We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your First Car (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I got my first car in 1991. My first car was a 1982 Delta 88 Oldsmobile in Dark Brown. It was a company car that my mother had driven and she was going to turn it in for a new one when I bought it from her boss. I had saved for about a year to buy a car it and it all worked out! The car lasted me for 4 years thru high school until I crashed it into the back of a station wagon. There was hardly any damage done to it, but the Blue Book on it was like $300 or something and my insurance wouldn't pay for it so they totaled it out.

Ahhhh....good times!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Man this makes me feel young. Then again, I never actually had my own car while in school.

Perhaps my daughter's first car will be one like this:

http://www.moller.com/index.php?option=c......temid=57
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
1966 Plymouth Valiant. Plain, but incredibly durable.

My next car was a 1969 Pontiac Firebird - loved it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
1984 Mark V Mini! Nothing handles like a real Mini (as opposed to the current BMW trash) - nothing except a go-kart.
I envy you guys from the US who had great big old whales though, it makes me believe in Happy Days and American Graffiti!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Blue Volvo 1975, that was handed down to me. But the first car I bought myself was a Toyota Corolla 1980. It was a stick and I was just learning to drive a stickshift; I got stuck near the top of a hill. There were four guys on the corner playing dominoes and drinking beer, and they offered to help me up the hill and over. So they got in and drove it a few blocks over the hill. Afterwards, it occurred to me that I had just given my car over to total strangers who could have done anything with it.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Light blue '91 Plymouth Colt hatchback. No A/C, no radio, manual transmission. I used to joke if I couldn't find a parking spot, I could just pop out the windshield and sling it over my shoulder. It was a Christmas gift from my dad, who paid for it in cash, so I didn't really complain.

It lasted me 10 years before it died. I sorta miss that car sometimes. Although it was small, it had a lot of cargo space, and got great gas mileage.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 09:27, landmark wrote:
Blue Volvo 1975, that was handed down to me. But the first car I bought myself was a Toyota Corolla 1980. It was a stick and I was just learning to drive a stickshift; I got stuck near the top of a hill. There were four guys on the corner playing dominoes and drinking beer, and they offered to help me up the hill and over. So they got in and drove it a few blocks over the hill. Afterwards, it occurred to me that I had just given my car over to total strangers who could have done anything with it.

That was a good car. Had they stolen it, they might still be driving it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My first car was supposed to be a green AMC Hornet. That was what my Mom kept telling me right up until a week before she sold it. Man, that would have been awesome. My first daily driver was an '84 Camaro, which I soon traded for a '74 Satellite whose engine I completely rebuilt from the ground up. I still have the Satellite too but it needs new breaks.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1941 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Only two people described their cars by displacement, guess there's no Californians or Southerners here.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1941 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 06:53, Erwin wrote:
1984 Mark V Mini! Nothing handles like a real Mini (as opposed to the current BMW trash) - nothing except a go-kart.
I envy you guys from the US who had great big old whales though, it makes me believe in Happy Days and American Graffiti!
The new Cooper S only rides like a BMW, it corners like a go cart on rails.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 10:45, ringmaster wrote:
Only two people described their cars by displacement, guess there's no Californians or Southerners here.

318 V8
~Will Rogers
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 10:45, ringmaster wrote:
Or guys like me from Detroit.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh yeah, and it's the LA 318, not the A 318. The L stands for 'Light.'

It's no Hemi, but it gets the job done. Left many a Honda in the dust.

I believe the '48 is around 251.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
My guess is that only Craig noticed, but when I was describing my friend Roger's car from back in my Detroit-area days, I mentioned that it was a '69 289 high performance. So like him, I associate displacement with Detroit, not California. As a matter of fact, as one of California's native sons, I'd say that Detroiters are probably more obsessed with cars than southern Californians.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My cousin's old man is the one I bought the Camaro from and then traded it for the Satellite to. He has over 500 cars that he's bought mostly from auctions. I'd call that obsessed.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
500? 500?

I think the word "obsessed" might indeed be appropriate.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
I grew up with many friends who when a car drove by would immediately tell what the car had under the hood.
Some of them were pretty obsessive about it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 14:58, motown wrote:
I grew up with many friends who when a car drove by would immediately tell what the car had under the hood.
Some of them were pretty obsessive about it.

Their kids now have LAN parties and talk about processors and RAM.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Funny!
– Karl Germain
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 14:58, motown wrote:

Years ago I had a friend who could identify any car on the raod, even from way far away, by it's tail lights. He never missed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your First Car (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL