The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Google experts: I need personal help... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
So, people who are really good with search engines (like Balducci, maybe): I've got a problem, and I would like to get an answer before tomorrow morning. I've searched myself, but have found nothing official.

On pure impulse I decided to visit my parents in Hong Kong. I already bought the ticket, and leave on 04 September.

So my wife just threw a wrench into the plan by asking, "Jeff, isn't your passport due to expire?"

"Yes, dear, it expires on October 15."

"Well dear," [my wife and I still call each other "dear", because she doesn't know that I'm in love with a lesbian, like y'all do....] "are you sure Hong Kong doesn't have one of those rules that says that your passport must be valid for the next six months?"

And then it hit me that I've got a problem. A lot of countries have that six-month rule. A quick Google search turned up sites that say it's "recommended" for Hong Kong. But I haven't found anything official, and I'm not good at this.

Now I'm in a panic, because my parents are already expecting me...and there is no way (even if I pay extra fees for an "expedited renewal") that I can reliably expect to get my passport renewed in less than two weeks. But if there were any chance whatsoever, I would have to leave early tomorrow morning to be at an embassy or consulate before working hours, meaning I can't wait until tomorrow morning and call the embassy. I need to be the first one in line for a passport renewal.

So, any help to ease my mind would be appreciated.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
It appears you'll be cutting it close

from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1136.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: FOR U.S. CITIZENS: To enter Hong Kong, you will need a passport that is valid for at least one month beyond the date of your intended stay, adequate funds to cover your stay without working locally, and evidence of onward/return transportation. Many neighboring areas require that your passport is valid for at least six months before they will allow you to enter, so if you plan on regional travel beyond Hong Kong, make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the date you plan to enter such areas. You do not need a visa for tourist visits of up to 90 days. You may be granted an extension of your stay if you apply to the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department. You must have an appropriate visa to work or study in Hong Kong. Visit the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department or the Embassy of the People's Republic of China website for the most current visa information.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Is your passport German or American?
If German, you can contact the [url=http://www.hongkong.diplo.de/]German Consulate General in Hong Kong.

If American, try conta...... General
in Hong Kong.

If anyone knows what to do, they do.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
John, I have an American passport with a permanent residency sticker for Germany in it. I mean, no official should have any reason to assume I have any intention of staying past the date on my return ticket. I could even show them my university ID card (showing I have steady work in Germany.)

Payne, thanks for your link, because "one month beyond my intended stay" is what I have, to the day. Cutting it close is right, but it still makes me think there shouldn't be a problem.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
BTW, the interesting thing about my permanent residency sticker (German has no equivalent of a "green card") is this: should I be able to get a new passport, but not have time to get a new residency sticker in my new passport, then I would have the problem of explaining why I have only a round flight ticket to Hong Kong from Germany without an entry sticker at a German airport.

On a side note: the German immigration people look bored, as if they aren't paying attention. But they have, on every occasion I've traveled with my son, noticed that I have a permanent residency sticker in my passport and he doesn't. The last time I tried this, the immigration cop didn't even look at me. He just said (I'm translating badly, perhaps), "give me his other documentation, please...", meaning, "You silly American game-playing SOB...give me your son's German passport, you bone head."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Vee must see the boys papers. Vere are zee papers!?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Google experts: I need personal help... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL