We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does any one know a good.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
I didn't know where to post this. I recently bought what I believe to be a first edition book (Blackstone's Modern Card Tricks & Secrets of Magic). In my research on line I have found this book selling for several different prices. What I need is a good site that has some sort of price guide on books. I am coming up short with my searches. Does any one know a good site that might be helpful with this. I would like to know if I lucked up on a collectable or As some of the prices I have found online suggest some thing I could make a hefty profit on. Maybe some one here knows what I have and can tell me. I am just hoping to get pointed it the right direction.

Thank you,
Martock
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
Try some of the Used book dealers like H&R or George Daily.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I was going to recommend H&R. That particular book is not totally uncommon. At least I can say I've seen them available before, as you seem to have indicated in your searches. The problem is often sellers (especially on Ebay) will know that they have a vintage book, recognize the name (like Blackstone), and think they are sitting on a pile of gold, when in fact they aren't. You will often find grossly overpriced books in such places. The question is, do they sell??

Obviously, once the real price range is established, condition is everything. H&R is as good a place to start as any.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Do you have the Doubleday (Garden City) 1941 edition, or the 1929 George Sully edition? And what condition is the book in?

I have the 1941 edition, and the book is in very good condition, except that the pages are all badly discoloured.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 12:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Do you have the Doubleday (Garden City) 1941 edition, or the 1929 George Sully edition? And what condition is the book in?

I have the 1941 edition, and the book is in very good condition, except that the pages are all badly discoloured.

John

Its the Garden City 1941. The condition is fantastic. I only paid $10 for it. I have seen some of these in almost mint condition sell for upwards of $400. Not on ebay btw. The only ones that I find with these prices are first editions. I just never thought a book would be worth that much mulla.

Thanks for the help,
Martock
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Interesting. Have the pages discoloured as mine have?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I just searched http://www.abebooks.com and there are 41 copies of the 1941 book listed, ranging from $4 to $107.

The more expensive copies are in nearly new condition with the dust jacket intact.

John
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
The folks in The Turn of the Page section are very knowledgeable about all magic things collectable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does any one know a good.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL