The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Broken Wand - Peter White, P&A Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
From the P&A Website:

August 21, 2011
It is with great sadness that I am announcing the passing of Peter White, the owner and operator of P&A Silks. Peter lost his battle with cancer this weekend. Peter was a great friend to not only myself, but to the entire magic community. He will be missed by all of us.

Calling hours will be on Wednesday, August 24th from 5pm to 7pm at the Yadack-Fox Funeral Home, 209 Main Street, Germantown, NY 12526. (518) 537-6166
A Broken Wand Ceremony will be held at 5pm.

Peter's unrivaled passion for silks and silk magic put him in a class all by himself. His belief in producing a quality & perfect product gave the magic community a collection of the highest quality silk-screened silk handkerchiefs made individually by hand in his own factory.

Peter was often heard telling his customers, "when I'm gone, there will be no more silks like these." He would then explain that the process was long and complex to produce a single silk, and joke that "no one else would want to do this." I think once I even heard him say it a different way - "no one else would be crazy enough to do this." I know this first-hand to be true, as I and a few others have spent time at the factory on printing days to see how much work and attention to detail went into the creation of an original P&A Silk. What I saw was nothing less than amazing.

Peter & Cynthia's dedication to the business of P&A Silks is reflected by an old addage: If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. And every P&A product was an example of great American craftsmanship. Consider yourself fortunate if a P&A Silk is part of your magic repertoire or collection. As Peter would say, "Use it well."

Peter spent a lifetime teaching, and he was always ready to explain how to properly use his silks in a magic performance. He also encouraged magicians to think for themselves and be creative using the fundamental silk-handling skills that he taught. Peter's mentorship to many practicing magicians today is evidenced by the posters that cover the walls of his factory with notes of "thank you."

Thank you, Peter, for all you taught me about life and magic. You'll be missed forever.

Sincerely,
Herb Klumpe
P&A Silks Webmaster
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Craig, I met Peter in the early 1980's in Middletown, New York when he attended a SAM meeting we had at Magic Ian's Magic Shop. I bought several silks from him to include the mis made flag. They have held up real well all these years, even after my washing them now and then.

If I am not mistaken, he also attended our SEAM Convention in Macon, Ga. in the early 1990's.

I loved his wit and demeanor. He will be greatly missed.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
370 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Craig, a great loss. Peter was a good friend, a great magician and a loving and giving performer who always gave 110% of his magic, his knowledge and his love for the art. I for one will miss him terribly.

Maria
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Glen

Good memory, Peter was there in Macon. that is where I met you as well. I remember I had to sort of take over the dealer room due to work issues with the dealer chairman who could not be there for first two days. Pete was at many of the conventions we did, and we always had fun. Cynthia was a saint. What many did not know were the many sides of Pete. Beside the silks, he was a music teacher, an incredible Jazz Drummer, a machinist, and I was told his most recent works were on machining coins. What ever he attempted, he did with a passion, and would not stop until is was the best it could be. One of a kind, and will be greatly missed. Thanks Maria, I will be at the Memorial and Broken Wand on Wednesday night to say goodbye for us all.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
265 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
RIP - I met Peter and Cynthia several times through the years at various conventions. He definitely put out a great product and will be missed.
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
370 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Craig, I will be saying a prayer as that ceremony is taking place....I will miss Peter forever.
Hugs,

Maria
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Maria

Email me your mailing address, my hard drive crashed, all was backed up except apparently the mailing database I have something to send you.
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
370 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Craig, I emailed you all my data. Hugs

Maria
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
It seems way too many are leaving us too early. Rest in peace.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
afuntimevent
View Profile
New user
CT
82 Posts

Profile of afuntimevent
Peter was unique, to say the least.

More people knew him through buying his silks, but I was fortunate to also have attended a lecture he gave at a Clown City January Jamboree in Mystic CT at least a decade ago. The lecture wasn't billed as such, but it was a master class in silk. And Peter was more than willing to share everything he knew. It was way more than the sum of the tricks he taught.

I always enjoyed talking with him & Cindy at the conventions where he was a dealer.

RIP

Marlene Clark
S.A.M. National Secretary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Broken Wand - Peter White, P&A Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL