The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Pendulum Magic: A Guide to Mystery Performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you, Billy-one. We've only begun to swing. (....sorry...Smile)

Mauricio: That's a splendid idea. We're starting on the second book next month. I will PM you about this -- because the idea of the pendulum moving when NO ONE's holding it???? Oh my!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 08:51, David Thiel wrote:
I'm endlessly surprised at how each pendulum seems to have its own personality -- and its own quirks. They feel as individual as people to me. Some are "happier" doing one effect...they just FIT that way.

When you think about it -- a pendulum is just a weight on a string, right? And it really SHOULDN'T matter what that weight is...or what the pendulum looks like...or how it feels in your hand, right?

But it DOES matter. I am not entirely sure why it does...just that it DOES. I use my Eye of the Dragon with a tarot routine and it's perfect there. Why?

I'm getting very interested in the horizontal pendulums, Bob Cassidy describes in "The Pendulum of Fate." It's an intriguing idea. Is anyone out there using one of these?

David

I've used it. I've used it as a follow on to traditional pendulum work when I've known I've had a "good" participant. It works nicely and has the advantage over an ordinary pendulum of having two of you using it. I frame it as we're going to try and connect our thoughts together. I've used it with cards, asking them to think of a card, passing it over. Whichever it indicates I claim is the one I was thinking of which will invariably be the one they thought of. I'd like really to put it to more use, but haven't come up with much more. I made two up, one a simple weight and a shoe lace and another prettier pendulum with the circular disc and two butterflies. It makes for an interesting object especially if using with people who are already familiar with ordinary pendulums. I have seen illustrations of similar construction used in dowsing, so maybe there are people out there using them for other purposes, but I'm yet to come across anyone familiar with the horizontal pendulum.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Bob's inclusion of it in "The Pendulum of Fate" is the first time I've ever seen a reference to it anywhere. It looks like a wonderful routine and an interesting "look."

Have you had GOOD success with it, Joshua?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I've had participants impressed that it located an object they thought of. People are fascinated by it. One woman was very interested to know if there was more literature written on it, but obviously didn't want to give the source so had to say no. One performance with ESP cards the man I felt did genuinely believe we had achieved a telepathic connection. He said he felt me place the circle in his head. So I'd say that was pretty successful. It doesn't have the same sense of wonder as when you give someone a pendulum for the first time and they see it move. But it does open up other possibilities with the interaction between two people.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've been thinking of a close-up/parlor set that has nothing BUT pendulums in it.

I really got blown away the very first time I put a pendulum into a spectator's hand and saw the completely over the top reaction it got. The person just stood there and was gobsmacked. He simply could not believe what had just happened. And, as you have alluded to, Joshua -- the truly un-deconstructable thing is that the magic happens IN THEIR HANDS.

I'd been doing magic for over 20 years and was only peripherally aware of pendulums. That amounts to how may hundreds of performances where I didn't use them? I have actually had clients offer to buy the pendulum right out of my hands.

So...when I read about the success you've been having with the horizontal pendulum...it makes me wonder how much more there can be to these splendid little devices.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
SO! Just in case you didn't know...we've just finalized arrangements to carry Bill Cushman's TRYBIL at http://www.magicpendulums.com

Trybil is an absolutely amazing book, loaded with information on multi-bob pendulums and some rock-your-world routines for standard single bob pendulums. There's also a Mauricio demo on-line available there that will blow your mind. (Well...it blew mine, anyway.) The list of contributors reads like a who's who of mentalism: Riggs, Arce, Landman, Salem, Jaramillo, Weber, Hilford, Knepper, Finley just to name a few.

Our idea is to make the absolute BEST resources on pendulum use available all in one place. So far we have three outstanding books as well as Pablo Amira's outstanding course. If anyone has other recommendations, I'd be delighted to hear about them either by PM or here on this thread.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5110 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Bill´s eBook is GREAT and full of excellent information not just for MultiPendulums but also very good ideas for Pendulums.

Great work David !

It would be nice to see some pendulums in video and in action Smile
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I now have three of Sheree and David's beautiful pendulums. People love them! My wife covets one and would relieve me of it it had a necklace chain.

Until recently I only used a pendulum in Seven Keys to Baldpate in closeup (so the spectator can find the key). Now I use one in my Witches Almanac/Ipswich Routine and keep getting other ideas for its use.

I'm working on a whole close-up/parlor program featuring pendulums exclusively, including readings.

I have to thank Rich too! It was one of his pendulums using a locket with an ancient Roman coin that got me going in this direction.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2820 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I was very flattered to be asked to add Trybil to Magic Pendulum's catalog. It is a very good fit, David's a great guy and Sheree's pendulums are wonderful.

OK, Andre, having a special interest in The Witch's Almanac, as well as pendulums, you sure have my curiosity piqued!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I can totally see how a pendulum would enhance the already amazing Witches Almanac. Even if it's just for ambiance -to contact the energies of the book- it's a perfect fit
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Just ordered the book
It can now sit alongside Trybil and Pablo's book.

Now which pendulum shall I get??????

steve
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Last night, I took an idea from the outstanding "The Jack the Ripper Seance" by Paul Voodini when I was doing Outlaw's Luna...and it worked brilliantly. It is one of the few times where I've gotten an idea on the spur of the moment and decided to do it. (I am a very anal person...but the idea was SO good that I wanted to try it.)

The room was already lit in candle-light...and something creepy by Nox Arcana was playing (Okay I KNOW it SOUNDS a little over the top...but trust me: the place had loads of atmosphere.)

Here's the new stuff: I had all the people there...twelve in total...each put their index finger on my Luna book while I described Colney Hatch -- just as I always do. I asked if there was someone who felt a special affinity for the place...or maybe the story I'd just told. The volunteer selected herself.

I gave her the book and had her make her selection (If you have Luna you know what that means...it's a f**ce of sorts.)THEN I gave her a pendulum. As I shared my "impressions" of the person she was thinking of, I directed my questions to the pendulum -- not necessarily the volunteer.

Guess what? THE PENDULUM answered correctly. So I would say something like: "I'm thinking of a strong female presence. Is that correct? Swing side to side if the answer is 'yes.' Swing in circles if the answer is 'no.'"

My volunteer was totally blown away. I mean she was totally on the hook. Her reactions were genuine...and just fed the reactions of the people watching. It was like there was complete awe in the room.

Want to talk about a logical disconnect? From their perspective, I had no idea what patient she had chosen. I wasn't touching the pendulum and it was confirming my impressions like it was a person.

It was a Perfect Moment. My volunteer really thought the pendulum was answering me. Her reactions were pure gold.

I had at the back of my mind that, if the pendulum routine wasn't working, I would just go back to doing Luna the "usual" way. But it really DID work. it was almost too intense. Does that make sense?

But it's an idea I'm going to be working with because there's something remarkable there. What I was reminded of in Paul's two excellent books on the topic of seances was that the effect -- the "pop" at the end is really just the icing on the cake. The real purpose is the JOURNEY you take your audience on. (One of these days I WILL stop thinking like a magician...I know I can. I know I can. I know...)

It's true that having them put their fingers on the book did nothing to further the effect -- but the impact added to the presentation (and the journey of the effect) was much more powerful AND the pendulum finish was nearly letter perfect. When we were done -- the Luna effect and THEIR involvement in it was what they were talking about. And they were EXCITED. They kept asking her what it felt like. Off the charts, folks.

My volunteer asked me if she could buy the pendulum from me (which is the second time that's happened).

I simply cannot believe how perfectly pendulums work themselves into existing presentations.

David

Steve: Thank you very much for the order! Later today we're introducing a new feature called "In the Spotlight." It's going to be a new design, shown once a week or so that will get a much higher profile. Have a look at the one we're putting on today.

www.magicpendulums.com
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
That sounds amazing David. Glad it went so well. Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 14:54, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
One of the things that impresses me the most is that a pendulum can move without directly touching it, you just keep it hanging from something at a distance and control its every movement with no gimmicks whatsoever. This is probably one of the most real things I do and how I handle multi-bob pendulums in most of my shows and close up situations, though it can be accomplished with single pendulums as well. This is a rather unexplored area and one that I touched in another book. David, perhaps a future book can include some thoughts on non-contact pendulum routines?

YOU are a MASTER, in this area, Mauricio, if anyone should be writing a book about this it should be you Smile
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Kauri io, I'm waiting with bated breath.

David, I want to thank you for a great evening.
(maybe I should explain myself before you all make up your own stories)

There are lots of books that contain great effects, some have wonderfully thought out methods.
But there are not so many that have both these, and are just a great read.
I've just spent a pleasant evening reading this from start to finish.
It was a most pleasurable experience.

Once again thank you.
Steve

PS I like the look of the Stonehenge pendulum
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 21:00, Bill Cushman wrote:
I was very flattered to be asked to add Trybil to Magic Pendulum's catalog. It is a very good fit, David's a great guy and Sheree's pendulums are wonderful.

OK, Andre, having a special interest in The Witch's Almanac, as well as pendulums, you sure have my curiosity piqued!

By the time I am ready to begin the Almanac/Ipswich Routine I have already used the pendulum as have others in the group. Generally everyone has used one as I no longer perform on stage but in intimate settings. I stress that the ideomotor response is a direct link to the subconscious and that the pendulum should be used as an affirmation rather than an answer to a question. I don't want to create any shut-eyes who are dependent on a pendulum for all their decisions, and believe me there are some out there!

By now I know the two people I will use for the books depending how "into" this the participants are. Hopefully the one who invited or hired me would get the Almanac to encourage others to have their own gathering.

To whoever is chosen for the Almanac I then do Seven Keys to Baldpate ( which in this case is Five Keys to Baldpate since after their success they will be working with five Tarot cards). This, using the pendulum, is a real convincer and I make the most of it commenting on their intuition (I always use the the words intuit, intuitive, intuitively or intuition rather than psychic or paranormal, etc., in my presentations and readings) and talk about the Web (Thank you Mr. Cassidy!).

I stand next to the one doing the key business and when completed I give her (it 's always a woman...so far) the five Tarot cards and ask her to mix the cards face down and lay them out in a half-circle like the keys were laid out. I explain that the Almanac has a bewildering number of entries, over 500 to be exact, and I want her to use her intuitive powers to choose the entry that speaks to her by eliminating two cards that don't "feel right" and using the the other three in any order to find her entry.

I, of course, am still standing next to her so when she sets two cards aside I'm home free and return to my seat before she turns over her cards and without picking up or appearing to have any interest in the discards.

Now the revelations are highly personal to her and resonate in a manner much more effectively than "pick three cards, etc." . That's pretty much it for the Almanac. I'm still working on exactly how I will use the pendulum in Ipswich, which is still a work in progress for me, though I have some ideas thanks to a new pendulum from David and Sheree.

I do not have a paying group set up at this time so I have time to explore this further. I'm flattered by your interest, Bill, and if you (or anyone else with the patience to read this far) has any comments, criticisms or suggestions I would be pleased to hear them!

Andre
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've been thinking lately that the people who use pendulums would probably be happy taking a cruise ship to their vacation destination instead of an airplane. The idea that the JOURNEY is what really counts in these presentations is critical, I think -- to the way to effectively use pendulums in performance. I've always thought so -- but having read Paul's book (as per the post above) it's been driven home even more strongly.

What do I remember as a spectator, about what I experienced? I remember the things that involved or delighted ME...little traveler snapshots, taken on the journey to get somewhere interesting.

As I read your post, Andre -- I feel fairly certain that we could meet quite naturally on a cruise ship one day.

You GET the whole journey aspect.

Your routine sounds delightful. I'd like to see it one day.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
My journey sucked last night!
I had a woman, that would only swing in circle, counter clock wise for everything!(her established 'yes')
When she went to chosen card,I was able to point out how the size of her circle swing was much larger in diameter ! Smile
Still played out well! *hit happens! LOL

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am not sure if this qualifies or not. What happened to you has only happened to me once. It was in a hospitality suite and my volunteer was both drunk AND stoned -- but he carried it so well that I didn't notice until he got close to me. Back and forth...the only response he could get from the pendulum.

Every single other time -- many of them -- the pendulum has always responded exactly as it was supposed to.

Maybe that was the issue with your lady, Gary?

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Thank you David! The journey is everything. When you do a follow-up with a client you should always ask what they remember most about your performance. The answers are sometimes surprising and always an important learning experience for you.

While it is nice to have them mention a particular effect, and sometimes that is what you get, it is so much more gratifying when they tell you it ended too soon and they want you back next year or (the holy grail) it was a very emotional experience.

That is the allure of the pendulum. You can weave it into many situations and when it is done in their hands, you have an emotional hook! Chances are they will remember that emotional moment (and hopefully your name).

I have been at this for many years and I remember a gig twenty some years back working tables for three hours at wedding reception for 300 people at an upscale hotel dining room. I came armed to the teeth with ith my best stuff and more. Due to some family conflict less than 100 showed up and were not in the best spirits. I covered all the tables with my best material and again with backup stuff in under two hours.

I spent the next hour working only with rubber bands and had people ask me to come back and do that thing with the rubber bands that separate when you rub them together. That is what they remembered, and the client thanked me for getting everyone talking. She said I seemed to be having a such a good time that it was infectious, and oh, she loved the rubber band trick (which I hadn't even considered as a backup effect).l

So you never know. If the journey is only to bring people together for awhile in a shared emotional experience you can count it as a success.

g
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Pendulum Magic: A Guide to Mystery Performers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL