The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Third Hand Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3040 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I just purchased a "Third Hand". I want to make a magic curtain sort of thing to use with it. I was going to use a 2 foot piece of PVC pipe with caps and put a cloth over it.

I'm just wondering if there is anything more to this type of gimmick that I haven't considered. It seems simple enough.

Is there a book that goes over the construction and handling of this thing?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't know if there is a book on this topic/item, but one thing I did when I made mine was to begin with a slightly different frame on which the curtain is fastened. In addition to the front rod across the top, each end turns 90 degrees back to form small side walls. My curtain is about 3 feet wide across the front and each side wall comes back about 9 or 10 inches. This does wonders for fixing angle problems.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Denny Loomis had a BRILLIANT writeup a few months ago in M.U.M. on just that subject
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3040 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That is a great idea Michael. I'm glad I posted before I went out to get the supplies.

Brody, thanks for the tip. I'm going to check with the local magic shop and see if they have that back issue.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
When I first received my third hand from the Creator after several years of life on earth, my ex-wife sewed it onto a black performance jacket at the elbow position. I used a black glove to cover my hand. When you raise your elbow to the audience, they will see the "hand" freeing your real hand to do the dirty.
Get it?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3040 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I must not be pictureing that right. Wouldn't it look like a guy with 4 fingers on his elbow and a black glove on his hand?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
402 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I am confused too.... On another note, I put a fine coating of corn starch on the inside to help in cutting down friction for insertion of your fingers.
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of danster08
I know this article is over a year old, but I am wondering if anyone knows what issue of M.U.M. has the Denny Loomis article on using the third hand gimmick.
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
DonKnox
View Profile
New user
Oceanside, CA
33 Posts

Profile of DonKnox
Hi,

MUM - February 2010

Regards,

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Third Hand Gimmick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL