The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three wise monkeys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Below is the latest project I am working on....

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" is a common phrase, usually used to describe someone who doesn’t want to be involved in a situation. Unfortunately, no one knows for sure how it evolved. Because the saying is typically associated with three monkeys one covering his eyes, one covering his ears, and the other covering his mouth it is believed that the saying may have its origin in a 17th century temple in Japan. Others believe that the saying originated from a Japanese play on words. “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil," translated into Japanese is, “mizaru, kikazaru, iwazaru." The Japanese word for monkey is “saru", and sounds very similar to the verb-ending “zaru". It is easy to see how the saying may have originated from a fun play on words. The only problem with this explanation is that the three wise monkeys aren’t originally from Japan.
Just as there is disagreement about the origin of the phrase, there are differing explanations of the meaning of “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." Some contend that it is a proverb reminding us not to be so snoopy, so nosy, and so gossipy. Others say that it is a warning to stay away from places where immoral acts are taking place. Whatever the origin and meaning of “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil," it is one of the most visual phrases in existence. It’s impossible to hear it spoken without thinking of three wise, but very cute, little monkeys. Two spectators each think of one of the monkeys on the three cards ( Each card has written on it a phrase like SEE no EVIL) and mentally lock it in a secret way! Ok, fine, spelling Smile
You take the cards back and tell the spectators you are are going to do the "see no evil, speak no evil, and hear no evil mix" TWICE
You'll then hand each person a packet of 3 cards to MIX and take them back and CAN still divine each mentally selected Monkey under seemingly IMPOSSIBLE test conditions!!!!!!!!!!

I'll send the instructions to the 1st person who PMs me with proof a ten dollar donation to the magic Café sent after this post, fair enough?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Spelling 9letters, 10letters, 11letters....interesting you noticed that.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
This would be nice to use with the 3No evil cards I have from Doug Higley

steve
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Ordered this- will be getting it soon- though- I'm its very good as most all Jeff's stuff is. Will post after I get it and check it out.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
OK- got this, played with it and this is another fun effect to perform from Jeff. Jeff includes a pretty extensive patter regarding the origin of the sayings, "hear no evil, speak no evil and see no evil" which adds the the chracter of the effect. The effect is exactly as Jeff states- after the specs chooses a saying and spells their word they mentally picked- they deal a card under the pack for each letter of the word picked. You mix the cards twice and then giving each person a packet of cards to mix FREELY- you take the cards back and can always divine which saying the spec chose 100% of the time! The spectators do not say a word throughout the whole process. But what I really like is how the reveal can be done. Jeff includes a blank card with a sponge monkey glued to it. You then can move the monkeys arm and place his hand over the part of the body the spec chose- for instance, over the monkeys mouth if the spec chose "Speak no Evil" etc.. Just a different and fun way to make a mental reveal. Another effect from Jeff where there is nothing in the props that scream gimmick- very organic!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Three wise monkeys (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL