The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is the swami gimmick/nail writer dead? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Not dead in MY books!
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
A secret weapon in my books and I use it often as "It's all in how you use it," my NW that is. I agree that maybe this should be taken down stairs though.

I remember performing once for a group of girls that hired me out for a 25 birthday party. The one girl said that she loved the show the mentalist and knew how a lot of what I do was done and the one thing she brought up was the NW. (she didn't call it that though) I remember just cringing when hearing this but at the same time I tried to look at the positive side and took it as a test to see if I was using it properly. The show went great, and in the end she had no idea at all as we talked afterwords and she said that a lot of the things on the show, must just be thought up by Hollywood as she was unable to figure anything out.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 17:23, mastermindreader wrote:
It is respect for the art that seems to be dying.

This
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
You can use a double lift and freak people out still. And you can still perform Do As I Do (which is just a key card, the oldest one in the book) and with the right framing, create something amazing.

If you can't us a swami, then you certainly can't peek, 'cos that's just 'looking'.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 17:23, mastermindreader wrote:
It is respect for the art that seems to be dying.

Bob, I see you are an optimist. Me, I thought that respect you talk about was long dead already.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Sorry LOH. It's not dead. If it was, we wouldn't be discussing it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Well, not entirely true. One can mourn on a dead person over months or years after her death.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well, as long as some of us are still around who respect the art, that respect still lives.

But it does appear to be on life support.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
You are entitled to your opinion, LOH.

But I fail to see how declaring that "respect" for the art dead is in any way helpful in trying to gently explain to other performers that some restraint should be used in the way "secret" things are referred to in an open forum.

My goal in the above post wasn't to make anyone feel foolish. (Nor am I trying to pick a fight with you. I am, after all, Canadian...and we don't generally pick fights with anyone. Smile... although I expect that on this topic, we will simply have to agree to disagree.)

My goal certainly wasn't to promote a debate as to whether or not respect is dead, either. It was just to instill a little respect for the "daily bread" props we use.

If we have people who newcomers should look up to like you, LOH, trotting around trumpeting the death of respect for the secrets...where does that leave us?

People need to be told that revealing secrets is NOT in their best interest. Discussing them in an open forum like this isn't in their best interests either.

Let's set aside any likelihood that someone will find the terms here and research them. (I agree it's highly unlikely. And I have said on many occasions that if someone really wants to know how an effect is done or what a NW is, they can find the information.) It is the ATTITUDE toward the secret things that bothers me. If we don't reverence the things we use to make a living...who will?

It is purely a basic matter of respect for the prop, for the people who are using the prop and the people who have designed the prop.

Respect isn't dead until no one cares. I care.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 17:58, PaulPacific wrote:
Not dead in MY books!

We were not discussing the toe writer, Paul! Whether it is alive or dead is still under discussion on another forum. It does not smell very alive.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Look, the Svengali Deck has been hawked at county and state fairs, flea markets, swap meets and a million other locations for many decades. It's probably the most exposed magic utility in history.

And yet with the right routine with the right handling, ringing the deck in and out naturally, you can fool even the most seasoned magicians.

Like my dad used to say, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 20:53, Spellbinder wrote:

We were not discussing the toe writer, Paul! Whether it is alive or dead is still under discussion on another forum. It does not smell very alive.

LOL Spell! ;-)
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I use the swami ALL THE TIME. I usually guess the exact amount of money in their pocket and it is a great effect. People don't even know the swami exists and most people don't watch the shows that reveal tricks.

Here is a quick performance of the swami in action....
http://youtu.be/bvySIx5K7VA
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 23:53, Benji Bruce wrote: Here is a quick performance of the swami in action....http://youtu.be/bvySIx5K7VA
That makes a great promo-video, Benji... but it's not a great example of an actual performance because of the camera trick used to sell the promo.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Neither is dead, neither was ever born.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2011-08-17 00:02, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 23:53, Benji Bruce wrote: Here is a quick performance of the swami in action....http://youtu.be/bvySIx5K7VA
That makes a great promo-video, Benji... but it's not a great example of an actual performance because of the camera trick used to sell the promo.

There was no camera trick involved. It was a real performance
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
[quote]On 2011-08-17 00:36, Benji Bruce wrote:
Quote:
There was no camera trick involved. It was a real performance
Granted, it was a real performance. However, the live audience did not see it the same way the promo-video portrays it. I won't go into detail unless you want me to. However the camera angles are used to convince the viewing audience that the effect was done minus something that the live audience did see. That equates to camera trick to me. How am I wrong?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I thought you were saying I pulled a Criss Angel Smile...anyone who performs on camera should be aware of two different audiences Smile. A camera trick is what Criss Angel does. Being aware that you have two different audiences is what Derren Brown does. Huge difference
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of marklock
Yes its dead. For your own sake never use it ... abandon it at once. People see "write" through it and unless you desire to be embarrassed in front of others I suggest using something else... I recommend electronics as these are more current and up to date. Please everyone... if you haven't got the message, this tool is a dead end. A pro wouldn't be caught dead using such a thing, this is amateur stuff (you can get like four of em for $10... how can that be a legitimate tool?). Thanks to the OP for increasing awareness of such a worthless item.
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
It's kind of sad to see that some people exposing on this open forum all sorts of technics and materials and the same time complain that they are dead.
I did not know that magic or mentalism had to be expensive to be powerful???
Watch one presentation of Bob Cassidy or Max Maven, with one piece of paper and a pen they do miracles and it costs less than 10$ ????????!!!!!!

Cheers
Pourang
Cheers
Pourang
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is the swami gimmick/nail writer dead? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL