The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Odd paint can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Somebody please explain this to me. I have a can of Rustoleum gloss red enamel that has stopped spraying while in the upright position, but will when the can is upside down. It is not 'marking' paint either. I think I should call Australia and ask them if they are missing a can.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
If they're not missing a can down there, I'd guess maybe the plastic tube inside fell off.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm with George. The tube that feeds the paint from the bottom of the can has come loose or if it has been spraying like that from the beginning perhaps it was never installed.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That makes sense. Dang! It still has a lot of paint in the can.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Michael:

That happens quite a bit with Rustoleum's Painter's Touch brand - I've got quite a few cans that I can't use that still have a fair amount of paint in them. I've never had this happen with Krylon, but quite a bit with Painter's Touch. It has always puzzled me too.

Ron
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Silly question, but why wouldn't you be able to just use the can upside down if it sprays that way?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-08-24 21:44, George Ledo wrote:
Silly question, but why wouldn't you be able to just use the can upside down if it sprays that way?

The only time that happened to me, the paint wouldn't atomize correctly, and it ran and puddled.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well, I was doing some touch up on the legs on a head chopper I just picked up, so I went ahead and sprayed what I needed to. It was easy enough to manipulate the workpiece to catch the spray, but spraying with the can upside down is not as easy as it sounds. I would never try to use such a technique on anything I was building to sell. I don't think I could trust the results.

I had another can (yellow gloss) stop spraying a few weeks ago, and even trying another brand new nozzle on it, still would not work. I didn't try it upside down though, but it was basically a brand new can, so back to the store it went. This one (red) was about half gone, so I might just eat that.

I actually wish there was a simple technique to recover the paint from the can, save it in a jar and use for touch ups.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Michael, you could always drive a small nail through the side of the can. If you choose the correct location you should be able to hold the can in the upright position while spraying the paint. More of the paint may be usable if you make the hole toward the bottom of the can. I haven't actually done this, so you may need to experiment. I suggest trying it on several cans of paint with various degrees of fullness.

Of course before you make the hole, you'll need to secure the can in a vise. I would suggest using small finishing nail and a fairly large hammer. Oh yeah, it might be a good idea to wear safety glasses....and some old clothes at this point.

After you have driven the nail through the can, do not remove it right away! Leave it in the can until you are ready to spray the paint. (Don't be alarmed if some leakage of paint occurs...this is probably normal) You will need to have your project ready before you extract the nail from the can. As soon as as you remove the nail, be ready to go at it! You should be able to spray your project in no time at all! (Provided you can get started quickly enough)

Good luck! I hope this works for you. Let us know what you find out.

Regan

Disclaimer: This is a joke. Doing the experiment described above could.....er.......will most likely be hazardous and could cause serious injury or death. OR BOTH!!!!! Smile
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Regan,

I was beginning to wonder about your sanity until I read your disclaimer!! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
I actually wish there was a simple technique to recover the paint from the can, save it in a jar and use for touch ups.

I occasionally need just a tiny bit of spray paint for a touchup, so I spray some into the cap or another container. The paint goes into the container and the propellant goes off into the air. It does make a bit of a mess, but it works; the trick is to point the nozzle at the side of the container (at an angle), not at the paint that's collecting. You could try doing a little at a time and pouring it into another container until you empty the can.
www.georgefledo.net

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Have you tried the spray can triggers available at the Dollar Stores and Walmart. It makes it easy to spray with the can upside-down.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
George,

I do that all the time for spot touch ups, but never tried collecting it all. I usually have to wait some time for the solvent to evaporate a bit so the paint has the viscosity to cover when brushed on. I'd bet thin it would work well in an airbrush.

Bill,

I have some of those here... might give it a shot.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Funny, I thought of an airbrush right after I hit the Submit button. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I usually use a plastic plate. Sometimes, if I need more time, I will cover the plate with plastic wrap and spray the paint directly onto it. After the paint pools up a bit I will fold the plastic wrap over it. This will slow the drying process a little and give me more time.

Michael, you're not the first to wonder about my sanity!
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Odd paint can (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL