We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » 20 century brassiere as comical failure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
I have been doing 20th century brassiere trick for a few years, but I've been careful with whom I have done it on (I have never done it to anybody that I have not spoken to before the show, though I have not mentioned that I'd take them up on stage and pull their bra off). I'm getting the laughs, but I feel I'm crossing the line, as the spectator often becomes a wee bit embarrassed. This is not a good way to motivate more people to help on stage.

I think about changing to something more subtle, like a "do as I do" effect, where both the spectator and I should vanish a silk each and have it reappear between the silks tucked down the top of our shirts.

The effect should be that she manages to get it right, and I end up pulling up her bra tied between the silks from my shirt, instead of the vanished silk.

Any suggestions for how to make it clear that it is supposed to be her bra (me using a bra is totally out-of-character), and how to let her vanish her silk?
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
I am really struggling finding out how to allude that it is her bra - not mine. It is okay if the audience understand that I am only pretending it to be hers if they are having a good time.
Would it be sufficient that my silk ends between hers, and have the audience think that when I pull out it would be her silk (but end up with "her" bra instead)? Any suggestions are welcome.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The 19th Century Corset was really a comical failure, especially the Queen Victoria version.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Are you suggesting that the comedy would be better with a corset than a bra?
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
125 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Do the routine with a muscular looking GUY. It's more rediculous, and no one thinks it's really HIS bra, but they get the funny of it...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Thanks pr Piper.
That is definitely something to consider.
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Thanks for the link Makeup Guy. Interesting.
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
If there are still readers, please keep the suggestions coming.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
...Letting the audience assume that the bra is actually yours is kind of funny. After the appearence of the bra you could shrug your shoulders and say something to to effect of..."I used to work as lingere model before I took up magic".
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
This is a trick that I do only about once a year and only with the right audience and the right audience member.
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
@Rocky. I could alway pretend it is mine, but IMO that is less magical than pretending it is hers. I am not quite clear about how to get the message across, though.
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Any suggestions are welcome
scalito
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of scalito
I've performed this at a senior's community (people in their 60s) and they go crazy! I generally couch this as tying the handkerchiefs together and say that another handkerchief of any color they choose will appear between the two. I make it sound like this is a classic, elegant, magic effect and ask them to choose the color after they've put it in their blouse. They're so intent on the set up that they are floored when the bra appears.

I'm also considering doing this trick with a man, but substitute the bra with a huge pair of bloomers.
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Thanks Scalito. Nice subtle touches
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I would suggest doing this with a large man, rather than a woman. It can be very embarrassing for her, and that's not right. Make fun of yourself, but don't make audience members feel that uncomfortable. They may laugh, but I'd wager a lot of them simply didn't want to run away crying and ruin the show. Also, I'm not a violent person at all, and I love seeing magicians perform, but if someone did this to my wife, I'd punch them in the face, and end their show.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1096 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Choosing the right person is so important with this. Unless you know they won't be embarassed beforehand it'll always be a risk. You could choose Herr Brian's wife for instance, who may not take offence but then receive a punch in the face anyway!

And if you do it on a man, well.....that could end the same way.

My advice is to use the panties version of this and not the bra and do it to yourself. Get two people to pull the silks out of your trousers at the end. And unless you're going to get offended and punch yourself in the face all should go well.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My routine has been posted on the Café' a few times over the years. I've been doing it for a few decades now without much change. The routine as performed “suggests” that I am going to do the “Bra-Trick”.

How it is framed is that I am performing a double 20th Century Silks. I have a lady/girl from the audience help me. I tie two bandanas together and sort of tuck them into my belt. I can get a strong laugh or two doing this.

I tie two other bandanas together and go to tuck then into the blouse of the girl. I never get there (I never even get close, it would be rude)! I eventually have her hold them in her hands, chest high.

Now two bandanas are vanished. I take one end of a silk handing from my belt (again a laugh as I mug it up) and whisk it away. Huge colorful boxer shorts appear tied between them. It gets a strong laugh. This is the set-up and creates a bit of tension and expectation exactly what I need to create a real punch ending

Now there is by play as I approach the lady. Ultimately I will grasp a corner of a hanging bandana and whisk it away. The two vanished bandanas are seen tied between them! Note that NO BRA appears!

It gets a good laugh (usually the laughter secondary to the release of tension) when the bandanas appeared instead of a bra!

A rose or carnation is produced from the gathered bandannas and presented to the lady assistant for helping. And I don’t do any of that insulting “kiss me on the cheek and turn the head to get a kiss on the lips” bit. While a redneck, my character tries to be a gentleman!

There is dramatic tension built in the routine, there is a good set up for the expectation of a logical ending. However the punch line is to NOT produce the bra.

Everyone’s dignity (except mine) is preserved and no one is embarrassed. I simply don’t like to embarrass my spectators. I do try to create dramatic tension in them but give them proper release without any embarrassment. The audience does not laugh at my assistants, they laugh at me.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 16:59, Harry Murphy wrote:
My routine has been posted on the Café' a few times over the years. I've been doing it for a few decades now without much change. The routine as performed “suggests” that I am going to do the “Bra-Trick”.

How it is framed is that I am performing a double 20th Century Silks. I have a lady/girl from the audience help me. I tie two bandanas together and sort of tuck them into my belt. I can get a strong laugh or two doing this.

I tie two other bandanas together and go to tuck then into the blouse of the girl. I never get there (I never even get close, it would be rude)! I eventually have her hold them in her hands, chest high.

Now two bandanas are vanished. I take one end of a silk handing from my belt (again a laugh as I mug it up) and whisk it away. Huge colorful boxer shorts appear tied between them. It gets a strong laugh. This is the set-up and creates a bit of tension and expectation exactly what I need to create a real punch ending

Now there is by play as I approach the lady. Ultimately I will grasp a corner of a hanging bandana and whisk it away. The two vanished bandanas are seen tied between them! Note that NO BRA appears!

It gets a good laugh (usually the laughter secondary to the release of tension) when the bandanas appeared instead of a bra!

A rose or carnation is produced from the gathered bandannas and presented to the lady assistant for helping. And I don’t do any of that insulting “kiss me on the cheek and turn the head to get a kiss on the lips” bit. While a redneck, my character tries to be a gentleman!

There is dramatic tension built in the routine, there is a good set up for the expectation of a logical ending. However the punch line is to NOT produce the bra.

Everyone’s dignity (except mine) is preserved and no one is embarrassed. I simply don’t like to embarrass my spectators. I do try to create dramatic tension in them but give them proper release without any embarrassment. The audience does not laugh at my assistants, they laugh at me.

I like this! You have the implications, but nothing that could have someone feeling embarrassed. Plus, I think that'd be much funnier.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3268 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 16:33, Bjarne wrote:
I am really struggling finding out how to allude that it is her bra - not mine. It is okay if the audience understand that I am only pretending it to be hers if they are having a good time.
Would it be sufficient that my silk ends between hers, and have the audience think that when I pull out it would be her silk (but end up with "her" bra instead)? Any suggestions are welcome.

This is just my opinion, not a judgment on you or your outlook as a magician

There are 60 bazillion magic tricks that can be performed that will get laughs and standing ovations.

Why would you be performing any trick that requires struggling to prevent embarrassment to the spectator?

An entertainer does not know the story of people attending a performance, why would a magician risk triggering any negative reactions from the female audience member, the trick may get a laugh, but the laugh is at the potential embarrassment of the spectator, and you even admit that you struggle over it

This is just my personal opinion adding to the thread, I'm not questioning your motives or ability as a magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » 20 century brassiere as comical failure (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL