The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Death Toll vs Dead Ringer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
I'm considering purchasing another spirit bell (which I need like a hole in the head). In any event, was hoping any who own or have had the opportunity to work w/ Taylor Imagineering's / Bruce Ballon's Death Toll and Tim Wisseman's Dead Ringer would be kind enough to share pro's and con's. As I don't yet have enough posts to be allowed in the Crypt, I'm posting the request here, but please Private Message me if you have potentially sensitive info to share.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I have both of these bells, and they are both wonderful. They work just as they should. If anything, Dead Ringer may look more innocent, since it is just a crystal bell on a wooden stand. On the other hand, you can essentially take apart Death Toll and put it back together in front of their eyes. Also innocent looking, yet they work flawlessly. It all boils down to what you are looking to achieve in your performance. What you see in the ads are what you will get.
John
EddiefromEugene
View Profile
New user
Eugene, Oregon
83 Posts

Profile of EddiefromEugene
The spirit bell that comes with the Hobbs is great. I was trying to decide on a spirit bll as well a while back and figured the Hobbs box would be e way to go for m since it's so versatile. Economy won over. But that's just me
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
All - thanks for your input/ links

@jonnyboy - I'm leaning towards Death Toll as it appears to be much louder than Dead Ringer (tho' agree, love the "more innocent look" of DR). However, I'm hoping to incorporate it with Luna and/or Suicide Hotel (clearly an appropriate look for SH, and I think I can make a reasonable story that the bell was used to summon a records clerk/nurse from a back room for Luna).

Tho' to do so, I would have to age it -- e.g., using a brass aging solution and then some separate work on the wooden base -- not looking forward to this.

You mention it can be "taken apart" -- something I'd like to do...have it in pieces (to "stop the ringing late at night"), only to put it together as part of preparing for spirit contact. Do you have a sense as to how much trouble it will be to age all the "parts" (versus just the outside), so all the "pieces" (to the extent taken apart) also appear aged? Do I run a significant risk of damaging the werks trying to age the "pieces"?
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Nope - but just call or email Chris Taylor - he can explain more and also he can likely age the bell for you at his shop and save you the trouble
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
@Dr Spektor - Excellent thought. I hadn't thought to ask Chris, b/c I didn't see anything "aged" on his site, but I've just sent him an email in response to your prompting.
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I wouldn't presume to tell you how to age the bell. Not my specialty. I've been using Death Toll with Suicide Hotel, explaining that all four hotel guests rang the bell to get the desk clerk's attention when they checked in, but only one rang it the next morning to check out. When the spectator selects the picture of the person they believe to have been the survivor, the bell rings on its own at that exact time. The use of a spirit bell of some sort is suggested with Suicide Hotel, but Death Toll fits in perfectly into the story line.
John
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
@jonnyboy - Very nice, very creepy.
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
@Dr Spektor - exchange emails w/ Christopher. At least double price if he ages it. So, I'm going to try aging it myself.Smile Christopher did give me some tips to avoid damaging the werks. I'll try to remember to take some before/after pics to show the results, in case anyone is interested in how this comes out.
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Personally just take some ammonia and vinegarvwith a bunco of salt and flip it with the ringer and bell.... Zip lock and rub all over and leave a day... Nice green patina...I've used it on bronze medallions etc
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
716 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I have both. Christopher/Bruce's Death toll is beautiful and Tim's Dead Ringer is a piece of magical art. They are both completely enchanting in different ways. I use Death Toll now for my ending to my bizarre effect "The Fairmont Hotel" which used a normal front desk hotel style bell until I bought Death Toll and I use Tim's Dead Ringer for my paranormal seance shows exclusively which ads a fantastic look to a seance performance.

Both bells are amazing and if you have to choose only one, I cannot recommend one over the other as they are completely different in looks and style of usage. I recommend, save up and get both. You will not be disappointed.

I cannot think of any cons with either of the bells. They both work perfectly and look totally awesome. No technical issues with either as they are both a dream to operate.

TC
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 14:10, Tony Chris wrote:
...I recommend, save up and get both. You will not be disappointed....

TC

The real hurdle is explaining to the wife why I "need" yet another spirit bell. I've successfully negotiated Death Toll with her. I have a B-day coming up in October, so once the "newness" of DT has worn off, I may commence negotiations on Dead Ringer!

Thanks for your input (and for everyone else's; again much appreciated).
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
716 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
Yes, the explaining to the wife can be a problem. The way I get around this is to hide the truth from my wife. I always believe that what she does not know will not hurt her.

I live with the guilt but that is when I rely on my good friend Jack Daniels to help me resolve my issues or a few shots of Southern Comfort also eases the pain and makes things right in the universe.

That's just me though!

TC
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
I have them both and love them both
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
DT arrived Friday afternoon. Picked up remaining aging supplies Saturday evening. Have spent all Sunday morning aging DT. For those interested, here's some before and after pics:

TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
888 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Is the base real wood? Nice job aging the bell, looks great!
TH1
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Yes, base is real wood. The prop is beautiful (in new/polished condition or aged).
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Nice work!!!
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 19:19, Tony Chris wrote:
Yes, the explaining to the wife can be a problem. The way I get around this is to hide the truth from my wife. I always believe that what she does not know will not hurt her.

I live with the guilt but that is when I rely on my good friend Jack Daniels to help me resolve my issues or a few shots of Southern Comfort also eases the pain and makes things right in the universe.

That's just me though!

TC

God love you, protecting the little lady from things best left unknown. Cheers my friend but I would suggest MaCallam 12 year old to ease the guilt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Death Toll vs Dead Ringer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL