The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dai Vernon's Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MariusHaugan
View Profile
New user
Norway
91 Posts

Profile of MariusHaugan
When thought by Michael Ammar in Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol 1, what is the name of the false shuffle being used?

Best regards,
Marius Haugan.
"There is no branch of conjuring that so fully repays the amateur for his labor and study as sleight-of-hand with cards."
S.W Erdnase
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I perform the trick but I don't know if there is a name for the false shuffle.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
magicfan456
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicfan456
Hi, Although I've seen others use the Zarrow shuffle, I believe Ammar uses the "triumph shuffle" by Dai Vernon. Check out the description in Stars of Magic.
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
It is a push through shuffle.
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
MariusHaugan
View Profile
New user
Norway
91 Posts

Profile of MariusHaugan
3 Different answers there Smile

Does anyone ever use this only as a false shuffle? I was playing with the idea, wondering if it could work...
"There is no branch of conjuring that so fully repays the amateur for his labor and study as sleight-of-hand with cards."
S.W Erdnase
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Marius,

The Triumph false shuffle can be slightly altered to serve as a regular false shuffle, but I personally think there are other false shuffles better suited for that purpose (like the Zarrow shuffle).

Different applications of the Triumph shuffle are taught in a book called Stars of Magic. There is a section on Dai Vernon's Triumph that would have what you are looking for.

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
It's called the Triumph shuffle (basically a strip-out), but Ammar teaches it wrong. He teaches that the top cover card should slide over (which doesn't look very good). In Stars Of Magic, Vernon teaches the correct way to do it- that is that the top card remains still while the block underneath is slid over as a unit, deceptively duplicating the action of a regular shuffle.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
815 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Thanks for the tip Marko, I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to try doing that now.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I was also having trouble with the Triumph shuffle as Ammar taught it. I think he just described it too fast for my learning style.

It was recommended that I go straight to the source (Stars of Magic), so I did. That was great advice! Smile

The description of the shuffle in that book made my own Triumph shuffle improve very quickly! I'm not quite at Doc Eason's level yet, but I'm not afraid to perform it in public now!

Get the book, you'll be glad you did. It has a lot of great effects in it.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 17:47, marko wrote:
It's called the Triumph shuffle (basically a strip-out), but Ammar teaches it wrong. He teaches that the top cover card should slide over (which doesn't look very good). In Stars Of Magic, Vernon teaches the correct way to do it- that is that the top card remains still while the block underneath is slid over as a unit, deceptively duplicating the action of a regular shuffle.

I noticed that difference as well. What bothered me most about it was (if I remember correctly) that when Ammar does the "strip-out" part while simulating a cut, the top card doesn't go with the "cut" half! Huge discrepancy, don't you think? The shuffle and "cut" sequence in "Stars of Magic" looks much better to me.
Eschew obfuscation
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I done this many times where I gently slip the top card to the right packet and no one I have showed it to seemed to notice.

Now if I did it for some of you it might be noticed.

Sometimes we tend to overanalyze everything. But that's why it's fun. Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
carla
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of carla
I think the trouble with the version of the shuffle that Ammar teaches is that the motion involved in falsely pushing the two packs together is not one that anyone uses to complete an actual shuffle. The result is that it looks move-y. The "Stars of Magic" version does not look as weird.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dai Vernon's Triumph (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL