The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin cleaning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
What do you find is the best all round cleaner for coins. I find the copper ones tarnish the worst but handling all coins takes the shine off.

I am really enjoying using coins more and want them to look good.

Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
carla
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of carla
Interesting you should start this thread today. Just yesterday while sitting at my desk I polished a handful of coins up to a lovely shine by rubbing them vigorously with a pencil eraser.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
There are actually metal polishers (comes in a can and looks like cotton) that work just as good if not better than an eraser, but is twenty times easier and faster to use. Try a Hobby Lobby, perhaps even a harware store like Ace or Home Depot. You'll be bling blingin' it in no time!
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
Use Ketchup.
*poof*
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
LOL!!!!!
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Actually if you practice with your copper coins for about an hour or so, the moisture from your hands does a fantastic job of shining these coins up! (so you don't have to waste time just rubbing!

:)

Josh

P.S. I use wrights silver creme on my silver coins when they are just....<dank> dirty, otherwise I just use a Jewlers Towel, they work great on all coins. You should be able to get a Jewelers towel at any Jewelry store.
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
With most metal cleaners/polishers, liquid or paste, there is an abrasive or acid involved that removes the outer oxidized surface. There is a solution that instead reverses the tarnishing process, removing the oxides and sulfurs from the metal without removing the metal itself.

Place aluminum foil in a non-metallic pan or soup bowl of some sort (like one of those Pyrex dishes or porcelain). Put in a few spoons of baking soda, and place the object to be cleaned in good contact with the foil. Add boiling water, making sure to not break the contact between the foil and the object to be cleaned. There will be the unpleasant odor of eggs gone bad, and after a few minutes, the objects will no longer have tarnish on them. Then one can rinse the items under the tap to remove the baking soda, dry them, and then use one of those treated dry silver-polishing cloths to bring out the luster.

This method makes a battery out of the metals, allowing the tarnish to travel from the silver to the aluminum while leaving the silver behind. After you remove the aluminum foil, you'll see the deposited oxidation on it.

Good luck!
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Surprisingly, toothpaste works well. It keeps most of the patina, while getting rid of the bulk of the tarnish. I find that silver polish will shine the coins up too much.

-- Frank
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
I have found that TarnX has worked best with my coins. You can use it on Sterling Silver, Silver Plate, Platinum, Copper, and Gold. I have used it to clean my Centavo of the Scotch and Soda and it turns it from an almost rust color to a rich gold.
denver
View Profile
New user
Jefferson, GA
66 Posts

Profile of denver
Yeah, TarnX sounds so much better than the vinegar and water solution that was recommended in my scotch and soda set.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
To clean copper coins, They are INSTANTLY cleaned with salt and lemon juice. I use tooth paste for my steel coins and Bon Ami for jumbos.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Any ideas on C/S coins? I want the silver side shiny but the copper side as dark as possible.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Dan,

When I used to perform effects using a C/S coin, I simply took a tarnished C/S coin I had and polished only the silver side. When the silver side became dull with use, I'd again polish only that side. I did this for the same reason I suspect you want to do this -- the more contrast there is between the two sides, the more striking the transposition. This is particularly important when performing in low lighting conditions, for example in bars.

I no longer use a C/S coin because I wanted even more contrast. For that reason, I now use a Chinatown Half (with flesh in----) because I like the more pronounced contrast between a coin that's solid and a coin that has a hole in it.

Larry D.

P.S. - I've tried A LOT of different types of metal polish and the ABSOLUTE BEST polish I found is one that was recommended to me by a professional metal worker. I've kept it a secret for a long time (because I was going to market it as part of an effect), but what the heck, I'll share it with my Café friends. The product is called "Tarnite" metal polish.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I cleaned a load of old English pennies. Having cleaned them, I wanted to polish them up a bit. Of the items/polishes that I tried, far and away the best was a Goddard's Long Term Silver Polish Cloth.

I now keep one of those cloths just for my coins. It's good on silver coins, but it's remarkably good on copper coins.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like to use "Brasso" metal polish. It works fast and easy.

Never soak your "Cigarette Thru Quarter" inside a container of "TarnX." I tried it a couple of times. Each time it makes the spring break.
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I tend to use Brasso as well (even on the Silver)....but when I want a quick fix I use white eraser (not pink)....which cuts back on the residue and really gets in the cracks....
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

dynamike,
You shouldn't leave a coin in Tarn-x. You should just put some on a cloth or cotton ball and wipe it and wash it off with warm water. Maybe you had some different Tarn-x thing but it said not to leave in contact for over 3 minutes
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I use toothpaste and a Dremel Tool with a moderately soft brush to polish all of my coins very quickly. I even have a wood block with a English penny/Half Dollar sized depression to hold them while I buff them out. I then use neutral Kiwi brand shoe polish on a different dremel brush to seal in the lustre. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-09-02 14:45, MagicAndBlackjack wrote:
dynamike,
you shouldnt leave a coin in tarnx. you should just put some on a cloth or cotton ball and wipe it and wash it off with warm water, maybe you had some different tarnx thing but it said not to leave in contact for over 3 minutes

I wish you would have told me before I tried it.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Sorry to hear that dynamike.
Did anything happen other than the spring breaking?
TJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin cleaning (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL