The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PERCEPTION (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27032 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 14:04, stoneunhinged wrote:
That's right.

It's like the difference between musical instruments: can most of us appreciate the difference between a $50K violin and a $2,000,000 one? No doubt the best players in the world notice a difference, but I wouldn't.

Performance art? Complete with Hendrix lighter fluid sacrifice at the end?

IMHO the fiddles will sound and look the same on a youtube clip. Or maybe Stradivarius fiddles burn in a different color?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15816 Posts

Profile of tommy
I know my Sharps and Flats
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I know my sharps...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3287 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I noticed a huge difference back in the Sixties and Seventies while street performing in Europe and on the US East Coast. Americans would watch and the would tip, but they didn't get very excited. They felt you must not really be any good or you would be on TV. The Brits and Europeans had much higher expectations of street performers, and would hire you for private gigs, invite you to their homes for dinner and things like that. They seemed to delight in having discovered an unknown artist, while Americans tended to want to be told you were really good.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15816 Posts

Profile of tommy
Paris has always had cool street performers and the city seems to me to have a theatre atmosphere about it. I guess its a city full of art. I used to go there often on business but I have not been there for some time now.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I read the article and I have two opinions
1 - Seriously flawed research design. Having to get to work on time is a variable with a huge influence
2 - Isn't there already enough news in Washington that you don't need to make up your own?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Pop, real street performers in Germany are rare these days. The ones who are really good can make a killing, since most street performers are just doing a form of begging rather than performing. When I see a good performer, I usually throw five or ten Euros at them. Just some hippy with a guitar might get a single Euro--if I like the music at all. I haven't seen a decent juggling act in Göttingen for at least a decade (and those guys cleaned up!--so it's not simply a question of profitability.) I have never seen a street performing magician in Germany, and I've lived here since 1995.

My son and I visited the Cologne cathedral a few weeks ago, and there were at least six or seven of those "living statues" (or whatever you call that street act) out in front of the church. Six or seven! I mean, what's the point of that? Where is the novelty? Can't people come up with an original idea?

It's all quite depressing, because I absolutely LOVE watching street performers.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2707 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 12:25, irossall wrote:
I heard that Sir Paul McCartney dressed down and played guitar in the New York subway. The results were the same.
Iven Smile

I don't know about that, but I do know he dressed down and played outside a London subway station for a sequence in his film "Give My Regards To Broad Street." He wasn't really there long enough to do very much.

I don't know what they were expecting. He was there at a rough time (rush hour) and he played an intricate piece no one there was really in a position to appreciate. I think people stop more if the musician is playing something that triggers the memory.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Peruvian flute band.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-29 22:45, critter wrote:
Peruvian flute band.

Right. For some reason, around here they play mostly during the Christmas season.

Actually, I should amend my above comments to say that the Christmas Market brings out tons of performers. There are, for example, many musicians from from the East (think: Russia) who are superbly talented and trained, and who sometimes play in large ensembles. I suppose that they all have day jobs, and therefore only show up at Christmas time because that's when they can get a good hat.

BUT: the Christmas time buskers are always (without exception) musicians. No jugglers. No living statues (too cold?).
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Jeff, I see an opportunity for you. Put on your cowboy hat, grab some ropes and busk up a down-on-the-ranch extravaganza. The locals are just waiting to fill your ten gallon hat.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PERCEPTION (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL