27, NicholasD wrote:
... and to repeal a healthcare bill we didn't need or want ...

Who's 'we,' paleface? Smile
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 08:23, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 01:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Business expansion involves a risk/reward calculation; generally, money goes out of pocket up front in the hopes/expectation that it will ultimately result in more income. A lower tax rate increases the possible upside of that calculation, and weighs in favor of expanding; conversely, a higher tax rate lowers the possible upside even in a best case scenario, and thus weighs against expanding.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Lobo, than are dreamt of in your business expansion.

Apparently there are more things considered in a business expansion than are dreamt of by theoreticians.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2862 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Going back to the OP...

We seem to keep forgetting that "the media" is a profit-making industry. Like any other business, they will produce and sell what they believe the public will buy. Sensationalism and exploitation have always sold; therefore, in the absence of any other major stories, they are now pushing on the elections.

In a way, the media does the same thing as those companies that produce infomercials to push the latest gadget or fad: they are creating interest in their product by putting it in your face over and over and getting people to talk about it. The "mercial" part of the infomercial is what's intended to make you come back for more. Next thing you know, the tabloids will jump on the bandwagon and start writing about the skeletons in the closet of every major contender.

Must be nice to be in a business where you can create interest in your product by making people think it's not a product. Geez, I'd love to come up with something like that. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
We do--it's called MAGIC.
- Albert Camus
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2862 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Actually, after I hit the Submit button, it hit me... law! Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think also that meaningful change must be slow and incrimental. Not harsh and lurching. This scares people and they react prior to being able to know if it is right or wrong.

Meaningful change is also quite complex and can not be boiled down to simple sound bites. This is not convienent at all mind you but it is true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 04:52, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think also that meaningful change must be slow and incrimental. Not harsh and lurching. This scares people and they react prior to being able to know if it is right or wrong.

Meaningful change is also quite complex and can not be boiled down to simple sound bites. This is not convienent at all mind you but it is true.

LOL I agree. People are like horses, they're scared off easily. Although I must say it sucks not being able to make a statement without sounding like the typical soundbite.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea many positions have been boiled down to them. The problem then is when someone disagrees with you and says "Thanks Rush".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 05:30, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea many positions have been boiled down to them. The problem then is when someone disagrees with you and says "Thanks Rush".

I didn't mean to insult poor old Rush or anyone else who references Hitler like he's a good comparison to a typical politician who doesn't commit genocide.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not my point, but it gets thrown about as a distraction when someone can not counter a point. Much like Rush uses Hitler.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19758 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just how many threads are you going to post this link on?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2513 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 05:43, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not my point, but it gets thrown about as a distraction when someone can not counter a point. Much like Rush uses Hitler.

Does Rush get another Hitler point? I'm confused.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can things ever change? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL