The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gibecière (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have long wanted to make my own gibecière for use in my work at Renaissance faires. The motivation for wanting to make my own is because I have great skill in leatherworking and would enjoy the time spent making it. Is there anybody on here that has a good pattern for a gibecière that they would be willing to share? If not, does anyone know somebody that has one and would be willing to share it?

I realize that designing my own is an option, but I would like to see what else is out there too. I also realize that there are plenty of places from which to purchase one, but that is not my desire here.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
If you want to see other designs just look at pictures I guess. I know it took Gazzo years to arrive at his design which makes the bag look the same whether empty or full and is deceptive in regards how small it looks in relation to what it can carry.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
That is the conclusion I am quickly coming to, along with having to experiment with a blend of different materials to get to that point. This will be a bit difficult as I am trying to make it an accurate period accessory, more for Renaissance and Medieval era re-enactments. Thanks for your input James!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Of course Bill Palmer knows about these things when he is available.
In the meantime, you might research period images of game pouches in hunting scenes
and costume books. This being the origin of the magician's pouch.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-17 17:25, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Of course Bill Palmer knows about these things when he is available.
In the meantime, you might research period images of game pouches in hunting scenes
and costume books. This being the origin of the magician's pouch.

I have many of these already, but none of them quite fit my needs. I started some years back, when I was still in Europe, finding paintings with street performers and hunting scenes to get some ideas. Costume books usually seem to provide designs that are more geared toward their use as a fashion/catch-all bag (which, technically speaking, is their traditional purpose), rather than a pouch-style one would use for magical needs.

I could easily make one up, but I just do not want to have to do it four or five times before I find the right design/solution.

Thanks for your input Jazzy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gibecière (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL