The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it me or is mentalism boring? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ambiguity has been the core of my presentations for a decade - I always say I promise to raise questions but also I promise not to provide answers Smile - works well - key is as a performer not to appear you have any for sure else you divide yourself from the audience and lose the real magic - also burger and Neale wrote about this yeArs ago and max maven has had shows dedicTed to it eg "an evening of knowing and not knowing".... And heck my true inspirAtion for going this path trails back to rod Serling - a master mystic storyteller along with his buds Richard matheson and Hugh Beaumont

Ie don't think we've hit anything new per se but getting back to what others knew was the secret of unleashing imagination

Likely this goes back 1000s of years

Boring mentalism - someone appearing to have answers and thus being an ***
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Probably not mentalism, but some mentalists...
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 08:48, OnTiltSoon wrote:
Probably not mentalism, but some mentalists...

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Of course it is perfectly possible to be 'magical' whilst doing mentalism. It is possible to be magical by making balloon animals. Although I would recommend a preschool audience to achieve this. It is just as possible to be magical telling a story, or just looking into someone's eyes.
I want to keep this one tread free of plugs - but I will say that the idea of getting something VERY simple and VERY, VERY basic and transforming it into genuine magic is fascinating me at the moment.(Godzilla, I understand why you would want to call it 'magick'- but this is my one man campaign to 'reclaim' the word for magicians!).
This is why Burger's material is so enduring and can be genuinely magical. But then again, *he* is magical. Being magical yourself seems to be a prerequisite. Being cocky, arrogant and egocentric just wont do it. I have talked before that the biggest occupational hazard for a magician is ego contamination; an arrogance brought on by subconsciously associating oneself with the magician being portrayed. This 'I am clearly on the road to divinity' attitude is seen more in mentalism that anywhere else. I think that this is because some of is less intelligent proponents set up a distance between the 'clever, gifted' performer and the 'stupid, fairly useless' audience. I find, and these are all personal observations, that Bizzare magic is more inclusive. It invites the audience into the strange place that the magician has delineated for them.

Of course to produce 'real magic', we need to define the term.

....that won't be easy.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Real magic is what happens to them rather a crowd observing you, which is why I think bizarre is the strongest area, in that regard, of the magical arts.
Ambiguity is incredibly powerful as the audience are left to make their own minds as regarding what had happened and people will choose to believe what they feel sits most comfortably with them. They are creating the magic in their own minds and the emotions this induces will stay with them long after the performance has finished.
I am working on adding some new concepts to my show that will ensure the effect it has upon people is long lasting.
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

If we are producing ambiguity, we are doing a real service that goes way beyond magic.

Here is an experiment in ambiguity you can all try out yourself (from Big Bob again! - 'maybe logic').
Spend an entire day without being sure of anything. Do not make a definitive statement. Always be aware that reality does not actually exist, all we perceive as 'reality' is just what our senses interpret. We all interpret this 'data' in totally different ways.
So - why not bring ambiguity into your own life and your own thinking. Instead of saying 'this is', say 'to me, this appears to be'. See how long you can keep this up without falling into the old patterns of thought. To me this could be the the short cut to being magical.
The practical application of this could *maybe* be transformational.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Agreed. Subconscious doors open more quickly when we allow for ambiguity. When we stop imposing definitions and our very limited experience onto the things in front of us, we free ourselves from being dull and ordinary
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 12:36, Christopher Gould wrote:
If we are producing ambiguity, we are doing a real service that goes way beyond magic.

Here is an experiment in ambiguity you can all try out yourself (from Big Bob again! - 'maybe logic').
Spend an entire day without being sure of anything. Do not make a definitive statement. Always be aware that reality does not actually exist, all we perceive as 'reality' is just what our senses interpret. We all interpret this 'data' in totally different ways.
So - why not bring ambiguity into your own life and your own thinking. Instead of saying 'this is', say 'to me, this appears to be'. See how long you can keep this up without falling into the old patterns of thought. To me this could be the the short cut to being magical.
The practical application of this could *maybe* be transformational.

This sounds frighteningly close that dirty science I've been warned about! Smile

There appears to be good evidence to suggest that I need another cup of coffee...
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
It seems right now that we are better equipped than ever before to create a true sense of magic. Some of the electronic wizardry is good enough to found a religion (or at least a decent sized cult). In bizarre particularly we are spoiled for choice for sources to buy props on a level never before seen. The ability to create a genuine magic experience for the spectator should be closer to our grasp than in a long time. I also think at the rate technology is moving with some of the more popular mind reading electronic items the technology will be so commonplace as to prevent their use. While magicians always have to shift around technology. I can see mentalists needing to make major changes to their acts to stay relevant and remain impressive.
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

I can never get the batteries in right.....
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Oooooweeee! Such intellectualization in this thread! It's not that complicated.

We're storytelling creatures. We invent and experience our world around our stories. Without stories, there is nothing.

Like most magicians.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
But what makes a good story and a good storyteller? Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 17:55, Dr Spektor wrote:
But what makes a good story and a good storyteller? Smile

timing! no wait...wrong joke...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it me or is mentalism boring? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL