The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which coin trick is the best and why should I buy it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
devin_devil
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of devin_devil
I have been performing card tricks only and I am new to coin tricks. Which are considered the best coin tricks and what should I buy? Thanks Smile
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
You will probably get lots of folks suggesting that you buy a book off the top, like Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. If you're interested in taking up coin magic, it will give you a great grounding in the ways and means of coins.

Alternately, if you're seeking a quick fix, you might try a gaffed coin trick from Johnson Products; just about any magic shop will have them. Or check with Roy Kueppers online...he machines gaffed coin sets and also sells them on eBay.

Todd Lassen makes gaffed sets of incredible quality, but you'll pay for that quality, and it sounds like neither you or I are ready to buy them quite yet.

Best of luck.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The "Best" is very subjective. What I would do is purchase a good book or video on coin sleights. A book or video by David Roth or Bobo is a good start. As far as over the counter coin effects, maybe Scotch & Soda would be a good bet. The Penny In The Matchbox is my personal favorite to perform, it is self working (except for the coin vanish) and the result is nothing short of Miraculous. I don't really do coins so I am not the best judge of what is the best effect. I think that learning some basic sleights is even more important for coin work than for cards. A person can do hundreds of card effects with no sleight of hand but I know of very few coin effects that don't require at least a little sleight of hand. Best of luck to you and I know that you will get the help that you need here at the Magic Café'.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The best coin trick is and always will be, the one you enjoy doing, that gets the reaction you are looking for and gives you a sense of satisfaction after having performed it.

That truly answers that question, now if you want to know what each person feels is their best...well that will get you a whole lot of different answers. My top two would be Coins Across and Coins Through the Table.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Bobo's modern coin magic. For less than $10, you will be studying that for monthes. It was so many sleights and tricks.
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
105 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
I'm going to have to recomend Scotch and Soda. It's the best selling self working coin trick of all time you can find it here --> http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?......ID=28913 Smile
samcat
View Profile
New user
Bristol, Uk
13 Posts

Profile of samcat
Bobo's coin magic.

I got this book very discounted when I got Royal road to card magic. Have looked at the first chapter, and it seems very well laid out, and nicely presented to help make the learning easier.

Far better to spend the money on a book which will teach you loads of tricks/techniques than on a single gimmick.

Cya,
Sam C
There is nothing more conformist than mass non-conformancy.
denver
View Profile
New user
Athens, Ga
66 Posts

Profile of denver
yea, i have to agree with what was said above, the scotch and soda is one of my favorites, its a great trick and fools so many Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Before spending any money on coin magic, (other than Bobo's) I'd suggest a visit to Dan Watkin's site. http://www.coinvanish.com/ Smile

It's a great resource.

If you know Scotch and Soda, get in touch with Peter Marucci for info on a gimmick free S&S.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Robert52
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Robert52
I think everyone has about covered it. I would definetly go with Bobo's coin magic for a start. It's a great buy and a great place to start. David Roth's tapes or DVD's are also very good. These should get you started. Good luck and have fun !!!
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
scotch and soda all the way!!!
i have done this for 3 years and people love it
Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Gambit242
View Profile
New user
Monroe, La
68 Posts

Profile of Gambit242
I agree with CardSharp..

Scotch and Soda is a great effect that is SOOO easy to perform...

It is always a crowd pleaser.

Good luck,
Gambit242
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Greg Wilson does some pretty cool coin routines in "On the Spot". I just received these tapes so I haven't practiced or performed any yet, but he does a dime and penny transposition in the spectators hand that looks pretty easy as well as havin fun with learning about presentation (timing... find those off-beats!)
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Bobo is definately a great place to start. Also Michael Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic is very informative. As far as trick coins, the first one I got was Johnson's Hopping Halves. It's awesome! Smile
..::damienfell::..
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Questions like "what is the best?" are always an individual thing. Routines that a good performer presents may be good for them but not everyone else. The routines and effects that you choose should match your personality and your own individual style of performance.
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
S&S or dime and penny are nice gaffs to start with.

I just purchased Roth Expert Coin Magic Vol 1 and it's great!
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
Go with the Scoth and Soda and Lethal Tender tricks. Not only do you get nice coins with the tricks, they are great routines and they kill laymen!
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
Scotch and soda is cheap and its a great effect. Add some flash paper and it really shines(because of the flash of fire haha ) Smile

Tony Smile
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Hi devin-

Learn by heart the basic sleights first before going for gaffed effects, it sure is needed to perform whatever you decide. For me, I (always) carry my okito box in my pocket, never fails to register with audiences.

Would have loved to use the Scotch & Soda, however, it would be illogical to use it in my country where the denomination is different.

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
I'd start with Scotch and Soda to build confidence and to perform an amazing trick. A copper/silver is nice and a shell for a nice matrix trick is great.
But the DVD's are my choice if you want to build a nice foundation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which coin trick is the best and why should I buy it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL