We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3145 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Growing up, AM was where you got the top 40 hits, and FM was this weird realm that all the cool kids listened to. Didn't take long before FM became lame as well.

Back in university, though, we were lucky in that we could pick up two different NPR stations from south of the border. One was all classical and the other was all jazz (besides Car talk and the news). It's funny how the internet has changed things -- if you want music these days you just go find it, but back then you were at the mercy of a jock's ability to put together a playlist.

Now, I can't quite remember with certainty, but I think that growing up I listened to the hockey games on CBC radio on AM, not FM. Not totally sure though.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
FM = music.
AM = talk radio, Spanish stations.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
You're kind of right, however there are Spanish Stations all over FM now too. You ever just try to embrace it? Sometimes when I have been stuck in traffic, I just channel until I find the most obnoxious sounding tune and crank it up and immerse myself in it (and those around me as well). My son hates when I do that... makes it more fun for me.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My memories of AM in college were WLS in Chicago and WLAC in Nashville, both 50,000-watt, clear channel rock stations at the time. (I think they've both gone to (or at least THROUGH) the talk radio phase now.

My best memory of FM was WZZQ in Jackson, Mississippi. It was a progressive rock station where I listened to King Crimson, Barclay James Harvest, Yes, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull, et al., when everything else was Top 40...

MAN, I MISS REAL FM!!!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
My first radio was an AM and I'm just old enough to remember the final days of Fibber McGee & Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Stella Dallas, Just Plain Bill and so many others. Had a big map of the U.S. on the wall and every night I would search up and down the dial to find new stations, whereupon, a red pushpin went into the map.
Driving across country years later, I was delighted to find wide expanses where only AM was available. Many still broadcasting their own radio dramas.

I still DX the shortwave on good nights. Amazing what you can find.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 13:41, stoneunhinged wrote:
But that's my question, critter. Is there a difference between AM and FM conceptually these days?

XM vs streaming from a genre specific site?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Right. Satellite, podcasts and Mp3 make AM and FM both obsolete.
Pity the poor broadcast sales rep these days. Everything is so fragmented, market share is measured in decimal points.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I recall discovering FM in the early to mid 70's. We knew it as the "album" stations. You'd get an entire album side play of things like Uriah Heep, Iron Butterfly, Kraftwerk, etc. Stuff you could get lost in and that your momma hated. Great for fogging up the car windows, too! What was funny was that very often the end of the album meant several minutes of silence. We figured the DJ's were out back pounding a doobie, and forgot to change the record! Ha! This was way before pre-programming and push-button.

AM was for call-in requests, puppy love dedications, and putzy pop hits. Eventually, FM became infected with that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Local AM has it's niche. As do several urban or college based FM stations.

IMHO it's about offering brand specific reassurance.

We have a local station, WHUD, playing over the speakers at work. Today when they were playing the Beatles "Hello Goodbye" I was struck by how the song sounds when Paul McCartney opens his show with it these days.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
For me, Micheal nailed it:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 17:59, Michael Baker wrote:
I recall discovering FM in the early to mid 70's. We knew it as the "album" stations. You'd get an entire album side play of things like Uriah Heep, Iron Butterfly, Kraftwerk, etc. Stuff you could get lost in and that your momma hated. Great for fogging up the car windows, too! What was funny was that very often the end of the album meant several minutes of silence. We figured the DJ's were out back pounding a doobie, and forgot to change the record! Ha! This was way before pre-programming and push-button.

AM was for call-in requests, puppy love dedications, and putzy pop hits. Eventually, FM became infected with that.

We put up BA (Big ***) antennas to pick up (FM) WYDD and WDVE in Pittsburgh, 120 miles away. But it was cool to listen to WLS (AM) in Chicago, probably 1200 miles away. Our local AM played the top 40 plus just about anything: Sinatra, Johhny Cash, "Alley Cat" every dang 2 hours for 30 years, and our FM was mono. FM had a record player. They put a stack on at 8:00 a.m. after local news and flipped over at 6:00 p.m. Sign off was 11:00. It was country and they changed the stack on Mondays. When a record skipped a listener would call the only employee who would be down at the American Legion bar and let him know. Many years later, I worked there and was the one who tool the record player out and installed a satellite receiver: C-Band analog, but at least it was stereo.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I listen to FM for local news only.
Internet Radio is what I listen to 95% of the time. Of course not all Internet radio is worth listening to just as not all FM is worth listening to but you have a choice of thousands of Internet stations to listen to and most don't have commercial interuptions.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 23:03, Beano wrote:
For me, Michael nailed it:

For me too.

Michael, that was a great post.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I still listen to FM while driving, and sometimes at home, but then again, my van still has a cassette deck! Did I say 'van'? Ha!

I have gone to the dark side though... my computer is loaded with Uriah Heep, Iron Butterfly, Kraftwerk, etc. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a tape player in my car too Smile I don't use it much though because it's gone glitchy. I love my car even if I'm the only one. 'Course, my other two cars don't even have radios.
My girlfriend's car has the cd player. When we carpool I go back and forth between the radio and cd's. In the morning I like to listen to the Dave, Ken, and Molly show because they're funny and I like the "Win Dave's Money" trivia game. I do hate the soulless pop music they play on that station though.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Is this a Mr. Burns or Grandpa Simpson thing?

You know when 78s were new and ankles were just starting to show?
What a time. Then those other formats came along and skirts went up and it all got confusing. I miss those days.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

I love being an old fart.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Y'know..maybe I'm the only one who remembers AM stereo. Problem was, there were 4 "types" of AM stereo, and the industry took forever, if they ever did, to decide upon one. Like the difference in VHS and beta. I worked at one station that was AM stereo, it was a music-based format, before most AM went all news/talk/sports. The AM stereo still wasn't great quality. I still have 2 Sony radios with AM stereo, and you'd have to switch from one type to another.

On the whole AM/FM difference thing, I was already well embarked in my radio career when FM was mostly underground album cuts (AOR) and AM was top 40 (CHR) stuff. If you can find the Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Ackroyd as the DJ...that will explain the differences to the younger folks here.

Steve
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I love this topic. It makes me feel young!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FM (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL