The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Earthquake now in NYC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just felt the house here in Brooklyn shake. I thought it was something to do with the new telephone lines being installed. My son just texted me that they're evacuating his building in midtown Manhattan. Any other reports?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I just read this morning that they had a 5.3 in Colorado which is also very rare. Largest in 100 years.

End Times?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Virginia, New Jersey, and North Carolina reporting quakes.

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Felt in DC, VA and MD. I guess it was around a 5.8
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I was out in the garden in DC, and at first I thought there was a squirrel on my roof, then the whole house shook. When we lived in La Jolla in the 70's we had them all the time.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Nothing here in Goettingen.

:)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Now they are saying it might have been an underground nuke (probably set off by Halliburton). Or possibly a meth lab in WV blowing up.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Frack!

No really- I've heard some people say it's all the fracking being done around there lately. Don't know if I buy that theory, though...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Two reactors taken off line down at a VA nuclear power plant.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
My sister felt the quake in Wilmington, Delaware ... and I just read that tremors were felt as far away as in Toronto, Canada.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Obama just issued a statement. He blames Bush.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1469 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
USGS reporting a magnitude of 5.9 and a depth of 0.1km - seems incredibly shallow!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/r......311a.php

Mike
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
I’m having an irrigation system being installed so I assumed the digging machine just got too close to the foundation! Until I saw the chandelier swinging. Wow.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-23 14:49, Marlin1894 wrote:
Obama just issued a statement. He blames Bush.

Funny.
But I believe AL Qaeda already claimed credit.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2280 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Earthquake today, hurricane on the way. Who says the east coast is safe?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
We got a little woozy up here on the 30th floor in down town Boston.

I grew up in Las Vegas, so it's not my first seismic event. (Especially back when they still did below-ground nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site.) But it was my first one in a > 2 story building. That adds a bit more to the experience.

Namely, it sucks a lot more.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
What would hurt more when an earthquake hit, getting a digital rectal exam, or putting the finishing touches on the worlds domino display?

Once in Japan we were playing pool and someone made a shot, I don't even remember if it was me or someone else, a ball hung in the pocket and looked like it was going to drop but didn't fall, and as we were all watching it the ground started to tremble, then the whole room shook, and they ball dropped. It was pretty cool.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-08-23 15:09, Michael Daniels wrote:
USGS reporting a magnitude of 5.9 and a depth of 0.1km - seems incredibly shallow!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/r......311a.php

Mike
That is incredibly shallow. Over here in CA, the earthquakes usually occur at a depth of 2.0km or more. Then again, Virginia isn't near any fault lines. There may be something to the hydraulic fracturing theory. I looked at a satellite map of the epicenter, and there's not much there but a small building- then again, gas mines wouldn't need a big surface presence, would they?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
According to Michael's link the depth was 6km at the epicenter. I read a report that said 1km. So, I don't know if these are measurements at different places/times or misreporting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Earthquake now in NYC (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL